Club announcement - Matai & Stewart to Retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
And welcome to a new Rort, and what I see as the eventual demise of the salary cap due to the system being broken, to,e and time again.

I'm convinced that they will eventually move to a points system to even up the comp.

What we have now with TPA's, Rorts , brown paper bags, double contracts etc etc ain't working!!

But a points system won't address the prime purpose of the salary cap ... and that is to stop stupid clubs spending themselves into bankruptcy in the vain attempt to win a premiership. The more "even" comp is just a by product of the cap.

Chn 9 and the NRL have proven beyond any doubt that the concept of an even playing field is a myth.

Steve76

Reserve Grader
Ok so we know the nrl players injury compensation is a farce and will be applied individually to suit whichever club/player they favor on the day..
My thoughts, if rugby league players have an ABN they can pay their own workers compensation premium and cover themselves for whatever they like.
If a player prefers to be an employee, (payg) why can't their managers negotiate as part of the individual contract their own private policy??
Would definitely be better left to the insurance companies to decide themselves whether a player will be paid out

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Ok so we know the nrl players injury compensation is a farce and will be applied individually to suit whichever club/player they favor on the day..
My thoughts, if rugby league players have an ABN they can pay their own workers compensation premium and cover themselves for whatever they like.
If a player prefers to be an employee, (payg) why can't their managers negotiate as part of the individual contract their own private policy??
Would definitely be better left to the insurance companies to decide themselves whether a player will be paid out

The Insurance companies do decide themselves regarding a claim ... the NRL has nothing to do with that.

The only thing the NRL rules on is whether to allow the balance of the injured players contract to still count in the salary cap or whether to deduct it.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The purpose of the rule Tragic is to prevent clubs doing exactly what Parra did with Watmough (and got away with it) and what Newcastle are now attempting to do with Mat Scott.

Thanks Woodside you raise a good point . I can however see a distinction between long term club players and stars signed up in their twilight. In my view if a club has the financial capacity to pay overs for great players at the end of their careers then what's the harm in that. It stops the players taking off overseas for a final payday. The NRL should simply not register back ended deals for players in this category with a requirement that each year of the contract is for the same amount. We still have a level playing field in reality because whilst the player is on the field the clubs are within their cap.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Thanks Woodside you raise a good point . I can however see a distinction between long term club players and stars signed up in their twilight. In my view if a club has the financial capacity to pay overs for great players at the end of their careers then what's the harm in that. It stops the players taking off overseas for a final payday. The NRL should simply not register back ended deals for players in this category with a requirement that each year of the contract is for the same amount. We still have a level playing field in reality because whilst the player is on the field the clubs are within their cap.

And besides. Watmough had a couple of years left on his contract. Matai and Stewart have one left of reasonable length contract periods.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

Alas poor Tragic, for you are honourable ... football clubs aren't. The nature of the circumstances regarding aging legends is that they invariably want more years than their incumbent clubs are willing to commit to when taking into consideration their age and diminishing abilities. i.e. Watmough, Glen Stewart,

There is nothing wrong with paying overs for great players as long as you fully expect them to play every year that you contract them for.

The actual and very real situation is clubs will sign big names for three years knowing full well the player will be lucky to last two. If the NRL make it easy to say, gee he;s injured and can't play the last year ... don't worry we won't count that as part of the salary cap, and insurance companies jump in and pay iffy claims then anarchy will reign ... anarchy I tell you and the rorters will win..

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Alas poor Tragic, for you are honourable ... football clubs aren't. The nature of the circumstances regarding aging legends is that they invariably want more years than their incumbent clubs are willing to commit to when taking into consideration their age and diminishing abilities. i.e. Watmough, Glen Stewart,

There is nothing wrong with paying overs for great players as long as you fully expect them to play every year that you contract them for.

The actual and very real situation is clubs will sign big names for three years knowing full well the player will be lucky to last two. If the NRL make it easy to say, gee he;s injured and can't play the last year ... don't worry we won't count that as part of the salary cap, and insurance companies jump in and pay iffy claims then anarchy will reign ... anarchy I tell you and the rorters will win..
They are winning at present aren't they?

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Surely there's a precedence to what and how the NRL rule in/out of the cap. I hope Manly go after the NRL on this.

What the NRL say is that if the injury is new since the time of signing their latest contract and if it is deemed a career ending injury they will give salary cap dispensation.

The argument with Snake and Matai is whether their career ending injuries are new since their last contracts.

however the precedent has been set with Matmough which is Tod Greenturd will do whatever he wants.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So let's say player A a forward who for the past 10 years has been a battering ram and has sustained repeated delayed head trauma. In other words has had his brain mashed finally gets knocked out one too many times and can't play again do the NRL say well actually it's not a new injury so no dispensation.
Or do they say OMG it's a compounded head injury we all know how bad that is let's write it off..... it's completely down to determination at the time and by who. Therefore a corrupt system.
So in essence Manly need to run shoulders and snake out this year and hope they sustain a new injury early on. Bet the brains trust at the NRL would love to get a call Monday morning saying ' looks like Matai has been paralysed in a neck injury yesterday. Better get your check book out greenturd'.
Disgrace.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Greenturd does not understand that this is a growing problem due to the increase in the average physique of the players.
They cause more damage and more often @:cool:

Injury prone players like Tedesco, S Johnson and other young stars, that his business depends on, are one injury away from medical retirement. @:eek:

All their injuries are compounding ones too. So is he going to deny their Cap exemptions? :rolleyes:

Anyone with dodgy hamstrings/knees (Tedesco, SJ,Fiz, Duges..) is another Snake in the making.
Anyone with recurring shoulder injuries (Slater,Fiz,Reed...) is another Matai in the making.

Over to you Toddy o_O

Peter C

Bencher
We've only ourselves to blame, Matai was offered a long term deal by the Warriors and we refused to give him a release when we all knew he was basically one tackle away from a career ending injury.
As for Snake, despite all the talk of him possibly going to another club l doubt that this was ever the case, his best years were certainly behind him and has chronic knee problems, yet we offered him an extended three year deal rather than take it one year at a time.

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
We've only ourselves to blame, Matai was offered a long term deal by the Warriors and we refused to give him a release when we all knew he was basically one tackle away from a career ending injury.
As for Snake, despite all the talk of him possibly going to another club l doubt that this was ever the case, his best years were certainly behind him and has chronic knee problems, yet we offered him an extended three year deal rather than take it one year at a time.
His last year was a one year extension.

tookey

First Grader
I understand why the rule is there that players who are forced into retirement by a non pre-existing injury are exempt from the salary cap but why should clubs be penalised for players whose bodies have been smashed beyond repair and are no longer able to play and fulfill the remainder of their contracts?

If we don't receive exemption for their salaries under the cap then we are playing with a cap $1m less than every other team

Hardly fair

Sea Eagles' war with NRL over Brett Stewart just getting started

The Sea Eagles are at war with the NRL over the remaining year of Stewart’s contract after the 31-year-old was forced to retire due to injury.

Under NRL rules, players who are forced into retirement by a non pre-existing injury are exempt from the salary cap

The NRL’s chief medical officer Paul Bloomfield has already rejected Manly’s request on Stewart’s behalf due to the full-back’s history of serious knee injuries throughout his 233-game career for the Sea Eagles

According to Fairfax Media, the Peninsula club will appeal the decision to NRL integrity unit chief Nick Weeks in the coming days

But all will not be lost if Weeks also denies the Stewart request, with an independent mediator to make the final decision should the standoff continue.

The Sea Eagles could also face the same scenario with centre Steve Matai, who has also been forced into early retirement

The NRL are yet to decide whether to grant Matai’s medical clearance

It is understood the Sea Eagles would clear $1 million in salary cap space if Stewart and Matai are both declared medically exempt.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...on-in-stewart-fight/ymy6oefeg10d1qmq1zzw0uc0i

tookey

First Grader
Snake wanted to go to the raiders but we refused him a release

Ned

Bencher
It is understood the Sea Eagles would clear $1 million in salary cap space if Stewart and Matai are both declared medically exempt.

I just don't see what good it'll do us at this point in the season, there's no real replacements for these guys on the market until next season. We're just going to get some fill in guys that other teams are looking to offload anyway.

We've got what we've got for this season, so basically a 23 man squad with these guys sitting out the season. Scary thought!!

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
I just don't see what good it'll do us at this point in the season, there's no real replacements for these guys on the market until next season. We're just going to get some fill in guys that other teams are looking to offload anyway.

We've got what we've got for this season, so basically a 23 man squad with these guys sitting out the season. Scary thought!!

A club could sign anyone, how many players have signed elsewhere and got an early release. A couple than come to mind Joe Tapine and Pauli to Canberra. A contract means nothing. You could go after any player with a year left on their contract and most times they get an early release.

Hamster Huey

Space Invader
And if we didnt extend the contract every man and his dog is complaining about Manly not looking after its stars of the passed. Damned if you do damned if you dont
What clubs were in the market for two rapidly aging players, at the time of the re-signings?
Maybe a bit of noise initially but the writing was on the wall. The club could have managed this one better, but they panicked.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
12 6 6 -39 14