Club culture 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I've been reading where there's a split in the playing group apparently triggered by the departure of Foz. Supposedly the 'senior players' have their knickers pretty bloody knotted. No idea if it's true and all a bit bizarre if it is.
I've also been reading about the failed Blacktown experiment - who knows if it's actually an experiment or we're just stuck with it.
Put the two together and club culture looms large.
I wonder if the importation of those very good boys from the Western Suburbs has been properly accommodated. It works very well at Penrith because, dah!, they're slap bang in the middle of the place. Pride is a real driver. Teams like Melbourne and the Roosters can accommodate them because they have a strong culture that any player gets swept in to.

I'm just a fan so have no idea what happens in the inner sanctum if there is such a thing.
A number of the players we brought over are very close to Moses Suli. We didn't hear of a rift when he was let go but we do hear of one when Foz is shown the door. And Foz has been shown the door to accommodate a Western Suburbs lad.
I guess the question is, does the club in general and Dessie in particular have the social nous to blend the beaches boys with the kids from the West and the 'senior players' with the talented youth coming through?
I have to say, to my eyes, it doesn't look like it. And if they can't make it work, the club will be a basket case for years to come.

Foz has apparently stated that the club had to been good to him and always made it clear from the outset he would only be doing a maximum of 2 years at the club. I think the situation with Marty might be interesting though. He is on his last year as most of us know. I would imagine he would like to stay longer.

It's interesting... who in our team would you classify as senior players?
Turbo, jurbo, dce? (Marty & walker who are leaving themselves)...
Maybe they could all give back a portion of their salaries so we could keep Foz?!

As I recall that's what the old boys used to do to keep the team together (all except for dce apparently)...

What it has looked like to me this year is that we are not a focussed and we are not a disciplined side. We lack a on field leader that makes good decisions 90% of the time. DCE does not and the manner he cuts back inside doubling back must drive those outside of him crazy. We lack line speed and intensity in defence. The boys don’t look inspired and don’t look like they are giving 110% for one another or the coach.

What it has looked like to me this year is that we are not a focussed and we are not a disciplined side. We lack a on field leader that makes good decisions 90% of the time. DCE does not and the manner he cuts back inside doubling back must drive those outside of him crazy. We lack line speed and intensity in defence. The boys don’t look inspired and don’t look like they are giving 110% for one another or the coach.
Watch the way Nathan Cleary plays.He doesn’t overplay his hand and he’s very direct and appears to have a plan or purpose

Chicken or egg? Losing brings speculation about everything, from coach losing dressing room to player unrest.
Or those problems can lead to losing.
I don't consider Des a genius but he is a very experienced (and sucessful) coach, in particular known for generating loyalty and spirit within his squads.
As I recall the disharmony around Gift and Co was not on Des's watch. Neither was the Jacko thing.
My take, I'm sure Foz has quickly become a popular and respected figure in the squad, but I find it a bit far-fetched to think players are shocked he's not staying.

Chicken or egg? Losing brings speculation about everything, from coach losing dressing room to player unrest.
I don't consider Des a genius but he is a very experienced (and sucessful) coach, in particular known for generating loyalty and spirit within his squads.
As I recall the disharmony around Gift and Co was not on Des's watch. Neither was the Jacko thing.
My take, I'm sure Foz has quickly become a popular and respected figure in the squad, but I find it a bit far-fetched to think players are shocked he's not staying.
It’s more likely to be about Marty than Foz

It's interesting... who in our team would you classify as senior players?
Turbo, jurbo, dce? (Marty & walker who are leaving themselves)...
Maybe they could all give back a portion of their salaries so we could keep Foz?!

As I recall that's what the old boys used to do to keep the team together (all except for dce apparently)...
If it is players like Trbo, Jrbo etc then they should keep their mouths shut as they aren’t worth the dollars they’re on currently! Highly doubt its Walker or Marty as, like you say, they’re leaving. In fact not one current player should be taking sides or have an opinion as to who the club can afford to keep or let go as not one of them is playing well enough to do so….apart from Olakau’atu, Koula or Tuipulotu who seem to be the only ones putting in!

They really haven’t played well all season so I’d doubt Foran’s situation is the issue and nor it should be.These guys are professionals and players come and go regularly.If they were tearing up the comp in the matter the Storm and Penrith are,you could argue why players weren’t re-signed,but there needs to be a shift or a shake up for them to take the next step or two

Last edited:
It’s more likely to be about Marty than Foz
Same diff. Marty turns 33 in feb next year. I'm sure he could belt out another tough season or two but is anyone seriously shocked that Manly isn't retaining him? Especially noting that it seems the club was very up-front with him about this quite some time ago, so it's not as though he has suddenly been let down.
I'm a Marty fan but again, the idea that players are angry with the club for not retaining him seems a bit far fetched to me.
Walker too, very popular guy who can play, but has missed so much footy, and some of it through his own fault.
I get that players form bonds but they are not stupid, they know it is professional sport and players come and go. That's how most of them got here in the first place!!

I have heard from someone that works at the club that Schuster loves Foran and is happy to play wherever he is picked.

Whether this is this a fabrication of the truth, I don't know. At the same time, It wouldn't be the first time media ran with bull****. Of course, fans run with whatever narrative suits them - truth is we don't know half of what is going on.

Just wondering how do we know that there is a split and some disharmony? From Rothfield, Kent, Hooper.... just wondering what verified source are we quoting and believing?
hahaha second* rule of being a journo, always protect your source

*it used to be the first rule, but now the first is to make sure you come up with a new talking point every five minutes, and the more controversial the better. Misleading is fine, truth and accuracy welcome but optional

I've been reading where there's a split in the playing group apparently triggered by the departure of Foz. Supposedly the 'senior players' have their knickers pretty bloody knotted. No idea if it's true and all a bit bizarre if it is.
I've also been reading about the failed Blacktown experiment - who knows if it's actually an experiment or we're just stuck with it.
I wonder if the importation of those very good boys from the Western Suburbs has been properly accommodated. It works very well at Penrith because, dah!, they're slap bang in the middle of the place. Pride is a real driver. Teams like Melbourne and the Roosters can accommodate them because they have a strong culture that any player gets swept in to.

I'm just a fan so have no idea what happens in the inner sanctum if there is such a thing.
A number of the players we brought over are very close to Moses Suli. We didn't hear of a rift when he was let go but we do hear of one when Foz is shown the door. And Foz has been shown the door to accommodate a Western Suburbs lad.
I guess the question is, does the club in general and Dessie in particular have the social nous to blend the beaches boys with the kids from the West and the 'senior players' with the talented youth coming through?
I have to say, to my eyes, it doesn't look like it. And if they can't make it work, the club will be a basket case for years to come.

I have no inside knowledge ... but would suggest that in today's environment of clubs having over 30 (by definition) egotistical, testosterone fuelled, millenials aged in their 20's with often inflated opinions of their importance and abilities ... juggling their "feelings" would be a full time job.

Throw in half a dozen different cultures and postcodes and the wisdom of Solomon would be required.

I can see all sorts of reasons why disharmony could encroach ... but Foz leaving isn't one of them.

But ... nobody is ever unhappy when they are winning ..

This ^
I fail to see how you can have a club culture that has everyone on the same page when half the team are on the peninsula and the other half are at Blacktown. No harmony, no common cause, no unity. It shows in their defence because that's where the club culture starts. Defence is everything. It symbolises working for each other and not letting the bastards win. Well we lack it everywhere.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10