Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Rainbow gate certainly did not help but not the main reason Manly missed the finals last season
Just needed somehow this year to get the points against the Roosters recently or a better go with the ref "s calls against the Panthers and to have had kept the pressure and momentum up for the full 80 and for a win not totally out of the question then
But in some ways not that different from last season in general , just got to have your best players available and largely firing on a regular basis for the majority of the season to have the best prospects

The week Broncos trounced us was the week Hasler and playing group were made aware that against their wishes, Foran was being forced out.

I don't think people realise the short leash and conditions Des was forced with. Why does Seibold get more autonomy? Penn is an insecure hypocrite.

But I digress... 2019 we were actually heading for top 4 before Turbo and other key injuries at end of season. A monumental effort considering the backline and youth we had (people forget just how successful that was after the shocking Barrett years). 2021 we all know. But if you look closer at last year, we were starting to play a little grittier, and were learning to play without Turbo, not just win, but actually play - tactically, and more importantly, belief-wise. Just before jerseygate, we were starting to make a decent go of things. I think people assumed 2021 style would continue, but 2022 was about building starch.

With all the advantages Des was not afforded, better luck with injuries, experienced assistants, no disastrous ofd-field distractions out of a coach's control, etc etc Seibold has us finishing worse than last year.

I will repeat that, Seibold has us finishing worse off than last year. And he is all smiles. Has everyone on the northern beaches gone mad?
I hope things go well for Seibold next year.

One area I have been impressed with is the recruitment for next season.

I think he has made some very astute buys.

Brooks might be the best signing of the decade.

Rainbow gate certainly did not help but not the main reason Manly missed the finals last season
Just needed somehow this year to get the points against the Roosters recently or a better go with the ref "s calls against the Panthers and to have had kept the pressure and momentum up for the full 80 and for a win not totally out of the question then
But in some ways not that different from last season in general , just got to have your best players available and largely firing on a regular basis for the majority of the season to have the best prospects
Agreed.

Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... Perspective ....

Like every one that we accept that comes into our lives Coaches must Win us over

Coaches win you over with Manly wins and by Manly making the Finals and Winning Grand finals

In the Beginning of the Season Tony Mestrov expectations

after bringing in his Dynamic duo Coaches in Seibold and past premiership winner Flanagan was for Manly to make the top 8

and compete for the finals . He agreed we could achieve this and meet expectations because we had the competitive playing roster .

Through out the year we have not been consistently competitive enough to secure a top 8 spot

The coaches evaluation at the end of the year after the Manly bar was set will be

Make the top 8 and expectation's are met

Miss the top 8 and expectations are failed

Personally I hope we can win our next 3 games and we can live up to our legendary clubs high standards and Manly makes a remarkable charge into the top 8 and compete for the title

If that happens Seibold would Win the respect of not only every Manly supporter but all NRL people that admire Winners

Seibold has the opportunity to be part of the Great Manly Winning History and Win all Manly People over By Winning Finals and Grand Finals for Manly

Or

He can keep making excuses for losing and keep making his way out the losers exit door and join all the other coaches that fail to Win

Lower our legendary clubs Great WINNING Standards

and We Stand for nothing Great

1691886319649.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Appreciate the optimism but... Woods, Arthur, Talau, Paulo are not high quality signings. Brooks "the best signing of the decade" is also a little much

No, I don't think we were in a great spot before rainbow gate. Where did I post that? You are making sh1t up again. But we were in a much better spot than we are now. In ninth position and right in the finals mix as reported by multiple media outlets.

You claim the facts I have presented are lunacy, which only highlights the perplexing power of denial.

We have all been there at one time or another, trying to show a friend or stranger an obvious error in their thinking only to be rebuffed by some inane rationalization. It’s exasperating. It’s truly an exercise in futility to argue with someone when the facts don’t matter. Denial is like that. Once some people get an idea fixed in their head, they can’t let go of it. They fight reality to the bitter end.

Changing one’s thought process or behavior isn’t easy. Anyone who has tried to break a bad habit or develop a good one knows this all too well. Change only gets harder as the stakes rise. The hardest thing to change is one’s worldview, even in the slightest way. Some people are incapable of doing it.
Reading that felt like a lecture in philosophy! At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. Let's get back to some level headed footy chat, yeah?

The way to Success is by making the right choices .. ...

Brooks the Balmain Junior might be the best signing of the decade

Latu Fainu the Manly junior might be the best signing of the decade
1691897086655.png

Last edited:
Penrith went and got Cleary
Sharks - Fitzgibbon
Cowboys - Payten
Warriors - Webster
Souths - Demetriou
Dogs Ciraldo who will get success there.
What do we do ?
Get a proven spoon coach.

Manly will never be a competitive force in the premiership again (on a year by year basis), until it becomes a professionally run outfit.

With Hasler and to some extent Toovey, you had coaches who could paper over the dysfunctional off-field cracks that appeared. But both of their Manly coaching careers ultimately struck Penn Reef and never recovered. Not sure if Seibold is capable of avoiding a similar fate. Doesn’t look like it.

Maybe Mestrov can sort out the off-field shortcomings. However if recent history is any guide, including the ever present spectre of that tight-fisted shyster Penn hovering in the background, he won’t.

Last edited:
Reading that felt like a lecture in philosophy! At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. Let's get back to some level headed footy chat, yeah?
How is my post incomprehensible and confusing?

Back to some level headed footy chat.

We were well in the mix to play finals footy last season before rainbow gate.

This incident free season under Siebold can be described as below average at best.

How is my post incomprehensible and confusing?

Back to some level headed footy chat.

We were well in the mix to play finals footy last season before rainbow gate.

This incident free season under Siebold can be described as below average at best.
How about we agree that both this season and last season were horrible?

Sadly, the similarities are more apparent than any differences.

Stop me if you've heard this before: we beat up on the bad teams (and Canberra) and got touched up by the good teams (and the Dragons). We gave up a big lead and lost in the dying minutes against the Cowboys, and the very next week conspired to do it again against the Storm, only to be mercifully saved by the bell. Then we flat-track bullied a woeful Newcastle team to make ourselves feel better. After that, we never looked like winning again.

Yes, in round 18 we were somehow in the top eight (in eighth spot), sitting on the 20 points we would finish the season on. Souths and Canberra finished seventh and eighth, both on 30 points. So for us to have played finals footy, we would have needed to have won five from seven, possibly more. And there was no way in hell we were ever going to do that. Instead, we lost seven straight.

We were nowhere near competing with the top teams on a consistent basis in 2022, and we are no closer in 2023. To be honest, I can't see anything changing much in 2024. But if Seibold somehow does manage to turn our mythical "premiership roster" into a competitive force, he may well deserve the extension Penn will probably give him regardless.

How about we agree that both this season and last season were horrible?

Sadly, the similarities are more apparent than any differences.

Stop me if you've heard this before: we beat up on the bad teams (and Canberra) and got touched up by the good teams (and the Dragons). We gave up a big lead and lost in the dying minutes against the Cowboys, and the very next week conspired to do it again against the Storm, only to be mercifully saved by the bell. Then we flat-track bullied a woeful Newcastle team to make ourselves feel better. After that, we never looked like winning again.

Yes, in round 18 we were somehow in the top eight (in eighth spot), sitting on the 20 points we would finish the season on. Souths and Canberra finished seventh and eighth, both on 30 points. So for us to have played finals footy, we would have needed to have won five from seven, possibly more. And there was no way in hell we were ever going to do that. Instead, we lost seven straight.

We were nowhere near competing with the top teams on a consistent basis in 2022, and we are no closer in 2023. To be honest, I can't see anything changing much in 2024. But if Seibold somehow does manage to turn our mythical "premiership roster" into a competitive force, he may well deserve the extension Penn will probably give him regardless.
Great summary, I can't disagree with any of this.

I just hope we get a full season out of Tom next year and that a few of the recruits step up.

Let's see if Seibold 2024 with a lineup of
1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Garrick
4. Koula
5. Tui/Paulo
6. Brookes
7. Dce
8. Paseka
9. Croker/GCKT
10. Jake T
11. Olakau'atu
12. Tuilagi/Bulle/Ben T
13. Schuster
14. GCKT/ Matterson
15. Aloiai/Sipley/Lodge
16. Keppie
17. Bullemore/Ben T

Can do better with limited injuries. If not then bye bye spoon.

That shows how low we have fallen, if we think Brooks is our best in a decade.

You need to stick to the facts.

Prior to Rainbow gate our worst results last year were
28-6 loss to Penrith at home
40-22 loss to the Rabbits at home
38-0 loss to Brisbane at home
28-6 loss to Melbourne at home

This year our worst defeats are
44-12 loss to Penrith at home
32-6 loss to Brisbane at home
34-4 loss to Eels at home
26-10 loss to Titans at Brookvale
Not that it would have made much difference with the result but I would just like to point out that although this years 32-6 loss to the Broncos was supposedly a home game for us, it wasn't because it was Magic Round that was played on the Broncos home turf of Suncorp Stadium.

My 2024 best side would be (fully fit of course)

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Reuben Garrick
CE - Tolu Koula
WG - Jaxson Paulo
FE - Luke Brooks
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Lachlan Croker
PR - Jake Trbojevic
SR - Haumole Olakau'atu
SR - Ben Trbojevic
LK - Josh Schuster

Bench (from) - Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Matt Lodge, Kelma Tuilagi, Toff Sipley, Sean Keppie, Josh Aloiai, Brad Parker, Karl Lawton, Ethan Bullemor, Dean Matterson.

Provided that we can remain relatively healthy, especially key players like Turbo, I think that Seibold coached side can challenge and maybe ... maybe win a premiership.

I like Froggy so I kinda hate to say this ... but we really should be in the market for a quality hooker / dummy half. People who think Gordon is the answer should watch him in defence for Blacktown sometime.....

That shows how low we have fallen, if we think Brooks is our best in a decade.

I think our biggest problem is those in charge do not see how bad we are. They also think we are unlucky to be sitting just outside the 8 considering Tom has been missing for so long.

Maybe if we lose our last 3 games it might highlight where exactly we are at. But i guess they will just put it down to a long season - just like they did last year (plus blaming jersey-gate).

The big advantage The Tigers, The Dragons and The Dogs have over us is they know how bad they are and have been working towards improving their situation. They have actually all hit rock bottom and are protecting teams like Manly from dropping right down the ladder.

I believe Seibold deserves another year or 2 to build his team, but can we afford to wait. What if Tom gets hurt again next year or if are 2 from our first 6.

My personal feeling is we have paid overs for a number of players , I too believe we need a more natural 9, Bronson Garlick from Storm did a great job today.

We cant move up the ladder with a number of our players still on the roster, they simply arent good enough. 8-10 players need moving on and replacing by those trying to break into the top grade at Panthers, Storm and other contenders. We should not buy players from Dogs, Dragons nor Tigers.

Note: These are just some random thoughts I have had while pondering our predicament.

Latu Fainu the Manly junior might be the best signing of the decade
Latu Fainu is actually a Parramatta junior (Guilford Owls). Manly's been paying him a fortune to come over and play in our junior pathway sides.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8