Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In my opinion, that was a coached loss. This is likely going to stir up a few people after just two losses, but there were telltale signs that was Seibold's loss, not the team's.

How can you tell?

When you're getting repeat sets on the goaline of one of the worst defensive teams in the comp, and you're looking completely like the Blues in Origin 2 last year. Looking seemingly for individual efforts to get you tries, with absolutely no shape at all. Brooks, DCE, Turbo, Koula, Garrick, etc etc you should have no problem at all scoring points, if you have some sort of attacking structure.

I don't think I saw a decoy in attack until Haumole's try in the last five minutes, and I can bet on it that it wasn't Seibold that called for that, it was DCE. I'm remembering how Seibold was said to be completely overcomplicating things at the Broncos, and I can guarantee you the same is occuring here. Individual efforts alone seem to be getting us tries, and masking an attacking system that is completely confused.

I think the biggest symptom is Schuster. The fact is, Hasler was fine with him being the 5/8 in 2023. In fact, in 2021, Schuster looked really good as a 5/8 under Hasler, and he looked alright in early 2023 too, before, what it seemed to be, getting the skill coached out of him. I'm talking about his offence here, his defence is a different story.

Now, you could say that was before every other team figured out how to shut him down in offence, and that is true in some regards, but the fact is that Seibold said that he was looking at Brooks in MAY last year. If he was doing that, he was looking before, even earlier in the season. That tells me, he's a coach unwilling to put in the same effort on players like Schuster, and improve them no matter how hard, as opposed to Hasler. Hasler was a micromanager. He was dedicated and committed. Calling people at 3am in the night to talk about some incredible game plan idea he thought about in bed, to win now, no matter the excuse (this story
is true).

Seibold looks like he's always looking towards winning in the future than winning now, as if he's given up on winning now. Think about the injury ravaged stretch in 2022 (before Pride) and 2023. Des somehow found a way to win against Melbourne. We got smashed by a Parramatta side without Mitchell Moses, or anyone really. Why put in effort in as a player, when the coach won't put effort into you, and give up on you for the rest of the year?

Add to that Schuster saying last year that he "doesn't listen to the coaches very much". Is that a symptom of his laziness, or of Seibold's overcomplications, or both? Something tells me it's both.

That first half was like we were taking right off from the end of the Eels game, but without the obstructions or dodgy penalities. That was all us. What were we doing for a week? The exact same problems were there.

If we don't make the finals, it's rebuild time. The fact is, if we don't make the finals, DCE won't consider an extension and will retire next year (or this year potentially). What do we do from there? Seibold is clearly going for results now, cop the consequences later. Haumole until 2031, Paulo for three years (???), Brooks for 4 years (???), and Schuster for 4 years (???). Seemingly just to keep them here for his next two years that he is signed for. If we want any sort of premiership while Tom and Jake are still here, given the lack of replacement options for DCE, we need to win now. I can't see that happening under Seibold.

I feel like we'll be looking back in 10 years, looking at the team lists from the Barrett and Seibold years, seeing DCE, Tom, and Jake on them, and wondering; what the hell went wrong? Scott Penn has to have the worst record of coaching decisions I've ever seen. Sacks Tooves with a winning record of 57%, hires Barrett, sacks Barrett for Des, after getting sacked by the Dogs (accidental masterstroke), fires Des for something that was clearly not his fault, and hires the man that was sacked by Darius Boyd, of all people. And if you don't believe Des was good, he was the only one of these coaches to have a strong winning record, until the pride jersey, which took his winning record in his second stint to 49%. Moan all you want, you don't clean out an entire football club, CEO, Coach, and all, without there being massive problems beyond said coach. Even with 49%, compared to Seibold and Barrett, that's incredible. And under Hasler, that was with an objectively tight salary cap.

Why do you think Seibold has done such "incredible" recruitment that we haven't seen in years? DCE's salary has dropped significantly, and the cap has increased. Des would've been recruiting too.

I was holding off on Seibold this year, on paper he made great changes and I was optimistic, but boom, straight back to our worst last year. To me, unless something dramatic changes, this performance is indicative, 100%, of how we will go this year. And I'm normally an optimist on Manly, but I'm sick of this club sticking by awful decisions, again and again.

A lot of those errors today had nothing to do with dynamic attack tho… blokes were dropping the ball cold under no pressure and throwing forward passes all over the place (at least 2 that were not called)
It’s not that the mistakes are happening during those shifts, it’s the mindset of how the team approach the game. It’s a lack of intensity because the core focus is to ‘play’ a bit of footy, when it should be ‘take the oppositions head off’.

You can’t turn intensity on and off like a switch. You watch today’s game and compare the energy levels and intensity, particularly in defence, to how it was against the Chooks. They came to throw the ball around today, not dig their heels in.

So yes, I agree it’s not mistakes from shifts, but that wasn’t really my point. It’s the macro level attitude to the game that I have a concern with. Drop balls happen from a lack of intensity and concentration. We lack intensity because it’s not a core focus of our football…scoring flashy tries on the edge is.

I think Siebold needs to have game specific attack and defence plans each week with the buy in from his players
Todays performance the left did not know what the right was doing and spending after set on the opposition goal line without scoring is either brilliant defence by the opposition or a complete lack of creativity by us
Given we have had plenty of chances inside the 20m this year without scoring, i would say the issue is with us

Before the game I looked at the tape on AOA knee. The amount of tape had grown today. No surprise he was off the field early.

Today was Nella's and Jakes time to shine. And neither did.

It’s not that the mistakes are happening during those shifts, it’s the mindset of how the team approach the game. It’s a lack of intensity because the core focus is to ‘play’ a bit of footy, when it should be ‘take the oppositions head off’.

You can’t turn intensity on and off like a switch. You watch today’s game and compare the energy levels and intensity, particularly in defence, to how it was against the Chooks. They came to throw the ball around today, not dig their heels in.

So yes, I agree it’s not mistakes from shifts, but that wasn’t really my point. It’s the macro level attitude to the game that I have a concern with. Drop balls happen from a lack of intensity and concentration. We lack intensity because it’s not a core focus of our football…scoring flashy tries on the edge is.
Agree that the defensive mindset seemed lacking today and I think the players thought they would steamroll their opponents

In my opinion, that was a coached loss. This is likely going to stir up a few people after just two losses, but there were telltale signs that was Seibold's loss, not the team's.

How can you tell?

When you're getting repeat sets on the goaline of one of the worst defensive teams in the comp, and you're looking completely like the Blues in Origin 2 last year. Looking seemingly for individual efforts to get you tries, with absolutely no shape at all. Brooks, DCE, Turbo, Koula, Garrick, etc etc you should have no problem at all scoring points, if you have some sort of attacking structure.

I don't think I saw a decoy in attack until Haumole's try in the last five minutes, and I can bet on it that it wasn't Seibold that called for that, it was DCE. I'm remembering how Seibold was said to be completely overcomplicating things at the Broncos, and I can guarantee you the same is occuring here. Individual efforts alone seem to be getting us tries, and masking an attacking system that is completely confused.

I think the biggest symptom is Schuster. The fact is, Hasler was fine with him being the 5/8 in 2023. In fact, in 2021, Schuster looked really good as a 5/8 under Hasler, and he looked alright in early 2023 too, before, what it seemed to be, getting the skill coached out of him. I'm talking about his offence here, his defence is a different story.

Now, you could say that was before every other team figured out how to shut him down in offence, and that is true in some regards, but the fact is that Seibold said that he was looking at Brooks in MAY last year. If he was doing that, he was looking before, even earlier in the season. That tells me, he's a coach unwilling to put in the same effort on players like Schuster, and improve them no matter how hard, as opposed to Hasler. Hasler was a micromanager. He was dedicated and committed. Calling people at 3am in the night to talk about some incredible game plan idea he thought about in bed, to win now, no matter the excuse (this story
is true).

Seibold looks like he's always looking towards winning in the future than winning now, as if he's given up on winning now. Think about the injury ravaged stretch in 2022 (before Pride) and 2023. Des somehow found a way to win against Melbourne. We got smashed by a Parramatta side without Mitchell Moses, or anyone really. Why put in effort in as a player, when the coach won't put effort into you, and give up on you for the rest of the year?

Add to that Schuster saying last year that he "doesn't listen to the coaches very much". Is that a symptom of his laziness, or of Seibold's overcomplications, or both? Something tells me it's both.

That first half was like we were taking right off from the end of the Eels game, but without the obstructions or dodgy penalities. That was all us. What were we doing for a week? The exact same problems were there.

If we don't make the finals, it's rebuild time. The fact is, if we don't make the finals, DCE won't consider an extension and will retire next year (or this year potentially). What do we do from there? Seibold is clearly going for results now, cop the consequences later. Haumole until 2031, Paulo for three years (???), Brooks for 4 years (???), and Schuster for 4 years (???). Seemingly just to keep them here for his next two years that he is signed for. If we want any sort of premiership while Tom and Jake are still here, given the lack of replacement options for DCE, we need to win now. I can't see that happening under Seibold.

I feel like we'll be looking back in 10 years, looking at the team lists from the Barrett and Seibold years, seeing DCE, Tom, and Jake on them, and wondering; what the hell went wrong? Scott Penn has to have the worst record of coaching decisions I've ever seen. Sacks Tooves with a winning record of 57%, hires Barrett, sacks Barrett for Des, after getting sacked by the Dogs (accidental masterstroke), fires Des for something that was clearly not his fault, and hires the man that was sacked by Darius Boyd, of all people. And if you don't believe Des was good, he was the only one of these coaches to have a strong winning record, until the pride jersey, which took his winning record in his second stint to 49%. Moan all you want, you don't clean out an entire football club, CEO, Coach, and all, without there being massive problems beyond said coach. Even with 49%, compared to Seibold and Barrett, that's incredible. And under Hasler, that was with an objectively tight salary cap.

Why do you think Seibold has done such "incredible" recruitment that we haven't seen in years? DCE's salary has dropped significantly, and the cap has increased. Des would've been recruiting too.

I was holding off on Seibold this year, on paper he made great changes and I was optimistic, but boom, straight back to our worst last year. To me, unless something dramatic changes, this performance is indicative, 100%, of how we will go this year. And I'm normally an optimist on Manly, but I'm sick of this club sticking by awful decisions, again and again.
100% correct.
Seibold should be starting to get worried if he’s not already and should start picking a side that can win rather picking player just to keep people and other players happy.

Crazy thought Bob, now to think maybe 15% would think that.
We’ll be better side with Lodge, Saab and Humphries in the side.

I dont like 2 of those 3 but yes we will be a better side.

Lodge replaces Waddell, Sipley, Aloia and Trevor (Ben).

Humphrys time must be near - Lawton needs to go.

Saab - well it doesnt matter wingers are nothing if the teams is rubbish, just ask JAC.

Geez the way we played today Aaron Woods will be in the 17, god help us.

Seibold was honest in what he said after the game.

The concern for me is in all four games so far, this team has a nasty habit of coughing up the ball and conceding in the next set. This is a resilience problem and it needs to change pronto!
It hasn’t changed in the last 5-10 years,why would it start now?Weak leadership is the reason

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8