Cold Hard Coaching Stats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe so! I may be clutching at straws, but what else can I do?
I don't want to join the general chorus bleating like frightened confused sheep and calling for the summary execution of all the failed players coaches and officials, because that's neither mature nor sensible.
You sure you support Manly cause absolutely no Manly fan I know accepts these performances. Hey if you want clap and say great effort guys for coming 13th,14th or last then I respect your right to an opinion. But the Manly I have supported for 30yrs is a GREAT team, and with greatness comes great expectations. Personally I feel if coaches or players aren't up to the task of upholding this great teams reputation then it's time to go. But hey that's just me.

Manly is one of the great clubs in this great country of ours. This is why the " sheep" are furious and rightly so. Let the fires burn until the rot is gone.

Yeah I do support Manly!
And I was as disappointed as anyone to lose in those circumstances.
And yes its not good enough, but what to change, that is the question. I haven't even read all the threads and comments here but I don't have to, to know that some are calling for players heads, some are calling for coaches heads, some want all heads.
In a rebuilding phase the leaders have to keep their heads under pressure!

Bellamy was coaching against his own class players in Origin along with not being the short term type of coach---he is not a motivator he builds teams with structure and discipline along with enforcing the "pride in ones performance" line, motivation should come from within----i wouldn't say he was an "abject failure".

Do you think any other coach would have developed players like Cam Smith, Cronk and Slater and best utilize what they had to offer or see what others couldn't see and develop that side further.(they were seen as too small and in Cronks case too limited to play halfback)

Orford became more consistent and direct in his performances under Bellamy.

Storm were on the slide starting from 2000 into 01,02. Since 2003 they have finished no worse than 6th, that level of consistency in this period has not been matched other than with the Qld Origin team---and people wonder why Qld have been so dominant in pretty much the same period.(add a better attitude towards Origin instilled in Qlders and you have an almost unbeatable team)

Before this period Origin was pretty much a 50/50 win ratio with small patches 2-3yrs of dominance for the most part.

Even Hasler had to pay "huge" overs for Orford and Bell from the Storm to take Manly to the next level.
2 wins from 9 SOO games is abject failure. @:cool:

The fact is that Bellamy was also as ineffective as Robbo is now without Minni and SBW, when he lacked players out on the field that the rest of the team were guided by.:wondering:

That was my point, not that he can't coach, but that his coaching is augmented by onfield help.

Manly had the same core group for a good 8 years. So the new guys were eased into the team structure by having strong personalities out on the field with them, when the game was in the balance.

We don't have anyone out there, talking behind the line. No one is focusing the young ones on the game that is still to be played. Once Manly get behind, the panic just sets in and basic handling errors mount :cool:

Des coached at high school level at St Pius Chatswood. I think they had some success. That team also contained NBQ.

Yeah I do support Manly!
And I was as disappointed as anyone to lose in those circumstances.
And yes its not good enough, but what to change, that is the question. I haven't even read all the threads and comments here but I don't have to, to know that some are calling for players heads, some are calling for coaches heads, some want all heads.
In a rebuilding phase the leaders have to keep their heads under pressure!

Exactly....and please lets not rewrite history. I don't have a lot of time for Penn but the reason Geoff Toovey is not here now is because of Brett Stewart, Choc and Foran via their fat conduit.

Two of those sold their souls to the Eels and made a mockery of the club that gave them everything with there bull**** negotiating of contracts and the other plays like he doesn't care yet is a protected species

Barrett is a rookie coach and needs to be judged as such.He has an extremely ordinary forward pack, a senior player in the most important position earning a fortune who is a liablilty and a mountain of injuries.

I personally doubt he will be a good coach and we took a risk which probably wont work out but the vitriol here is over the top.He is trying hard and if it aint good enough then he will bite the dust like a thousand coaches before him.This happens in our game all the time.You can count great coaches on one hand.

All this stuff he isn't Manly doesn't cut it with me.It is irrelevant in modern highly professional Rugby League.Toovey hasn't got a job because three blokes who were AS MANLY AS THERE EVER HAS BEEN chased him out the door and totally disrespected him.His job was untenable because petulant senior players would hardly speak with him yet had no problem cavorting and holidaying with Eddie Hayson, and we all know how that has worked out. That is the cold hard truth.So management could sack the gang or sack the coach?Great choice to have.They could not possibly win.I would loved to have seen this forum if they had kicked Snake and Co out the door as they should have at that stage of their careers. It would have gone into meltdown...geez I get crucified NOW when I call for him to be dropped ....and like most most hard decisions the unpopular ones are generally the right ones.

So who is out there as a Manly man to coach us?One person.Ivan Cleary, who lost,yes lost, more games than he won in his career at the Warriors and Panthers.He had a great list at the Warriors as they usually do and recruited a cast of thousands at the Panthers under the tutledge of another master coach,Phil Gould and had a Reserve grade and U21 that were incredibly successful with a raft of talent to pick from. He was then unceremoniously sacked and replaced by a coach who couldn't get Brisbane out of first gear.

Yet he is a super coach.No he aint.Finding a coach that works is the toughest thing in League so a young bloke failing aint a crime and is the most common outcome.This is no time for panic.Assess at the end of year both the roster and the staff and get on with it.Life goes on.

Last edited:
2 wins from 9 SOO games is abject failure. @:cool:

The fact is that Bellamy was also as ineffective as Robbo is now without Minni and SBW, when he lacked players out on the field that the rest of the team were guided by.:wondering:

That was my point, not that he can't coach, but that his coaching is augmented by onfield help.

Manly had the same core group for a good 8 years. So the new guys were eased into the team structure by having strong personalities out on the field with them, when the game was in the balance.

We don't have anyone out there, talking behind the line. No one is focusing the young ones on the game that is still to be played. Once Manly get behind, the panic just sets in and basic handling errors mount :cool:
No doubt the team/senior players mold the new players but the way you worded your views is that raving on about Bellamy's input/abilities is over-rated.

The only real senior player leaders we have is Jamie Lyon who offers a calm composed class with a good country boy attitude combined with Matai who offers the spark, power and aggression.

Exactly....and please lets not rewrite history. I don't have a lot of time for Penn but the reason Geoff Toovey is not here now is because of Brett Stewart, Choc and Foran via their fat conduit.

Two of those sold there souls to the Eels and led made a mockery of the club that gave them everything with there bull**** negotiating of contracts and the other plays like he doesn't care yet is a protected species

Barrett is a rookie coach and needs to be judged as such.He has an extremely ordinary forward pack, a senior player in the most important position earning a fortune who is a liablilty and a mountain of injuries.

I personally doubt he will be a good coach and we took a risk which probably wont work out but the vitriol here is over the top.He is trying hard and if it aint good enough then he will bite the dust like a thousand coaches before him.This happens in our game all the time.You can count great coaches on one hand.

All this stuff he isn't Manly doesn't cut it with me.It is irrelevant.Toovey hasn't got a job because three blokes who were AS MANLY AS THERE EVER HAS BEEN chased him out the door and totally disrespected him.His job was untenable because petulant senior players would hardly speak with him yet had no problem cavorting with Eddie Hayson.Thats the cold hard truth.So management could sack the gang or sack the coach?Great choice to have.They could not possibly win.I would loved to have seen this forum if they had kicked Snake and Co out the door as they should have at that stage of their careers. It would have gone into meltdown...geez I get crucified NOW when I call for him to be dropped ....and like most most hard decisions the unpopular ones are generally the right ones.

So who is out there as a Manly man to coach us?One person.Ivan Cleary, who lost,yes lost, more games than he won at both the Warriors and Panthers.He had a great list at the Warriors as they usually do and recruited a cast of thousands at the Panthers under the tutledge of another master coach,Phil Gould and had a Reserve grade and U21 that were incredibly successful with a raft of talent to pick from.

Yet he is a super coach.No he aint.Finding a coach that works is the toughest thing in League so a young bloke failing aint a crime and is the most common outcome.
This makes my blood boil like nothing else. I so wish they made the alternate decision as you laid out, but you are also right in terms of the response that most likely would have generated amongst unknowing fans.

Speaking of the Pens (the Pittsburgh ones) 2 months into the season they were ordinary, they sacked the coach, changed a few combinations......
...... they won the comp today

Cool story bro
Great comeback

Are you denying Hasler's record now too? He was easily one of Manly's key players through the late 80's and well into the 90's. As a coach, look at his record now with that other great club being the Bulldogs. Finals every year for 4, including 2 GF's. If he is an 'L' what is Barrett? a toddler? Cartwright is an insult to coaches everywhere and Seibold has quite literally nothing. I would have a lone Hasler against the entire Manly coaching staff including hipster Ferris, and the completely lost Williamson. Any club that keep a zorba peters on its payroll, is a club with major issues. Des wanted him gone a long time back. That is the difference between the professional Hasler, and a complete scum ridden degenerate in zorba peters.

Last edited:
Great comeback

Are you denying Hasler's record now too? He was easily one of Manly's key players through the late 80's and well into the 90's. As a coach, look at his record now with that other great club being the Bulldogs. Finals every year for 4, including 2 GF's. If he is an 'L' what is Barrett? a toddler? Cartwright is an insult to coaches everywhere and Seibold has quite literally nothing. I would have a lone Hasler against the entire Manly coaching staff including hipster Ferris, and the completely lost Williamson. Any club that keep a zorba peters on its payroll, is a club with major issues. Des wanted him gone a long time back. That is the difference between the professional Hasler, and a complete scum ridden degenerate in zorba peters.

yeah yeah ... but tell us how you really feel

Just making the point that Barrett's success shouldn't be judged by his first half-season as coach. Because Des' figures were exactly the same.
I agree to a point but there is a slight difference between their circumstances. Des came in when we hadnt made the finals since the ****ing NINETIES lol, so it was ok for him to start slow. Barret has come in when we have been a finals regular for years except for last year.

Now since we didnt make the finals last year the club went on a recruitment drive to get us right back to where we belong. That is what is getting people mad, TB has a team that should be no where near the bottom. I'll give him that he has been unlucky with injury but tbh I cant see any real improvement or anything that makes me think something good is around the corner.

He may become just as good as Des, but from what I have seen with what he has to work with, I wouldnt count on it.

About thirty years ago, I was a passenger in a twin engined Cessna (410 I think), and the pilot was attempting to land in atrocious wind at Newcastle airport. He actually turned to us passengers and said "I'll try to get us on the ground"
Another passenger said "dont try - DO IT!"
fwiw, we got there!

I think Scott Penn is not impressed with the team's performance at all and Barrett will be gone if he doesn't start turning this around. If we finish last or even bottom 3 I wouldn't be surprised if Barrett is gone in the off season.

Twenty Bwarret will no doubt be slapped a few times by Bozo as the season of fail drags on, however, much like Bozos SOO NSW team, Twenty will stay coaching regardless of results.

There is always someone to blame. Just ask ZTH.

I think Scott Penn is not impressed with the team's performance at all and Barrett will be gone if he doesn't start turning this around. If we finish last or even bottom 3 I wouldn't be surprised if Barrett is gone in the off season.

If we get Des back then bring it on

You sure you support Manly cause absolutely no Manly fan I know accepts these performances. Hey if you want clap and say great effort guys for coming 13th,14th or last then I respect your right to an opinion. But the Manly I have supported for 30yrs is a GREAT team, and with greatness comes great expectations. Personally I feel if coaches or players aren't up to the task of upholding this great teams reputation then it's time to go. But hey that's just me.

Manly is one of the great clubs in this great country of ours. This is why the " sheep" are furious and rightly so. Let the fires burn until the rot is gone.
I agree. I just want the same rules to be applied to players and coaches alike as were in place last year. That includes recruitment officers, famous as they may be. This bloke was given a good playing squad. They bought Jack sh* t for the last coach.

So the NYC win over the knights the club website credits NYC coach Chad Randle. WTF. Does he just rock up and say I'll do NSW Cup this week. Nah NYC that week. I didn't think our club could get more crazy. But WTF?

So the NYC win over the knights the club website credits NYC coach Chad Randle. WTF. Does he just rock up and say I'll do NSW Cup this week. Nah NYC that week. I didn't think our club could get more crazy. But WTF?
Maybe they didn't want to shell out for an assistant coach for willo and got Chad to do a double shift. Willo won't have a job next year dunno what will be available for Chad the following year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4