Combinations and 2nd phase play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Been watching this pretty closely this season, and there is definitely some great improvement in the lateral structure of our set plays.
DCE and Green are really starting to gel with the fringe runners to expose overlaps and inside holes. You watch Tom sniffing around back on the inside on both sides of the field. He is a remarkably gifted footballer even at this early stage of his career. But the big improver for me is Jake T. Yes he was very workmanlike last year, and his defence was always solid and brutal. But he is coming in to his own as a ball playing lock with the ability to play inside and out, especially to Tom, Kelly and of course Dylan, who is ripping it up as a hole runner right now.
Once he can refine this art, he will go to the top of the tree in rep sides, and be automatic first pick back rower. Reminds me of Ian Martin, Knocker Norton, Nik Kosef and of course Glenn Stewie.
We are lucky these boys came through when they did, like winning LOTTO.
Once we get more structured involvement from Winterstein and Sironen, it will only get better. Right now these two have lapses at critical times in D & A, so I expect the coaching team will be working hard to maintain the consistency. I believe we need a dynamic rep back rower to complete our squad. A Frizzell or Cordner type 80 minute player.
Great start to the season, the boys have really shown some solid improvement all over the park. Not the real deal yet, it takes time for top notch combinations to form ala 1994-97 and 2005-2013.
Re Api, he is still young and despite the Api is **** v Api is great debates, he is improving all the time and will prove many of the knockers wrong. My only knock on him is he gets rattled when we are being dominated at the ruck. There is a lack of patience and calmness about his play making it look rushed and erratic. The coaches can work to overcome this, however Jackson is a boom talent that can be substituted at any time if Api misfires.
I think Jackson will partner DCE long term, and we may see Blake go to utility, but maybe in a year or two.
The coaching staff have really developed this lot nicely, much improvement to come...then it may get very exciting.

Been watching this pretty closely this season, and there is definitely some great improvement in the lateral structure of our set plays.
DCE and Green are really starting to gel with the fringe runners to expose overlaps and inside holes. You watch Tom sniffing around back on the inside on both sides of the field. He is a remarkably gifted footballer even at this early stage of his career. But the big improver for me is Jake T. Yes he was very workmanlike last year, and his defence was always solid and brutal. But he is coming in to his own as a ball playing lock with the ability to play inside and out, especially to Tom, Kelly and of course Dylan, who is ripping it up as a hole runner right now.
Once he can refine this art, he will go to the top of the tree in rep sides, and be automatic first pick back rower. Reminds me of Ian Martin, Knocker Norton, Nik Kosef and of course Glenn Stewie.
We are lucky these boys came through when they did, like winning LOTTO.
Once we get more structured involvement from Winterstein and Sironen, it will only get better. Right now these two have lapses at critical times in D & A, so I expect the coaching team will be working hard to maintain the consistency. I believe we need a dynamic rep back rower to complete our squad. A Frizzell or Cordner type 80 minute player.
Great start to the season, the boys have really shown some solid improvement all over the park. Not the real deal yet, it takes time for top notch combinations to form ala 1994-97 and 2005-2013.
Re Api, he is still young and despite the Api is **** v Api is great debates, he is improving all the time and will prove many of the knockers wrong. My only knock on him is he gets rattled when we are being dominated at the ruck. There is a lack of patience and calmness about his play making it look rushed and erratic. The coaches can work to overcome this, however Jackson is a boom talent that can be substituted at any time if Api misfires.
I think Jackson will partner DCE long term, and we may see Blake go to utility, but maybe in a year or two.
The coaching staff have really developed this lot nicely, much improvement to come...then it may get very exciting.
I noticed it alot in the game, Green was doing alot of talking and barking instructions, he (and the team in general ) looks a lot better for it.

It's starting to show some promise no doubt.
Halves are always in the limelight but I think the most important player in our side at the moment is Kapow. His menace and second phase offload play gets everything going. Hes developed beyoind sight this year in his calmness and play reading. Will be an absoloute superstar if he can continue at this rate.

All the good work DCE and Blake are doing is coming from Kapow and his posse.

Lets not forget we are doing this with around 1mil of cap space missing from our squad. Very exciting indeed.

I agree with you that Manly at present would benefit from a quality backrower like cordner etc. I reckon Manly should make a play for Coen Hess next year... ☺

i think we could move b.j. to the back row, play him on an edge and i think he could play the full 80 when required and his pace would be a bonus. then chase another big unit for the front row - like james graham for added mongrel

i think we could move b.j. to the back row, play him on an edge and i think he could play the full 80 when required and his pace would be a bonus. then chase another big unit for the front row - like james graham for added mongrel
I kinda like what BJ is bringing to the table now, he is only getting older so 80 min is asking a bit of the big fella.

Seems to be far more energy with players off the ball running at holes...this helps the playmakers create numbers and ensure defence must commit....and even the best defence will make poor reads and get it wrong when attack presses in numbers at pace...
This is an effort play and as much as we can despise Slater...the 2-3 breaks he makes in a game is on the back of 30+ support runs...this is an area Manly have really improved in 2017.
The other key improvement is off the back of offloads .... in main Kapow plus, attack seems to be playing far more direct.
I think when Walker was 5/8 there was far more sideways attack, almost trying to beat defence on the outside, the best teams play through the opposition and far straighter which is exactly what Manly are doing ATM.
Even DCE was crabbing more and if the halves first steps are lateral, the attack will generally go sideways.
The key here is Manly winning the contact and play ball far more in 2017 allowing the halves to be going AT the defence who are on the back foot.
When the ruck is lost, the rushing defence will generally push the attack sideways in a domino effect....while the big boys own the middle , the halves will only improve with sharp, direct footy and the attack will naturally Push up with them as a result.

Seems to be far more energy with players off the ball running at holes...this helps the playmakers create numbers and ensure defence must commit....and even the best defence will make poor reads and get it wrong when attack presses in numbers at pace...
This is an effort play and as much as we can despise Slater...the 2-3 breaks he makes in a game is on the back of 30+ support runs...this is an area Manly have really improved in 2017.
The other key improvement is off the back of offloads .... in main Kapow plus, attack seems to be playing far more direct.
I think when Walker was 5/8 there was far more sideways attack, almost trying to beat defence on the outside, the best teams play through the opposition and far straighter which is exactly what Manly are doing ATM.
Even DCE was crabbing more and if the halves first steps are lateral, the attack will generally go sideways.
The key here is Manly winning the contact and play ball far more in 2017 allowing the halves to be going AT the defence who are on the back foot.
When the ruck is lost, the rushing defence will generally push the attack sideways in a domino effect....while the big boys own the middle , the halves will only improve with sharp, direct footy and the attack will naturally Push up with them as a result.
Footy 1.0 dominate the ruck, (minimise errors) restrict metres out of the opponents red zone, win the game. Yes they are definitely playing squarer and more direct...spot on Maxta. Easy game really

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8