Concerts, Gigs, Bands, Music Festivals, Music Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matabele link said:
[quote author=Volley link=topic=182683.msg255274#msg255274 date=1268886651]
You probably just want her to flop her cock out again.
LOL, people running with that line are very stupid.  Where is she hiding it under all her skin tight and see through gear?
[/quote]

You've obviously never been to a show in Thailand.....

Matabele link said:
I'd love to see the Lady Gaga gig.  We havent seen a sheer entertainer/performer of her ilk for a long time. 

Did you also rate Marilyn Manson ??

Purple Sneakers at Gladstone Hotel.. Alternative/indie/rock.. Great place and music.

Oh, and drinks come in gumboots/jugs. Sweeeeeet..

BTW, from feb this year..

---

Sydney (Eastern Creek) Soundwave 2010 (Music Festival, Sun Feb21) was great.

Had quite a few drinks (Beer & Wild Turkey) in the car en route and a bit in there, but also hit the water pretty hard thankfully.

Jane's Addiction & Faith No More were obvious highlights:

Prior to Jane's Addiction the sun finally dipped below the horizon and man that was so welcome - pretty hot day!
Perry Farrell actually looked pretty good, and put in a good effort.
They didn't sing "Classic Girl" unfortunately, but it was still great to finally see them live including "Mountain Song" which was fantastic.
The crowd was huge, and great - no crushing and great vibe.

Faith No More put on a great show.
The crowd was absolutely massive, filling so much of the area in front of the main stages it was quite amazing. There was massive compression in the middle - I was about 6 rows from the stage just off centre and man it was pretty crushing sometimes.
Their sound was good, and was great to finally see them live too.

The Anthrax moshpit was a huge highlight on Stage #4, when they rocked into "Got The Time" the pit really started firing with some great circlework - it was pretty hot, and a fair bit of dust was getting tossed up & around, but we're a bunch of tough Aussies and can handle that. Pretty good vide in the moshpit too - lotta topless guys and very sweaty bodies, and most were stoked and havin' a great time, cheering each other on and helping you up real quick if you fell.
Anthrax were really intense and put on a good show, thier sound was good & loud.

Meshuggah went hard as were expected, and the pit for them was also good fun.
Love thier constant driving metal, stoked to see thier entire set.

Clutch were great too - very glad to see them live.

Only saw bits of Anvil & Isis and wish I could spend more time close up for them to get better feels for thier performances.
Isis did sound pretty good from what I hear though.

Most of the staff (security, police, etc) were pretty good, and did a good job under the circumstances I thought.
Gate entry was really good - they weren't as thorough as I'd thought, pretty quick and easy.
It was pretty easy to find free fresh water thankfully, with staff at most stages offering hoses and to fill up empty water bottles in between sets etc. which was great.

Didn't see any trouble at all, myself, overall a pretty good vibe.

We parked & walked to/from a fair way away, which actually was a good choice.

Stoked.

I saw Meshuggah and Isis at their side shows at the Manning Bar, didn't go to Soundwave.

Second time seeing both bands and they killed it.

Meshuggah is such an instense band to see live, all you do is stand there and by the end of it you're buggered, so much going on and to listen to. I had decided not to buy any merch that night and two songs in I felt compelled to hand over more of my cash for a couple of shirts.

Isis were birlliant, never been to such a loud show and walked away without the riniging in the ears, everything clear and crisp from start to finish, they have some real hypnotising songs. Baroness were a great opener also. I had two mates pull out of going to this show because of work commitments early the next morning, have been giving them **** ever since.

This article was on the News website today.

Funny stuff.

I was fooled by a ladyboy.

Several in fact.

I admit it - and completely without the slightest hint of embarrassment - only amazement.

Before travelling to Phuket, I had heard many stories from my friends who had partied hard in the Patong strip - Bangla Street.

"I can guarantee one of 'em will fool ya, and ya won't even know it,'' my mate warned me before I jetted off.

"There's at least one in every bar.''

I now have only myself to blame, as upon retrospect the warning signs were all there.

Big feet, broad shoulders, and thick veins are normally your best bets.

But the eyes normally overlook these subtle hints, instead diverting them to attractive facial features, perfect make-up, thin legs and surgery enhanced breasts. But before I get into the nitty gritty details, allow me to rewind.

The beginning of the adventure started about seven hours earlier during a poolside Happy Hour at the Mercure Phuket Patong.

Nearly every Thailand bar and hotel has a daily two-for-one Happy Hour, which, unlike its name suggests, lasts for several hours.

I took advantage of this deal everywhere I stayed at, including the Mercure Phuket Patong, the All Seasons Nai Harn Beach Resort and the Ibis Phuket Kata.

All are fantastic hotels for tourists looking for a nice place to stay near a beach without breaking the piggy bank.

For example, a couple staying at the All Seasons Nai Harn Beach Resort can get ocean views, a comfortable room, and breakfast for as little as $50 per night.

The All Seasons Nai Harn Beach Resort also has the added comfort of being located well outside the hustle and bustle of Patong, but still within a $10 cab ride.

Mercure Phuket on the other hand is walking distance to Patong's main strip and while prices start at about $80 per night, its cost still beats any comparable Australian hotel hands down.

And if you're worried about travelling to Thailand because of the Bangkok-based protests - you're seriously missing out. (Red-shirted supporters of ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra have been protesting in Bangkok, demanding the military-backed government hold another election.)

The protest-free Phuket is nearly a 10-hour drive away from Bangkok and the beachside locals are some of the most beautifully natured people I have ever met.

Challenge the barmaid
Happy Hour deals aside, in general, a beer in Thailand generally costs about $2.50 in a bar, and less than $1 from a grocery store.

In some bars you can also challenge the barmaid to a boardgame with the loser to buy the other a drink - something that ended up costing me a lot of money.
Decent sized meals from reputable eateries on the other hand cost between $5 and $10.

The street vendor food is not for the faint-hearted, as my fellow traveller found out, who was eagerly chomping down on a chicken shish kebab in drunken bliss one night until I pointed out that it was actually six pope's noses (chicken bums) all lined up in a row.

Anyway, back to how I was fooled.

When I say fooled, I don't mean that led to physical contact - more like money loss.
I was just an observer, or a quiet admirer, if you will.

As we tipped a group of eight dancers several hundred baht to keep dancing for our table, we took bets on who were the girls and who were the boys. Like me, all at the table were fooled thinking the majority were, well, girls.

So we asked a kind bar attendant to settle the score.

"All ladyboy! Ladyboy all!'' she half replied, half exclaimed.

As the saying goes: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Feeling rather foolish, my chicken-bum eating travel companion and I decided to venture into a seedy expat's bar for some advice on how to tiptoe through the ladyboy minefield.

How to spot a ladyboy
At the bar we met a man who referred to himself only as Strider; he was your typical 50-something divorced Australian male who travels to Thailand with enough money to find a younger girlfriend.

Unfortunately for Strider, his Thai girlfriend of six years had recently left him for a richer Swiss man.

Fortunately for us, however, he was more than happy to offer some good tips on how to spot the ladyboy.

"Firstly,'' he said, "the majority of them can't dance to save their life, because they still have the male gene.

"Secondly, and probably most importantly, they will always, always, fidget with their hair because they are not used to it and are very self-conscious about it.''

Strider said bigger feet and broad shoulders were the next best giveaways, but warned to avoid relying on spotting Adam's Apples, as many had undergone surgery to have the bone shaved back.

"There are ladyboys virtually in every bar here because, put simply, females make more money than men,'' he explained.

"The only options for some men are to become drivers or work in the fields, whereas ladyboys can make a lot more money and have a lot more fun.''

Taking heed of his advice, we had the time of our lives for the next five-nights straight, and avoided coming unstuck again.

After drinking $1.50 Happy Hour beers all week past 2am, I couldn't wait to have a full night's rest in my V Australia business class sleeper's lounge on the flight home.

Before nodding off, however, I decided to have a brief peek at the daily newspaper of the untameable little beast of a city I was departing.

Blasted across the front page of the Phuket Gazette was the headline: "Ladyboy fraudster purchases hard time.''

Well at least I'm not the only fool, I reassured myself.

YES.

GA Standing (Floor) Tkts for me & 3 mates to Sydney Sat 13th Nov.
(Through ticketek online this morning – Lucky to get them, I tell ya).

Will be 4th time for me, to see the best band in all history..

1) 1989 @ The Hordern Pavilion, Sydney – Justice Tour I think? Absolutely kicked ass, full roam, dark, loud, awesome.

2) Several years later @ Syd Ent. Centre, seats somewhere way back, Kyuss supported them. Syd. Ent. Cent. sucks, thankfully Metallica's sound made up for it, but seats at such a gig without full roam was dodgy.

3) Several years later @ Newcastle Ent. Centre, full roam, was awesome.

4) Acer Arena Sydney 13th Nov 2010, Magnetic Tour, GA Standing (Floor), will go off. Probably the last time I'll ever see them, my fav. band of all time. Gonna go hard in the mosh pit(s).

STOKED.

ssar link said:
YES.

GA Standing (Floor) Tkts for me & 3 mates to Sydney Sat 13th Nov.
(Through ticketek online this morning – Lucky to get them, I tell ya).

Will be 4th time for me, to see the best band in all history..

1) 1989 @ The Hordern Pavilion, Sydney – Justice Tour I think? Absolutely kicked ass, full roam, dark, loud, awesome.

2) Several years later @ Syd Ent. Centre, seats somewhere way back, Kyuss supported them. Syd. Ent. Cent. sucks, thankfully Metallica's sound made up for it, but seats at such a gig without full roam was dodgy.

3) Several years later @ Newcastle Ent. Centre, full roam, was awesome.

4) Acer Arena Sydney 13th Nov 2010, Magnetic Tour, GA Standing (Floor), will go off. Probably the last time I'll ever see them, my fav. band of all time. Gonna go hard in the mosh pit(s).

STOKED.

Saw your post over on WP....

Seems like there many disgruntled fans that missed out and are filthy at Ticketek.

I managed to get tickets which is a big relief.  I tried via the Visa presale but gave up after 30 min.  Was thinking I should have joined the MetClub but then lo and behold I checked a couple of hours later and found an extra date had just gone on sale (which obviously not many knew about).  Without the big rush things were so much easier.

I got gold seats close to the stage for Thu, 11th Nov.  I'd prefer standing but my other half (who is a Metallica tragic) is a short arse and would have no chance of seeing the band from the floor.

This'll be my 3rd time seeing them.  Can't wait.

(I'll have to visit this thread more often - been to a few gigs this year including Soundwave and a Jane's Addiction side show.)

Good work on catching Metallica.

Did anyone see the Qld crowd on the Footie Show when Acca/Dacca played the whole night? Those slow Cane Toads looked like they were all on Valium. I think they would have preferred Kamahl or Cliff Richards. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.
- Wendy Dio"

facebook.com/OfficialRonnieJamesDio
rockitoutblog.com
facebook.com/Sepulturacombr
roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/
metalsludge.tv

have also mentioned it.

After recent varied rumors circulating, it looks like he has lost his battle with stomach cancer :(

R.I.P. Ronnie you Legend.

I have tickets to the Thursday Metallica show, missed out on floor tickets but still looking forward to it.  Will be the 2nd time I have seen them. 

Well, now heaven's got the ultimate band:
Drums: John Bonham (1948-1980, from Led Zeppelin);
Bass: Cliff Burton (1962-1986, from Metallica);
1st guitar: Randy Rhoads (1956-1982, from Ozzy Osbourne & Quiet Riot);
2nd guitar: Dimebag Darrell (1966-2004, from Pantera);
Vocals: Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010, from Black Sabbath & Dio).

Geez the Metallica GA Floor tickets to Acer Arena Sydney have sold out fast again (yesterday presale for new show announced for Sat 18 Sept).

Thankfully some of my crew already have GA Floor Tx @ Acer in Nov. Lookin' forward to it!

Vicky (the missus) and I are off to see the Eagles in Brisbane on Monday 13th December.  We have been to one of their concerts in Sydney each time that they have returned to Australia since they reunited back in 1994.  Hopefully their Brisbane concert will be just as good.  We bought Gold tickets this time for the first time.  We were looking at getting Platinum tickets but they are too ridiculously priced at $669.40 each plus Transaction fees from $20.10 per transaction when all that you get is:

- Guaranteed great seats in the first 14 rows
- An Eagles Tote Bag
- A special Eagles Notebook and Pen
- 2CD Set - Long Road Out of Eden (already got it)
- A Drink Voucher
- A dedicated Platinum VIP Merchandise Stand

Metallica! just missed front row seats by 2 nights.

I am off to see the best performer to grace this land in 10 years according to all the reviews. Caught him twice last year in Sydney and Melbourne and cant believe he is coming back in November.

Yeah front row, dead centre to Leonard Cohen at Acer 8 November, 2 nights before the Metallica shows.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8