Confusion reigns over Manly Sea Eagles try record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Brissie Kid said:
I went out of my way to call radio sports shows talkback & bag the NEs as a failure & push for Manly to go it alone again. I'm not ashamed at all I did that.
I used to do that too! :) I also used to write to people involved with the club, such as Peter Peters, Ian Thomson, Arko etc. and badger them about it, proclaiming the NE a failure and self-righteously haranguing them to bring back the Manly Sea Eagles. I found quite an ally in Arko, in fact, who rang me at home one Sunday morning in 2001 to express how he felt exactly as I did, and how much he appreciated the support of a "kindred spirit". We spoke on the phone for about half an hour, after which he seemed quite fired-up and promised to do everything he could to try and get rid of the NE and get Manly-Warringah back into the competition as a stand-alone club.

Which is, of course, what eventually happened. :D

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Nuttybott can be added to the list of Sea Eagles messiahs.

No, not a messiah or anything else. Just a deeply unhappy supporter who wanted his team back. Remember, in late 1999 and early 2000, the Manly Sea Eagles were GONE. And as far as anyone could tell at the time, they were never coming back. The press certainly took that line, and I remember getting very upset when Beaver made a comment in the local paper to the effect of "everyone has to understand that the Northern Eagles are here to stay". On the night of the first NE match (against Newcastle in February 2000) I was driving home to Point Clare (the next suburb to Gosford) from somewhere I had been that night, and as I drove to the top of the hill I could see the lights of NorthPower Stadium (as it then was) in the distance. I switched on the car radio and listened to a little of the broadcast of the pre-match preliminaries, including a speech welcoming the new club by then Prime Minister John Howard. I have never felt so miserable and lonely in my life. :( I couldn't bring myself to listen to the actual game, and indeed I never watched or listened to a single one of the NE's games, ever. It simply wasn't my team, and I had decided from the start to have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

As the 2000 season progressed sans Manly, I did become aware through the media that all was not going well for the joint venture. So at one point I decided to step up my personal boycott, by doing the one thing I COULD do about it...ie write. I wrote lengthy detailed letters to officials of the Manly club, expressing my opposition and disgust at the whole Northern Eagles venture, and asking them to consider whether on reflection it had been a good idea, in view of both the poor onfield results that season and the well-publicised boardroom turmoil between the Manly and Norths factions of the club. I actually received a reply from Peter Peters (then media manager of the NE), who attmpted to refute (not very convincingly) my indictments of the joint venture club. The thing was, though, he seemed to believe that my main objection to the Northern Eagles was simply that they were not winning at the time, and he closed by asking me to "be patient, and we will give you a team worth supporting". I replied that, with all due respect, he had missed my point. It made no difference to me whether the NEs won or lost...I wouldn't support them even if they won ten Grand Finals in a row, because they were not my team, and I told Zorba that. I wanted the Manly Sea Eagles back, nothing more nothing less. I repeated the same message in every letter or email I wrote to the club. But boy, I really felt like a lone voice crying in the wilderness at that time.

A few months later, I read some comments made by Ken Arthurson to the press, stating that the NEs were in one hell of a mess, both on and off the field. The club was on the verge of financial ruin, and the boardroom squabbling had escalated to the point where the joint venture was in danger of imploding at any time. Arko went on to suggest that Manly should break free of the JV and "go it alone" once more. Well, this was exactly what I had been wanting to hear...a powerful figure within the Manly club felt the same way I did, and what's more he might be in a position to actually DO something about it!

So that was when I made contact with Arko, and after that Sunday morning phone call (when we shared our mutual dislike and rejection of the NE project, and I did as much as I could to encourage his mind in the direction I think it was going anyway), I spoke to him several more times during the 2001 season. By the end of that time , he was determined that the NEs had to go, and as president of the Manly Leagues Club he began bringing pressure to bear on the Football Club, stating that the Leagues Club would give no more money to the NEs to bail them out, but was willing to fund a stand-alone return of the Manly Sea Eagles if the JV split up.

And the rest, as they say, is history. :)

I like to think that in my own small way - my own VERY small way - I helped the cause of getting our beloved Manly Sea Eagles back, by at least letting those within the club who didn't support the joint venture know that there were others who felt the same way, and by encouraging them to do something about it...

Awesome mate and great read. Would you be interewted in writing uo your experience in article form for the site?

Nuttybott said:
Dan said:
Awesome mate and great read. Would you be interewted in writing uo your experience in article form for the site?

I might do Dan, when I have time... :)

Copy
click submit article
paste
click submit

ta dah!

I was disappointed that we merged, but I went to some ne games. I thought some of manly is better than none. And the reserve grade team with choc etc was still manly, and they still sold sea eagles merchandise on game day. I came around to the idea of us taking over the whole north shore, which in some ways is a lost opportunity. But the fact is that norths would rather align with souths. Total disgrace they are. Once the venture was doomed at board level I was fearful that manly would not be able to go it alone. I am ever thankful that we survived, thanks max, penn whoever for that. We're not going anywhere!

I remember Mark Gerrard being in the Manly reserve grade team during the NE debacle years. Scored a great scrambling wingers try at Brookie one afternoon. They never offered him a NE contract & he went to RU.

A technical point. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Manly the sole licence owner for most of if not the just about whole last year as the Northern Eagles? Do they include those games/tries in Beavers Manly record?

Nuttybott said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Nuttybott can be added to the list of Sea Eagles messiahs.

No, not a messiah or anything else. Just a deeply unhappy supporter who wanted his team back. . . . . . It simply wasn't my team, and I had decided from the start to have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

As the 2000 season progressed sans Manly, I did become aware through the media that all was not going well for the joint venture. So at one point I decided to step up my personal boycott, by doing the one thing I COULD do about it...ie write. I wrote lengthy detailed letters to officials of the Manly club, expressing my opposition and disgust at the whole Northern Eagles venture, and asking them to consider whether on reflection it had been a good idea, in view of both the poor onfield results that season and the well-publicised boardroom turmoil between the Manly and Norths factions of the club . . . .. . ..

A few months later, I read some comments made by Ken Arthurson to the press, stating that the NEs were in one hell of a mess, both on and off the field. The club was on the verge of financial ruin, and the boardroom squabbling had escalated to the point where the joint venture was in danger of imploding at any time. Arko went on to suggest that Manly should break free of the JV and "go it alone" once more. Well, this was exactly what I had been wanting to hear...a powerful figure within the Manly club felt the same way I did, and what's more he might be in a position to actually DO something about it!

So that was when I made contact with Arko, and after that Sunday morning phone call (when we shared our mutual dislike and rejection of the NE project, and I did as much as I could to encourage his mind in the direction I think it was going anyway), I spoke to him several more times during the 2001 season. By the end of that time , he was determined that the NEs had to go, and as president of the Manly Leagues Club he began bringing pressure to bear on the Football Club, stating that the Leagues Club would give no more money to the NEs to bail them out, but was willing to fund a stand-alone return of the Manly Sea Eagles if the JV split up.

And the rest, as they say, is history. :)

I like to think that in my own small way - my own VERY small way - I helped the cause of getting our beloved Manly Sea Eagles back, by at least letting those within the club who didn't support the joint venture know that there were others who felt the same way, and by encouraging them to do something about it...

We, as Manly supporters, owe you a big thankyou. You helped, no doubt about it.

the following stats come from the club records on the mwse site:

Most Tries for the Club

151 Steve Menzies in 280 games

Most First Grade Games for the Club

309 Cliff Lyons 1986-99

280 Steve Menzies 1993-99, 2003-08

so even on our own clubs website there is no recognition of the northern eagles years.

not saying i agree but i noticed it & thought i'd share

castle eagle said:

Most Tries for the Club

309 Cliff Lyons 1986-99

so even on our own clubs website there is no recognition of the northern eagles years.

The club ignored the Northern Eagles history when they started to talk/celebrate about things like career wins, and games at Brookie, etc. IMO the club can't have it both ways. I've said in the past, I'm prepared to live with the shame of the Northern Eagles days to have Beaver, Tooves and Choc be rightfully called one club players. They've given me way too much enjoyment over the years for me to deny them that priviledge.

castle eagle said:

Most Tries for the Club

309 Cliff Lyons 1986-99

Perhaps they are obliged to play it 'official' on the official site.

Club records and player records are two different issues.

The NRL have already decided that.

The Storm were stripped of their premierships - the players were allowed to keep their premiership rings.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6