Contract inertia ‘stressful’ for Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sometimes I wonder if certain fans even watch the Manly games...Outside of Choc, Glenn is still the best forward at the club! Sign him up at the expense of any one of our other forwards!!!! The biggest difference between the Manly pack now and the Manly pack from the glory days is aggression and toughness; we don't need to lose another hard head.

globaleagle said:
Price fixing is illegal in Aust!!!
Aside from tariffs, quotas, & subsidies.
Plus there's so much illegal price fixing it may as well be legal.

manlyfan76 said:
globaleagle said:
Maybe the nrl should stump up the diff between what we can pay him (re salary cap issues) and what 'they' determine is his market value.

Said like a true Canadian-sympathiser- do gooder liberal hippie herb smoker. Always against The Man.

:)

I thought my post was for the man....the man being gifty! ?

liberal hippie...lol :D:cool:

SeaEagleRock8 said:
globaleagle said:
Aside from tariffs, quotas, & subsidies.
Plus there's so much illegal price fixing it may as well be legal.

You're a country of crims!

Congrats to the Daily Telegraph for running this story on 5 successive days.

Haven't seen this type of determination since the Foran, Stewarts, TRex and about 10 others to the dogs with Hasler.

Snake said:
Sometimes I wonder if certain fans even watch the Manly games...Outside of Choc, Glenn is still the best forward at the club! Sign him up at the expense of any one of our other forwards!!!! The biggest difference between the Manly pack now and the Manly pack from the glory days is aggression and toughness; we don't need to lose another hard head.

I agree with what you say but which backrowers would you let go? I've used the plural because our other backrowers (Choc aside) are bargain basement buys, it would not be a simple as for example Horro out Gift in, Symonds out Gift in.

I'm really surprised and disappointed that Jamie commented to the media on this at all this week. After last weekends fiasco I would have thought they would be professional enough to be concentrating on the job they are being payed for. Obviously not and therefore their minds are still not on the job. The Sharks are specials on Sunday and this is rapidy de-railing this season. The club must come out one way or another NOW and put this bull.... to bed. Sign him or tell him to look elsewhere. I'm sick of hearing it and sick of players commenting on it. Shut the f... up and play football.

RiverEagle said:
Actually I don't even read newspapers that much either @stevo......Sorry for having an opinion...

Anyone who thinks it's not an issue, and at the very least a distraction to the group, is delusional.

How can you have an opinion on a subject you know nothing about?

All you know is the garbage you are being fed by news outlets.

The Telecrap's story today - the fifth on the subject in five days - says the NRL is not prepared to help Manly keep their long-serving Gift.
How pathetic are this mob?
They obviously don't care if there is mass player turnover, unrest and upheaval.
Just another way the NRL slaps we fans in the face.
I love Manly but despise the NRL clowns who are doing everything to turn me off rugby league, which I've followed for more than 50 years.

Garts said:
I would love to be able to keep gift but why should we get special dispensation?

Because Mini was given one just this year :cool:

He was valued at the reduced contract value that he chose to accept. Gifty is still valued as an active representative Player despite not playing rep games last year. :dodgy:

Stevo said:
RiverEagle said:
Actually I don't even read newspapers that much either @stevo......Sorry for having an opinion...

Anyone who thinks it's not an issue, and at the very least a distraction to the group, is delusional.

How can you have an opinion on a subject you know nothing about?

All you know is the garbage you are being fed by news outlets.

Sigh...So based on that benchmark @stevo 99% of the ppl here and society at large are delusional, and it's just you that arbitrates the truth...
There are a lot of ppl here making assumptions and having their say too, even in this thread. Last time I looked, that's the point of these forums.
You make one hell of an assumption of me based solely on what you read here, too.

OT: Others in this thread are commenting on how they're sick of it, players shouldn't be talking to the media, we should make Stewart an offer or move him on...No more or less than my opinion on it.
Logically, you disagree with all of them as well.
Go waste their time.

Garts said:
I would love to be able to keep gift but why should we get special dispensation?

All long-term players should be given dispensation. My suggestion is 10% off once they play five consecutive years with the one club, and 10% for every following season. Thus, if you are a 10-year veteran, your salary is counted at 50% under the cap.

HappilyManly said:
Garts said:

Because Mini was given one just this year :cool:

He was valued at the reduced contract value that he chose to accept. Gifty is still valued as an active representative Player despite not playing rep games last year. :dodgy:

The Mini situation and the Gift situation are completely different.

Mini has played for the Roosters for many years and had been a fundamental component of the Roosters' success. He formed close bonds with the club, the fans and the playing staff. He is synonymous with the Roosters and it would send the wrong message about loyalty and, particularly as the Roosters are reigning premiers, it would not be good for the game if he were forced to play in any club's other colours.

In contrast, Gift has played for Manly for many years and had been a fundamental component of Manly's success. He formed close bonds with the club, the fans and the playing staff. He is synonymous with Manly. However ,as Manly almost beat the Roosters and Hayne in the GF last year, it is best for the game if he is forced out of Manly to level out the competition.

The NRL needs to focus on more important issues, like working out how to get SBW back to the Roosters. That is something far more worthy of a salary cap exemption because if the NRL give SBW a good deal he will never leave again because he is such a loyal bloke.

The NRL also needs to work out how the Roosters can replace SBW while he is playing rugby. Hopefully an experienced premiership winning ball playing back rower comes on the market sometime soon so they can sign him up.

Flawless plan, if Gifty were a disingenuous, narcissistic f'wit :cool:

The NRL ostracised his brother, so Gifty would not be expecting anything humane from them :dodgy:

The Who said:
Garts said:

All long-term players should be given dispensation. My suggestion is 10% off once they play five consecutive years with the one club, and 10% for every following season. Thus, if you are a 10-year veteran, your salary is counted at 50% under the cap.

I am not sold yet. Sure that would benefit us now but maybe it would not in 5 or 10 years and we would be at a significant disadvantage compared to other clubs.

Anyway, I suspect whilst there are definitely salary cap issues at play I also suspect the bigger part of this issue is Manly do not want to sign a older player at the expense of a younger one. The club needs to plan to transition the older brigade out over time instead of in one go which would be very bad for performances. No win situation for the club really.

I think both parties have been loyal to each other, Glenn with staying at Manly and Manly keeping a player on their books for 10yrs so no-one is to blame.

Time now to build up the next group of players that Manly can create a conducive environment for loyalty to flourish for the next 7-10yrs if that is possible in the modern game.

I just hope they keep Matai because his numbers are still amazing and Watmough to help nurture the new brigade coming through and instill toughness with loyalty.

If Glenn still retained some explosiveness or running backrower qualities beyond being a slow moving ball player i would have no issue retaining him.

In the end the modern game and defensive structures will kill off such players and his role will be like a Jason Smith for the Raiders in his final years.(with higher tackle counts and more toughness so still not a bad purchase for a team trying to crack the 8)

Surely by now Gift realises we can't and won't keep him and therefore he should be seeking his last big payday. I hope he tries England I think he would be fantastic over there. His style really suits English super league.

The honourable thing to do, just like his mate Beaver would be to take a deal in Super League and not have to play his mates.

Let's see though

Mals said:
I agree with what you say but which backrowers would you let go? I've used the plural because our other backrowers (Choc aside) are bargain basement buys, it would not be a simple as for example Horro out Gift in, Symonds out Gift in.

As much as I like him, Bruher would be on more than he is worth having played a SOO game (mandatory upgrade). Move the Wolfman on, and do not re-sign Hiku, and hopefully that would be enough to fit Glenn in. I cannot understand why are chasing Hiku so hard, when Glenn is sitting by without a contract. We have Snake, Lyon, Matai, Taufua, and Blair, which is more than adequate without Hiku.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6