Corey Waddell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He has been signed on cheap coin for say positions 17 to 21. Was a starter for Dogs and is a decent, effort player.

Suggesting he is only here because of Jake is a tad disrespectful. I imagine Siebold may have asked Jake what he thought and Jake would have given a good account. Nothing wrong with that.

For those posters bemoaning our lack of star signings I strongly encourage you to become recruitment officer. I look forward to you nabbing Leota, Fischer Harris, Martin and AFB etc instead of "our duds". While your at it also please sign Edwards and Crichton.

I'm surprised so many forum members liked your post? For me, it just sounded like excuses, and it also sounds like we are now habitually setting the bar really, REALLY low these days as a fanbase.

Fans SHOULD be bemoaning our recruitment / retention. Where has it gotten us in the last 10 years @MW66? - how many finals appearances? How many Grand Final wins? Jesus, in the past two years, I'll say, how many top 8 teams can we beat? The answer is not many to all the above.

But you'd like us to herald signing other teams washed up castoffs? I can't believe 10-11 people liked your opinion on it? Know what? I'm starting to think as a club (community) we deserve this period of mediocrity, if we are willing like you have here, to excuse any sort of recruitment decision.

It's funny you know. We all must have very short term memories!! Do you NOT remember how we became a heavy weight in the league last time under Des? People bitched and complained when players like Monaghan, Burns, Hicks & others were moved on (average players), but Des went quality over quantity, and in came the likes of Brent Kite, Ben Kennedy, Matt Orford, Steven Bell, Shane Rodney, Jamie Lyon - THAT'S how we improved.

Come on guys - let's rally behind the club more and demand something better. Until that happens, we'll continue to be almost rans.

Jesus guys:

• Kalvin

Bencher · 38

• Messages 1,208
    • Reaction score 2,702
    • Points 273

• 👍 Yesterday at 10:12 PM

eaglebuzz

Bencher

• Messages 4,394
    • Reaction score 7,681
    • Points 523

• 👍 Yesterday at 7:07 PM

Pepi

Bencher · 53

• Messages 1,507
    • Reaction score 2,246
    • Points 273

• 👍 Yesterday at 6:34 PM

Phobia

Member · 23

• Messages 6
    • Reaction score 14
    • Points 3

• 👍 Yesterday at 4:27 PM

Will on the hill

Bencher · 42

• Messages 3,045
    • Reaction score 6,487
    • Points 523

• 🏆 Yesterday at 4:14 PM

eadie fan

Reserve Grader · 53 · From Wollstonecraft

• Messages 252
    • Reaction score 763
    • Points 103

Come on guys, we seriously dont believe that do we??????

We are not picking teams for a local indoor cricket comp here.....
Just turned 27 and already has 95 games NRL experience. Definitely a solid signing.
Who knows why the Dogs let him go, no doubt they have some grand scheme.
I actually have bigger expectations of Waddell right now than I do of Schuster, but hopefully they'll both go great.

Des went quality over quantity, and in came the likes of Brent Kite, Ben Kennedy, Matt Orford, Steven Bell, Shane Rodney, Jamie Lyon - THAT'S how we improved.
True, but the problem then is, what happens when you already have all those stars - it's hard to replace them with more stars if you aren't the Roosters.
Everyone knows we already have several marquee type players, so we need to build around them until the right star import becomes available. It's fairly clear Seibold has an eye out for a top signing, but to land one a number of things have to align.

Just turned 27 and already has 95 games NRL experience. Definitely a solid signing.
Who knows why the Dogs let him go, no doubt they have some grand scheme.
I actually have bigger expectations of Waddell right now than I do of Schuster, but hopefully they'll both go great.

Why does any club who has a player that wants to be there, let them go? Because they have better options, is the answer. At The Bulldogs, that bar is set pretty low.

True, but the problem then is, what happens when you already have all those stars - it's hard to replace them with more stars if you aren't the Roosters.
Everyone knows we already have several marquee type players, so we need to build around them until the right star import becomes available. It's fairly clear Seibold has an eye out for a top signing, but to land one a number of things have to align.

Look at The Storm's model. Since Ben Ikin has been at The Broncos, look at their model. Look at The Roosters model. Look at the Panthers model. Just because WE can't apply a working model (including some hard / tough decisions), doesn't mean it can't be done, because it can - as can be seen with the teams I've listed.

I'm surprised so many forum members liked your post? For me, it just sounded like excuses, and it also sounds like we are now habitually setting the bar really, REALLY low these days as a fanbase.

Fans SHOULD be bemoaning our recruitment / retention. Where has it gotten us in the last 10 years @MW66? - how many finals appearances? How many Grand Final wins? Jesus, in the past two years, I'll say, how many top 8 teams can we beat? The answer is not many to all the above.

But you'd like us to herald signing other teams washed up castoffs? I can't believe 10-11 people liked your opinion on it? Know what? I'm starting to think as a club (community) we deserve this period of mediocrity, if we are willing like you have here, to excuse any sort of recruitment decision.

It's funny you know. We all must have very short term memories!! Do you NOT remember how we became a heavy weight in the league last time under Des? People bitched and complained when players like Monaghan, Burns, Hicks & others were moved on (average players), but Des went quality over quantity, and in came the likes of Brent Kite, Ben Kennedy, Matt Orford, Steven Bell, Shane Rodney, Jamie Lyon - THAT'S how we improved.

Come on guys - let's rally behind the club more and demand something better. Until that happens, we'll continue to be almost rans.

Jesus guys:

• Kalvin

Bencher · 38
    • Messages 1,208
    • Reaction score 2,702
    • Points 273

eaglebuzz

Bencher
    • Messages 4,394
    • Reaction score 7,681
    • Points 523

Pepi

Bencher · 53
    • Messages 1,507
    • Reaction score 2,246
    • Points 273

Phobia

Member · 23
    • Messages 6
    • Reaction score 14
    • Points 3

Will on the hill

Bencher · 42
    • Messages 3,045
    • Reaction score 6,487
    • Points 523

eadie fan

• Messages 252
    • Reaction score 763
    • Points 103

The purpose of displaying the activities of posters that agreed or liked a post you don't like is what?

Jesus guys:

• Kalvin

Bencher · 38

• Messages 1,208
    • Reaction score 2,702
    • Points 273

eaglebuzz

Bencher

• Messages 4,394
    • Reaction score 7,681
    • Points 523

Pepi

Bencher · 53

• Messages 1,507
    • Reaction score 2,246
    • Points 273

Phobia

Member · 23

• Messages 6
    • Reaction score 14
    • Points 3

Will on the hill

Bencher · 42

• Messages 3,045
    • Reaction score 6,487
    • Points 523

eadie fan

• Messages 252
    • Reaction score 763
    • Points 103

MW66 wasn't claiming that the duck is the incoming messiah. He is now an experienced 1st grader that we got on the cheap.

I've got an inkling that Trent upgraded him at Manly and then got the dogs to pay even more to bring him over. Probably resulted on him being 300k+. He didn't justify that price and has now fallen back to close to minimum contract.

He is a low risk recruit, gives us depth on the cheap and has some possible upside.

Jesus guys

Ryan mate, none of the bleating that we do on here is going to change the club's recruitment strategy. It's not like they are going out of their way to sign crap players, we have to make some peace with the fact that we don't have a Nick Politis, a dodgy Leagues club, or a solid winning record to attract players with.

Jesus guys:

• Kalvin

Bencher · 38

• Messages 1,208
    • Reaction score 2,702
    • Points 273

eaglebuzz

Bencher

• Messages 4,394
    • Reaction score 7,681
    • Points 523

Pepi

Bencher · 53

• Messages 1,507
    • Reaction score 2,246
    • Points 273

Phobia

Member · 23

• Messages 6
    • Reaction score 14
    • Points 3

Will on the hill

Bencher · 42

• Messages 3,045
    • Reaction score 6,487
    • Points 523

eadie fan

• Messages 252
    • Reaction score 763
    • Points 103

What you call rallying behind the club I see as rallying against it. There is no world where we can reverse the signing, even if we wanted to. No amount of rhetoric on a forum will change the playing squad for 2024.

I don't know about you but I choose to enjoy following Manly in the good times and the bad. The quickest way to ruin that is believe I have any influence on the results/trajectory of the team whatsoever.

I really like your posts mate but we definitely see things in a different light.

Jesus guys:

• Kalvin

Bencher · 38

• Messages 1,208
    • Reaction score 2,702
    • Points 273

eaglebuzz

Bencher

• Messages 4,394
    • Reaction score 7,681
    • Points 523

Pepi

Bencher · 53

• Messages 1,507
    • Reaction score 2,246
    • Points 273

Phobia

Member · 23

• Messages 6
    • Reaction score 14
    • Points 3

Will on the hill

Bencher · 42

• Messages 3,045
    • Reaction score 6,487
    • Points 523

eadie fan

• Messages 252
    • Reaction score 763
    • Points 103

Mate not really sure to start with this. We have a different opinion that is all. However I do take offense to your comment "sounds like excuses". I don't mind Waddell and think he will be a good squad player. You disagree and then espouse years of failure and how the club lacks professionalism and ambition. Good luck to you. I simply have a different opinion. I also wish/hope the club does better next year but I will be supporting all the same.

Throughout his first stint at Manly Waddell overall had deficiencies - particularly in attack - where he rarely passed the ball thereby starving outside players. However, whilst at Canterbury I noticed he had clearly improved his ball-playing skills. As his defense and toughness have always been good, I think that overall, he could well be a very handy acquisition.

Look at The Storm's model. Since Ben Ikin has been at The Broncos, look at their model. Look at The Roosters model. Look at the Panthers model. Just because WE can't apply a working model (including some hard / tough decisions), doesn't mean it can't be done, because it can - as can be seen with the teams I've listed.
Like most things in the world @Ryan it comes down to money.

Unfortunately we aren’t a wealthy club anymore. We haven’t been for a while.

Now you either need poker machine revenue or an owner that’s prepared to throw some coin into the club. We have neither!

The Northern beaches biggest pokie den is the DYRSL and they don’t have to put anything into the club.

I would like to live on Collaroy Beach a few doors up from Des. I just don’t have the funds. And just because I’m used to living there, doesn’t mean I can live there now. There are now people with more money that me, and they can now have what I became accustomed to having in the 70’ 80’s 90s and 2000’s.

Signing Corey Waddell for the minimum is not the problem. Having Aaron Woods around on a train and trial is not the problem.

Paying Turbo, Schu, and Aloiai $2.5m combined and getting minimal return is the problem.

If those 3 are fit and at their best this year, then you won't even think about Waddell and Woods.

I think we have a similar model to those clubs you mentioned but unfortunately a totally different mix and structure. We are far more top heavy in the "elite" part of our cap where for example we have 7 "elite" players that take up close to $6m which is more than half our cap. That leaves an average of only $260k for the remaining 23 players and this average number is even less when you take into account players like Toulu, Garrick, Saab, Paeseka, Lodge etc who are not in that elite category. Hence why we cant do any more big ticket buys and hence why we are now relying on bargain basement buys.

So this current mix is definitely one part of our problem but also the fact that we are not getting value for money even given this top heavy mix. Turbo ongoing injuries, Josh perplexing form, Jake one dimensional and Alio Olio perennially injured.

I think the club is working towards re-balancing this equation and keeping it's fingers crossed in terms of getting better value with some of these elite players next year. Not sure what else Seibold can do right now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8