• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Duff said:
MWSE said:
You can blame the costs! The price of a general admission ticket is outrageous! To not be guaranteed a seat on a piece of grass. Way too high. I remember the good old days when it was $10 for an adult to sit on the hill.

Really?
The cost?

It's funny how the cost never seems to bother Aussie Rules fans. Their prices are higher.
Is it because you don't think RL is worth any more than 10 bucks but AFL is such a spectacle you'd pay 60?

I remember when tickets were $10 too. Other stuff was cheaper as well. It's called inflation. You can't use it as an excuse.

If only salaries had increased by 150% over that time to.

The cost of going to a game is ridiculous. Factor in the food and beers. $20 for a GA adult ticket seems fair IMO.

MWSE said:
Duff said:
MWSE said:
You can blame the costs! The price of a general admission ticket is outrageous! To not be guaranteed a seat on a piece of grass. Way too high. I remember the good old days when it was $10 for an adult to sit on the hill.

Really?
The cost?

It's funny how the cost never seems to bother Aussie Rules fans. Their prices are higher.
Is it because you don't think RL is worth any more than 10 bucks but AFL is such a spectacle you'd pay 60?

I remember when tickets were $10 too. Other stuff was cheaper as well. It's called inflation. You can't use it as an excuse.

The cost of going to a game is ridiculous. Factor in the food and beers. $20 for a GA adult ticket seems fair IMO.

Get membership and you are paying $16 a game.

Jono said:
MWSE said:
Duff said:
MWSE said:

Really?
The cost?

Get membership and you are paying $16 a game.

I already have membership. Hence the I'm a member tag on my profile.

Darren said:
Give up The Who! I agree that being there is the best. Last week was amazing but you could see big gaps. Why? A number of reasons.
1. Costs in Sydney are so high. $100 for a family with petrol etc when people can't pay their mortgage.
2. Majority of fans are on lower incomes and just can't make it. TV is too comfy and cost free.
3. Waiting around for nearly an hour with nothing on. Still don't understand why they do this (Toyota to NRL)
4. 1970's facilities that most people don't want anymore (not the warm fuzzy feeling) With McMansions everywhere the new generations want comfort! Hence the consistent low crowds!
5. "Fans" with vile language in front of families. A guy near me on Brookie hill last weekend screamed out Fu## cu## Fag### Slu# every 2nd word and then got worse with sexual language (in front of women and kids) It was such a shame as beautiful weather, team winning and you have to hear this trash. Shame there was no police about as I wonder if he would have done it.
As I said before (and only my opinion and not judging anyone) I would never take my family there (language etc) and I'd say that's why gates are down. Family of 4-5 tick over much more than singles.
6. Food Quality and Price: No need to discuss.

I loved it last week but "hardcores" are becoming fewer in number(except Rabbits etc) Last week I saw the same old heads on the hill in the same spots.

Our crowds continues to shrink and can't see any change for our future. I hear we need 16k to break even and that ain't happening anymore! The new tv deal and perth games will be our saviour.

if the dumb arses buy mcmansions then cant afford to pay stiff **** to them.

$100 is heaps cheaper than going to the movies these days so that point is wrong as well.

Like to know what the break down of fans incomes are? Please post since you have this information.

no exuse for low crowd last night
our fans have to stand up or going to end up a long way a way from brookvale should have been a easy 17 000 2 top eight teams palying with 2 week s to go, people dont take for granted what we have

If people are in huge mortage debt they probably aren't going to the movies either. (fill the car of petrol to get to work or go to the footy?)
$100 is cheap when you have it!!
Looking at alot of fans, there wouldn't be too many lawyers or doctors hanging out at rugby league games. It's always been a game for the working classes (ain't Union)

There are always going to be reasons not to go to a game but the bottom line is if you want to go, you will.

I'll never pretend the cost is not an issue, especially for families. Mine are not league fans so it doesn't impact me but I can see how the cost of taking a family of four to any ground, not just Brookie, would be prohibitive.

The facilities have to come into question though. I agree, places like ANZ where you are so far from the game are useless. But Brookie is without doubt the most outdated ground in the NRL. I'm not suggesting Manly move. I'm saying it has to be updated to be more in line with places like Kogarah. Sh*t, even Penrith's ground leaves ours for dead. We may have to play somewhere else temporarily but it'll be worth it.

Last week I had to move to the NW corner because standing at the back of the hill all I could see were the backs of people's heads.

As for the price of food...you can always bring your own...and $6 for a beer. Simple solution...don't buy it. But there's not much you can do about the ground. It is what it is and will continue to be so until a government (Federal or State...preferably both) takes action.

Its nothing short of a joke.

Darren said:
If people are in huge mortage debt they probably aren't going to the movies either. (fill the car of petrol to get to work or go to the footy?)
Looking at alot of fans, there wouldn't be too many lawyers or doctors hanging out at rugby league games. It's always been a game for the working classes (ain't Union)

people who are in a huge mortgage debt have chosen their path, they chose a mc mansion over a cheap game of footy.

I know a footy fan who cant make many games now because of his mortgage and not having enough money. He is doing it tough like a lot of those who you refer to, so tough they just bought a brand new car.

Very few fans have the excuse of money, most like above have the excuse of i didnt want to go, i would rather spend money on my mcmansion and new car.

I work out campbelltown way and 9 out of 10 cars driving around there are far nicer than what i drive. Why not get a car a year older than the one you were going to get, save a few thousand and then go to 20 or 30 games over the next few years?

It simply called living within your means/where your priorities are at.

Good topic by The Who.
My two cents worth , in no particular order -
1. Promo by the club and the NRL - a) It was the last home game for Whare, T-Rex & Lussick and although they're not exactly legends of the game or the club, they are players that have contributed to our success over the past few years I reckon it's still worth a mention in the lead up to the game and also after on the now standard lap of the ground.
b) Couple that with Petero's last ever match in Sydney and you've got a little more promo stuff ( Yes, he's a Qlder but he's an "ornament to the game" too,he's 37 ffs! )
c) Manly's last home game of the season remembering any "home" final isn't at Brookie.
2. The large gap in time between NYC and the main game.
3. Live TV - although there's a billion reasons for that.
4. We've had our last 4 home games on TV ( Ch 9 )
5. Apathy (maybe) bred from our footy teams success "ah.. we don't need to pack the joint, we'll win anyway..."

Not really sure how to make the game day experience better, you either like going to the footy warts and all or you don't. It's a matter of being conditioned to it at a young age and it is what it is. There'll always be some d!ckheads at every match, put up with it for a few hours and carry on I say but our world is becoming more and more sanitised everyday so some people like the safety of their lounge room.

Plenty more views and ideas but....

True Fluffy, I work with someone who whinges but then gets a new car, family trip to Europe etc and I don't get it how they can!!

Keeping an older house is smart. My wife and I live in a 3 bedroom cladded place and we have a small mortgage. Some of my friends places takes days to walk from front to back lol

Tough getting big crowds to Brookvale Oval on Friday nights. Supporters need to leave work, often go home to pick up family members/friends & then head to the game while contending with bad peak hour traffic. Tough to do especially when not a northern beaches local.

Saturday & Sunday games we should be getting 16K+ no excuses. Friday night games 13K is ok for an out of town opponent.

Fluffy said:
Darren said:

people who are in a huge mortgage debt have chosen their path, they chose a mc mansion over a cheap game of footy.

I know a footy fan who cant make many games now because of his mortgage and not having enough money. He is doing it tough like a lot of those who you refer to, so tough they just bought a brand new car.

Very few fans have the excuse of money, most like above have the excuse of i didnt want to go, i would rather spend money on my mcmansion and new car.

I work out campbelltown way and 9 out of 10 cars driving around there are far nicer than what i drive. Why not get a car a year older than the one you were going to get, save a few thousand and then go to 20 or 30 games over the next few years?

It simply called living within your means/where your priorities are at.

All true to an extent but the fact is people can still do all that (buy a McMansion and a fancy car) and then they are left with a low disposable income so going to the footy is not always going to be a high priority. So whilst they have bought their financial situation on themselves lack of funds is still a valid reason not to go. I know my priority would be for a nice house over going to the footy. However I would never over extend myself.

Darren said:
Give up The Who! I agree that being there is the best. Last week was amazing but you could see big gaps. Why? A number of reasons.

. . .

5. "Fans" with vile language in front of families. A guy near me on Brookie hill last weekend screamed out Fu## cu## Fag### Slu# every 2nd word and then got worse with sexual language (in front of women and kids) It was such a shame as beautiful weather, team winning and you have to hear this trash. Shame there was no police about as I wonder if he would have done it.

As I said before (and only my opinion and not judging anyone) I would never take my family there (language etc) and I'd say that's why gates are down. Family of 4-5 tick over much more than singles. . .

There remains a heroic element that thinks attending an NRL match is a licence to carry on like a brain damaged goat on steroids. In short, behaviour they'd never think to repeat anywhere else.

It doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to put a significant number of potential spectators off (I met one at the leagues club before the game the other night). Particularly those who would otherwise like to take their kids, or girlfriend, or mum…

Like it or not, the future of the game spectator-wise depends upon making it a comfortable and safe experience suitable not just for groups of males but also for families.

Great points SER8, It didn't seem to bother the few girls around him but I suppose they couldn't do much. We were smashing the Knights, blue sky and a sunday arvo on the hill and this stuff happens. I've been around bad language but this guy took the cake.
Yes, I imagine you are thinking "sit on the family hill" but really why should I/we have too?? I'd be paying nearly $100 bucks for entertainment and cop this. What happens, families won't go again. The future is our kids and if stalwarts like me won't take them (next generation) our future will look fairly grim. I'd love nothing more than taking my 2 girls to Brookie with Manly flags and cheering the team.

I agree Darren the language can be blue however it is generally in the minority and is no worse than it was 40 years ago when I started sitting on the hill. Not sure there really is much we can do about it and I know avoiding going to games is not the answer as the club needs you and other supporters attending. Aside from reporting the culprits to security I would suggest you continue to set a good example to your kids and I am sure they will turn a blind eye to the behavior.

I did think about asking security Sheik but was worried it may ruin the day etc. It is in the minority for sure but they seem to be always near me!! lol

Sheikheagle said:
I agree Darren the language can be blue however it is generally in the minority and is no worse than it was 40 years ago when I started sitting on the hill. Not sure there really is much we can do about it and I know avoiding going to games is not the answer as the club needs you and other supporters attending. Aside from reporting the culprits to security I would suggest you continue to set a good example to your kids and I am sure they will turn a blind eye to the behavior.

Lol don't like swearing? Cool there's a then family hill and if that's not good enough sit in a stand your majesty! Be sure to bring a cushion for your sitting pleasure so your supple bum doesn't get sore

Christ its a football game you should try attending a U/6s in the Penrith district and here the typical bogan mother screaming "rip his ****en head off"

Don't like swearing well there Disney on ice and probably ballet you can attend....oh and also to all the parents here's a reality check

Your kids have fouler mouths than you could possibly imagine, they learnt it at school and things will continue to decline, any kids who say they never swear and are in year 2 or higher are full of ****, lying is worse than swearing

Grow up, the kids are worse than the adults

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7