Cullen ready to take his chance at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cullen is a good young player. But let's not build him up like Matt Parcell last off season.

If we were after a partner for DCE, Foggerty is the organising halfback who kicks goals.

Two five eights is however very Bozo.
Fogarty has signed with Parra.

Cullen is a good young player. But let's not build him up like Matt Parcell last off season.

If we were after a partner for DCE, Foggerty is the organising halfback who kicks goals.

Two five eights is however very Bozo.
Matt Parcell was great for us IMO, he just missed plenty of game time but was good in the games he played, nice dummy half runs, support plays and delivery from dummy half to first receiver, I was very impressed as I thought he'd be a flop.

Reckon he showed signs that he could play for Queensland in the future, got a good football mind on him and knows when to do his runs so that he can apply pressure on the opposition, good to have on the back of an offload and can build something special with the Trbo's

So your just upset we didn't sign Fogarty? Meaning you wanted 2 halfbacks? DCE does plenty of organising and kicking. Are you saying that DCE isn't capable of the organising the team?

No offence to DCE but he couldn't organise a shag in a brothel. He's more the 'play what's in front of him' type halfback. Do you recall the first 10 rounds this year when he had Walker alongside of him and had to not only be the play maker but also the organiser because of Walker's shortcoming at pivot? We were a rabble in attack and it wasn't until Killer moved to 5/8 that he was able to start getting back to his natural game and we at least looked a bit more organised.

Why do you think he never excelled as the Qld halfback when he got his chance? Because us much as they would always say different after the games it was obvious that he was expected to play Cronk's orgainising roll and let Thurston provide the play making. He just couldn't do it even with Scam Smith there to help him.

Fair points.
I agree with you in that he isn't a Cooper Cronk. That's a fairly big comparison to make. Cooper will end up going down as one of the greats. Throwing DCE in to replace him at origin level with bugger all notice was never going to make DCE shine. They aren't remotely on the same level in my opinion.

Saying DCE couldn't organise anything during the Walker experiment is a bit tough in my opinion. Every team knew he was the pivotal half... Walker (no offence to him cause I think he's a weapon) isn't a half. He's a ball runner. That's it. All the teams knew this and were able to rush DCE. This made his efforts look ordinary.

With DCE on one side and Lyon on the other - we looked so much better. Adding Green will again improve because he's a better ball player and in play kicker than Lyon.
My point is the Cullen (from what I've see) is more than capable of organising 1 side of the field like Green will do this year. Just my opinion.
Agreed, and defenses were also able to rush dce because of the lollipop passes he was getting from dummy half.

I'm sure you are right Mark but just what the contracts are reported to be ... my point is we payed overs for DCE ... and for years to come

Last edited:
I'm sure you are right Mark but just what the contracts are reported to be ... my point is we payed overs for DCE ... and for years to come
We may have payed overs but quality playmakers such as Daly are rare. Soon DCE will getting less than everyone cause I believe clubs are going to start really spending money to keep stars.

Yes the Joker, Bozo & co ****ed that up, Dave Perry had him signed ( almost) for significantly less but then we had the Forme fiasco ( which is why I hate that little prick so much these days).

Daly has the deal of a lifetime but now will have the expectations for a lifetime as a result.

He should be better in 2017, the structure for this year didn't allow that BUT only time will tell.

yes ... 2017 will tell us a lot ... lets hope its good news ... solid 5/8 partner for DCE and some young guns in the wings (Cullen & T Wright), lets hope TB shows a marked improvement and we don't suffer the same run of injuries .... fewer 5 day turn a rounds would be nice

Yes the Joker, Bozo & co ****ed that up, Dave Perry had him signed ( almost) for significantly less but then we had the Forme fiasco ( which is why I hate that little prick so much these days).
And the reason for not signing Chez at the lower rate? Indecision? Politics (too close to 2V or the other owners)? Preference for Foran? None of these reasons would reflect well on recruitment decision makers.

Building a team is not just a matter of buying the best talent. Part of the path to success is having leaders who are, put simply, good people. People like King and Lyon. People who guide others in how to live a life of integrity. To have picked Foran as one of our targeted key leaders, whilst knowing his close associations with Hayson, and even discussing the problem of this with NRL headquarters, shows a clear lack of good judgement in leader selection.

Buhrer strikes me as fitting this mould of a fundamentally "good" person, the sort of leader we need to influence those with talent and "colourful pasts" to move forward positively. Barrett seems to have recognised Buhrer's qualities by appointing him co-captain. It would be disappointing to have Barrett's assessment of leadership qualities over-ridden by recruitment decision makers.

yes ... 2017 will tell us a lot ... lets hope its good news ... solid 5/8 partner for DCE and some young guns in the wings (Cullen & T Wright), lets hope TB shows a marked improvement and we don't suffer the same run of injuries .... fewer 5 day turn a rounds would be nice

I'm of the opinion we won't have too many 5 dayers in 2017, and the reason for this is no Monday's and we won't at all be popular on Chan 9, so most games Saturday, with maybe the occasional Sunday early game.

Last edited:
Good luck to Cullen in todays State GF. Not FG but a high standard and should give a good indication of the level he is at.
Yeah I hope he plays well,there are 2 other guys playing who are supposedly doing well that would be interesting to see how they go as potential signings.Sam Saiuluma on the wing who plays a bit like Taufua but with better hands and Kurtis Rowe at fullback who plays well down the edges.Both have previous NRL experience but didn't receive offers and went to QRL to keep their careers going...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6