Cust will tip Elgey to partner DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I like Croker at 6 . He's got a good kicking game , can put a player through a hole , good defense and fits in nicely with Dce. Problem is his injuries and I just cannot see him shaking them anytime soon. Just seems to be one after the other for the poor buggar. He is streets ahead of anyone else we have at the moment, and that's not dissing on Cust , as he's doing ok but has a long way to go to be our long term 6 .

Does everyone think that the D Walker @ 6 experiment is officially buried ?? Remember he was bought here by Bozo with much fanfare about him being our answer at 5/8, but as we know Barrett couldn't unlock that potential.

Does Des The Nutty Professor have the skills to get the chemistry right on the Cherry / Walker combo?? At full strength that keeps Suli and Parker in the centres.

I personally can't see it but was wondering what others thought - any upside ? could it work ??

Does everyone think that the D Walker @ 6 experiment is officially buried ?? Remember he was bought here by Bozo with much fanfare about him being our answer at 5/8, but as we know Barrett couldn't unlock that potential.

Does Des The Nutty Professor have the skills to get the chemistry right on the Cherry / Walker combo?? At full strength that keeps Suli and Parker in the centres.

I personally can't see it but was wondering what others thought - any upside ? could it work ??
I personally like the idea. I think Walker would benefit from moving in one in defence, I think he can be a running 5/8 like Wighton. DCE can do the kicking. Proving the outside backs don't catch a cold, it is not a bad option. Elliot to wing and Suli into the centres with Parker. It obviously won't happen with a while with the injuries to Suli and Parker but it is a feasible option at the back end of the year.

His lack of a kicking game and I suspect his inability to play to a structure are my main areas of concern. He'd be a running 5/8 no doubt, maybe a bit like Munster as well as Wighton - so it could work in the right environment. But we all know DCE struggles as the sole captain of the ship and we invariably end up like the Titanic when he is the only one on the bridge - at least that's what I was constantly told last year when we didn't have Blake Green and we ran aground more often than not.

If we had a Cameron Smith type hooker that directed the play and could provide a kicking option out of dummy half then a Walker / DCE running halves combo could be wicked.

Last edited:

I mentioned it last week but nobody was keen

I looked back to last season and our best periods of form were when he was playing there

If we go with Cust we have zero kicking game and he is only being selected for running, Walker is a better runner and probably strengthens the backline all round if it means we can get Suli and Parker in there when fit

I always think back to Lyon as well, the general concensus was he would never be a 5/8 and he was getting bagged from pillar to post in 07, and in 08 we went back to the well and won a comp with him at 6

I mentioned it last week but nobody was keen

I looked back to last season and our best periods of form were when he was playing there

If we go with Cust we have zero kicking game and he is only being selected for running, Walker is a better runner and probably strengthens the backline all round if it means we can get Suli and Parker in there when fit

I always think back to Lyon as well, the general concensus was he would never be a 5/8 and he was getting bagged from pillar to post in 07, and in 08 we went back to the well and won a comp with him at 6
Walker is good, but he is no Killer. I do agree that I'd probably rather Walker than Cust once Parker and Suli are fit. But at the moment I'm hoping Croker is fit for this week

Fainu has a good kicking game if allowed to do it but that only helps if we play one hooker. If Croker is fit ( which seems a forlorn hope )I’d play him.If not maybe the Walker option might be next best. Either option doesn’t get us to the pointy end of the table consistently.

Its our Achilles heel I’m afraid.Until we solve it we will have really great days and very bad days, even with our stars in- not the small gap between best and worst that’s required.

Agree Cust is ahead of Elgey and like his willingness to take on line, nice dummy , plays tough etc And he has only played 3 games so he has a lot of upside.
BUT his kicking game is so far away from first grade standard right now.To be honest it’s awful and that has been the knock on him for a while apparently. The stuff he and Elgey dished up tonight is as bad as I’ve seen in first grade.

It’s a tough one because he has a lot of good points but if you ain’t got a kicking game as a half not sure you can get picked. Needs to do a lot of work in that area so I’d have Croker ahead at this stage.
Both Hasler & Toovey had no kicking game & look what they both achieved! Give Cust a chance...he definitely looks the goods!!! Needs more time in 1st grade to show his worth!

There a two potential options moving forward.

There is a chance the Dogs will release Foran and pay some of his freight. Manly could offer him 800k and the Dogs could stump up the other 200k. I know Dessie is a big fan. The Dogs have cap issues and could buy a couple of players by freeing up the 800k. I think Foz still has plenty to offer and would welcome him back with open arms.

There other option is Maloney...Penrith have cap issues and would happily let him walk. I wouldn't like to see this happen.

The under 18 team were in the raiders dressing room last night and he is a decent size already. I reckon by next season he could be too big for five eighth

Sheik, I don't think size is the issue regarding effectiveness as a five eighth, its mobility and play making.. Look at Wally Lewis, probably the best 5/8 in the game, and he was built like a forward and in fact played lock often.

A five eighth's aim is to set up the backline in a manner that will give them space to be effective. Schuster looks to have all the skills needed to be a top tier 5/8 and more. His passing game, of what I've seen is exceptional, he's got power because of his size and the speed of a centre. His defence is strong, he's one of those players who seems to have time and he's deceptive in what he intends to do.

Croker is hardly a small man and we've noticed how small men, unless they have that Johnny Gibbs evasive skill and speed are gradually vanishing from the game. Foran isn't tiny yet even he suffered from being knocked about by bigger players. What you want from a 5/8 more than anything else is to set the attack in motion. Schuster, at least at junior level is a standout in that department and that's why he's been awarded year after year with being one of the best on the rise.

Sheik, I don't think size is the issue regarding effectiveness as a five eighth, its mobility and play making.. Look at Wally Lewis, probably the best 5/8 in the game, and he was built like a forward and in fact played lock often.

A five eighth's aim is to set up the backline in a manner that will give them space to be effective. Schuster looks to have all the skills needed to be a top tier 5/8 and more. His passing game, of what I've seen is exceptional, he's got power because of his size and the speed of a centre. His defence is strong, he's one of those players who seems to have time and he's deceptive in what he intends to do.

Croker is hardly a small man and we've noticed how small men, unless they have that Johnny Gibbs evasive skill and speed are gradually vanishing from the game. Foran isn't tiny yet even he suffered from being knocked about by bigger players. What you want from a 5/8 more than anything else is to set the attack in motion. Schuster, at least at junior level is a standout in that department and that's why he's been awarded year after year with being one of the best on the rise.

I hope we can hold onto him.

There is a chance the Dogs will release Foran and pay some of his freight. Manly could offer him 800k and the Dogs could stump up the other 200k. I know Dessie is a big fan. The Dogs have cap issues and could buy a couple of players by freeing up the 800k. I think Foz still has plenty to offer and would welcome him back with open arms.

There other option is Maloney...Penrith have cap issues and would happily let him walk. I wouldn't like to see this happen.

Foran is cooked, although to what degree is a bit hard to tell given the rubbish he is surrounded by at the dogs, and I think his injuries are all degenerative and it would be madness to sign him for 800 000 and get maybe 10 games a year. I loved him as a player and in a fairytale world, would love to have him back, but he ain’t a smart purchase

Maloney is done too, may carve up ESL for a season, but would be a terrible signing for us.

I actually agree re Foz, in the games I have seen him since he came back from the latest injury he has looked more and more like the old foz at his peak with us. The million dollar question is how his body would hold up, but I would take him back in a heart beat assuming we don’t have to pay him a kings ransom. There is risk involved but he could be the missing link for us in unlocking our next premiership.

Both Hasler & Toovey had no kicking game & look what they both achieved! Give Cust a chance...he definitely looks the goods!!! Needs more time in 1st grade to show his worth!
They had a bloke by the name of Cliff Lyons wandering around outside them. As great a player as he was Tooves ended up at hooker for a reason and a lack of kicking game was one of them.Des played a few positions and lack of a kicking game was a big reason he was regarded as a great utility as opposed to a great halfback.

If Croker could play with similar consistency as he showed against the Raiders some weeks ago , he would really be an asset to this season "s side . Probably has an all round better game then the other contenders but must admit that Cust has surprised me with his acquitting quite well to the rigors of i st grade . Some shortcomings but in general has done well , has a bigger body then i thought also which has made his transition a bit easier . Surely too much doubt still with endurance and an affortability issue with Foz [ 800 k ] no way on any measure again surely .Notice that Metcalfe is still on Manly "s books for next season so seems that the club can still see some upside on his future prospects for Manly .

I personally like the idea. I think Walker would benefit from moving in one in defence, I think he can be a running 5/8 like Wighton. DCE can do the kicking. Proving the outside backs don't catch a cold, it is not a bad option. Elliot to wing and Suli into the centres with Parker. It obviously won't happen with a while with the injuries to Suli and Parker but it is a feasible option at the back end of the year.
He'd have to learn to pass backwards, he gives away so many for forward, but yes I can see the Wighton comparison

Elgey comes to a NEW club, culture, system, and his backline has consisted of players like:

Cade Cust (juniors last year)
Abbas Miski (reserve grade currently)
Moses Suli (dropped by various clubs)
Brendan Elliott (reserve grade at all clubs)
Reuben Garrick (reserve grade last year)
Jorge Taufua (shadow of former self)
Brad Parker (getting there, but not great)

Okay, he's also had 1st graders in DCE and Walker, but only rarely, and has had to change his style many times.

Talk about not giving a guy a fair go. People forget we are 6th with all these.i juries occuring, and he's been the focus point of our attack.

And people call me harsh.

We were without a single half

Elgey said no,he couldn't even keep his spot at the titans, like really he'd be in titans reggies

I don't want no scrubs, scrub is a guy who puts up a bomb for no ****ing reason when he could've probably got a try through the hands to me, being a passenger in a side with no names while the other half drives us down the field

Bring back Craig Field ffs

We have 2 better halves and Jorge is better under the high ball than he's ever been, if the centre would give him the ****ing ball from time to time he'd do a lot better

Only big hitter in the team
Averaging to my estimation 5 metres post contact
Can finally catch a bomb, dunno how shadowy that is tbh

Is it just me or is Croker getting a little overrated here by some?

I like the kid, I thought he was solid last year before injury, then against Canberra he started with a few errors but came home strong with a couple of tries.....A good performance but not best on the field.

For mine he is right in the mix with Cust and Elgey, I'd say his nose is slightly in front but I think Cust has a higher ceiling and may be worth a shot.

Also I hear a lot about Cust being a rookie as opposed to Croker.......pretty sure Croker has played 12 games and Cust 3.

This is really not intended to bag Croker, I like him, think he is a solid player, but like most things on here people seem to have no middle ground and you are either a star or a bum and after a couple of tries against the Raiders Croker is now a star..........................I'd say jury is still out

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10