Cust will tip Elgey to partner DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Nordburg

First Grader
I'd take Cust over LG any day.....but I'd have Croker before either of them.

I'll be the first to admit that 12 months ago I wouldn't have said that about Croker.

Just remember.....Cust may have had a decent 5 minutes, but the other 75 he was garbage. Not as garbage as LG, but bad enough. And yes I do know its only his 3rd game, but right now to me both are only there because DCE and Croker aren't.
I have no idea what game Andrew Johns was watching last night when he said Cust was Manly’s best.Obviously showing his bias by the fact Cust lived with his brother for a while

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I think this battle of the halves has a few more scurmishes to be played out before a clear winner is announced ... I have stated earlier that given we will have DCE for a few years yet .... the eventual winner will be the one that compliments DCE the best at 5/8 .. and at the moment .... that is still undecided ...

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Give him Tommy and DCE, Walks is now back...Garrick is fine. Hey, even Parker is bordering okay now.

He'll be really good.

Although I do have a great feeling about Croker.

I don't really want to start anything here.....but sometimes I get the feeling that you say things just for the sake of creating arguments in here.

LG is crap. He was crap at the Tits and has been crap here. The only reason he has played 11 out of 12 first grade games this year is because he was given first crack at being DCE's halves partner, and then after he was dropped for not being up to standard, both Croker and DCE got injured which meant he got a reprieve because we needed a halfback.

I hope this never happens, but if DCE got a season ending injury in Origin, I'd rather Des used Croker and Cust as our halves before even considering LG. Hell, I'd even go so far as to have Parker and Suli in the centres when they return and play Walker in the halves before having to put up with more of the crap that LG delivers.....and I don't think Walker should be anywhere near the halves again.

There was one point last night in the second half where we were actually attacking the Panthers line. LG got the ball on the 5th only 10 metres out and instead of kicking to the in-goal.....he passed it off to Garrick who had nowhere to go and got buried resulting in a turnover. He didn't want to take on the line himself and obviously didn't want to kick it, so he passes it off like he's passing the buck.

Have a read of what @Sue said on the first page of this thread about LG. Its 100% correct.

With Cherry and Croker out right now, LG has had the perfect opportunity to put his hand up and say "I'm the Man" to Des, his team mates and to us fans. He hasn't come close to doing that, not even against the Sharks when he was actually shown up by a first game rookie (Cust).

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Let me put it this way.....

After watching him run around for Manly this year I can understand why Tits fans weren't happy that DCE backflipped to stay at Manly because it meant they had to put up with LG for 4 years.

A halfback in his 5th year of first grade should be showing a hell of a lot more than putting up medium height midfield bombs that put the opposition under no pressure whatsoever when his side is 15-0 down 70 minutes into an 80 minute game. Cust was also crap for the most part last night, but at least he never gave up out there. At least he was willing to take the line on and have a go.

Last edited:

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Cust would be the bottom of all my options at 6, his kicking game is worse then Elgey’s and his passing game hasn’t been shown yet either. He has shown a nice running game, so I could only have him in the 14 shirt if one of the hookers got injured at the moment

Is easy to look at Custs flashy plays in the final 10mins and say he is the man, but in some very major aspects of the game he is not close to first grade standard at the moment but can hone that in the grade below and come back better

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Agree Cust is ahead of Elgey and like his willingness to take on line, nice dummy , plays tough etc And he has only played 3 games so he has a lot of upside.
BUT his kicking game is so far away from first grade standard right now.To be honest it’s awful and that has been the knock on him for a while apparently. The stuff he and Elgey dished up tonight is as bad as I’ve seen in first grade.

It’s a tough one because he has a lot of good points but if you ain’t got a kicking game as a half not sure you can get picked. Needs to do a lot of work in that area so I’d have Croker ahead at this stage.
Brilliant post!

100% true.

Cust has always had a dubious kicking game and you are correct that when playing in the halves, you need one. It can be masked somewhat by DCE but sooner or later, Cust will need to stand on his own two feet.

Croker has a good kicking game and composure. I hope he gets the nod when fit.

ricardo

Bencher
Croker, Elegy, Hodko were just a bridge to get Cust playing ... now he's playing just let him play. Will be interesting to see him n DCE run round next week, could be the dawn of something epic

Ryan

Journey Man
I don't really want to start anything here.....but sometimes I get the feeling that you say things just for the sake of creating arguments in here.

LG is crap. He was crap at the Tits and has been crap here. The only reason he has played 11 out of 12 first grade games this year is because he was given first crack at being DCE's halves partner, and then after he was dropped for not being up to standard, both Croker and DCE got injured which meant he got a reprieve because we needed a halfback.

I hope this never happens, but if DCE got a season ending injury in Origin, I'd rather Des used Croker and Cust as our halves before even considering LG. Hell, I'd even go so far as to have Parker and Suli in the centres when they return and play Walker in the halves before having to put up with more of the crap that LG delivers.....and I don't think Walker should be anywhere near the halves again.

There was one point last night in the second half where we were actually attacking the Panthers line. LG got the ball on the 5th only 10 metres out and instead of kicking to the in-goal.....he passed it off to Garrick who had nowhere to go and got buried resulting in a turnover. He didn't want to take on the line himself and obviously didn't want to kick it, so he passes it off like he's passing the buck.

Have a read of what @Sue said on the first page of this thread about LG. Its 100% correct.

With Cherry and Croker out right now, LG has had the perfect opportunity to put his hand up and say "I'm the Man" to Des, his team mates and to us fans. He hasn't come close to doing that, not even against the Sharks when he was actually shown up by a first game rookie (Cust).

Jesus , I support Walker. Get hammered. Support Elgey. Get hammered. Support Brown. Get hammered. Support Lussick. Get hammered. Critique Suli. Get hammered. Critique Boyle. Get hammered. Support Barrett. Get hammered.

Etc, etc, etc. Y'all just a bunch of bullies. Hahaha.

It's actually bordering funny. The numbnuts here that froth at the mouth if someone dares to disagree with them, rather than just debate the topic at hand.

Like I've said numerous times, guys like Woodsie, Bazeagle, and many others will be driven away by the mob here, just like Darren, Byso, Matabele and many others. Then it'll be as boring af, vanilla, don't dare buck the gangs opinion forum. Like the official forum used to be that was run by the bogans back then. Thankfully the mods here are much better.

Andyvb88

Reserve Grader
I think Cust could develop into a ball playing back rower, similar to Glenn Stewart, his defence is good and he doesn’t mind taking on the line

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
I thought Cust bounced back well in the second half. As another poster mentioned, it would have been easy for him to drop his head but he didn't. He is only three games into his NRL career - some posters are a bit harsh on him I feel. There is no doubt his kicking game is the area that he needs the most work on. He is much better than most rookie halves in defense, he has a quality running game, is active, confident and seems to be a good talker - all qualities needed for a half. His kicking game was below average and he seems to struggle for distance; however, these things can be developed. Crocker showed very little in terms of a kicking game last year - in fact, it was his greatest weakness, yet in the brief appearance he made this year he seemed to have improved in this area - who is to say Cust cannot do the same?

At this stage it is clear that Elgey is not the man we need in the halves. As I mentioned after the game (as did many), if DCE plays that game, we would have won. I also wanted to see more out of Api in that first half, taking control as the more experienced player in the spine. When Api is in a mood and decides to run, he is very dangerous, I would have loved to see more of that from him.

I don't think the Panthers handle an up tempo game with running halves and hookers keeping them on their toes through the ruck - we didn't make the most of exploiting that weakness.

On a side note; Fisher Harris is a grub and looked at where he aimed his knee - he knew exactly what he was doing to Fainu.

NYEagle

Bencher
I don’t care if either Crocker or cust partner DCE ! As long as it’s not Elgey !!!!

This game showed how important DCE is to manly I really really hope he comes out injury free through origin we need him ASAP
Elgeys kicking game was downright horrible even when there was no pressure on him.

Both Cust and Croker are miles ahead in that department already,

NYEagle

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Jesus , I support Walker. Get hammered. Support Elgey. Get hammered. Support Brown. Get hammered. Support Lussick. Get hammered. Critique Suli. Get hammered. Critique Boyle. Get hammered. Support Barrett. Get hammered.

Etc, etc, etc. Y'all just a bunch of bullies. Hahaha.

It's actually bordering funny. The numbnuts here that froth at the mouth if someone dares to disagree with them, rather than just debate the topic at hand.

Like I've said numerous times, guys like Woodsie, Bazeagle, and many others will be driven away by the mob here, just like Darren, Byso, Matabele and many others. Then it'll be as boring af, vanilla, don't dare buck the gangs opinion forum. Like the official forum used to be that was run by the bogans back then. Thankfully the mods here are much better.

You’re a good man Ryan, been debating with you for over 15 years now and only had 1 serious crack at each other from memory, you are entertaining and do love to hammer a point home lol

On your man Boyle, how do you think he would go on the wing ? ;)

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Like I've said numerous times, guys like Woodsie, Bazeagle, and many others will be driven away by the mob here

No chance ... I come from a discipline that values facts above concensus .....

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
I suspect next year we wont be talking about Elgey, Croker or Cust. Unless I'm a bad judge, and I've heard Des has been giving this kid some extra training and thinks highly of him, Schuster may well be the answer we've needed since Foran left.

The under 18 team were in the raiders dressing room last night and he is a decent size already. I reckon by next season he could be too big for five eighth

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13