Daly bread: Sea Eagles in a bind over star's cut- price contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
torana355 said:
1947 said:
bones said:
Today's RLW has a full page story on DCE and how his manager asked for a release out of the final year of his contract (2013) because he is on less than some Toyota Cup players.

I thought that had been rectified by the club, as this was discussed last October.
I do not want to appear negative or stressed but the club are moving too slow with him, and I fear, as do others here that he may walk, due to tardiness on behalf of the club. I will be sooo mad if that becomes the case.

This is how i feel also, fans of other clubs are reading the article on DCE in RLW thinking we are run by absolute morons. Give DCE what he is worth and quit rooting around!!!
RLW is just another crap piece of paper talk .I am sure our club is doing all it can to keep our players .

Time is on our side here. I don't think he is going to rush into anything and sign with another club this early.

The rumours are going around again today about Brett going to the Dragons. If this happens, suddenly we have all this extra money around and we can offer him the world, including a significant increase next year.

I have faith in the board. I cannot remember a player leaving Manly to go to another club that we wanted to keep, with the exception of Will Hopoate, in a VERY long time.

mmmdl said:
Time is on our side here. I don't think he is going to rush into anything and sign with another club this early.

The rumours are going around again today about Brett going to the Dragons. If this happens, suddenly we have all this extra money around and we can offer him the world, including a significant increase next year.

I have faith in the board. I cannot remember a player leaving Manly to go to another club that we wanted to keep, with the exception of Will Hopoate, in a VERY long time.
Tasi?

Hargraves?

Even Cannings, i mean he was rubbish but we wanted to keep him at the time

Or what about Mal Kaufusi, Manly officials where spewing when the roosters signed him off the plane

Not saying we are missing these guys but at the time we didnt want to lose them

mmmdl said:

I hear a lot of supporters say that, but it really is garbage. We wanted to keep JWH, Lami Tasi, Hodkinson but they were just offered more than we could afford.

Disco said:
mmmdl said:

Tasi?

Hargraves?

Even Cannings, i mean he was rubbish but we wanted to keep him at the time

Or what about Mal Kaufusi, Manly officials where spewing when the roosters signed him off the plane

Not saying we are missing these guys but at the time we didnt want to lose them
Mate we lost Cannings but we did keep King , We lost Kaufusi but we did keep Watmough. We are the Mighty Sea Eagles, we will always lose some feathers but we will always keep our wings and winning culture and fly high above the rest !!!

Masked Eagle said:
mmmdl said:

I hear a lot of supporters say that, but it really is garbage. We wanted to keep JWH, Lami Tasi, Hodkinson but they were just offered more than we could afford.

OK then, I'll rephrase it..........I haven't seen any top quality players leave Manly to go somewhere else for a long time. I've seen the Kites/Orfords/Kennedys/Bells come TO Manly, but not leave and go elsewhere.

Masked Eagle said:
mmmdl said:

And it has nothing to do with poor management by the club. It is simply the price clubs pay for success. Winning in 2008 meant most of the team were entitled to upgraded contracts and that would force other players out, even if we did want to keep them. It is happening again now after winning last year. Players we want to keep will go so that those that are entitled to upgrades will receive them.

I'll going to put up another ominous thing up here Brett Finch supposedly is joining the Rabbitohs next year.
While there may be celebrations that DCE won't kill his career at Souths. Wigan will have plenty of the folding stuff to throw around and Mal has basically said that Cronk's got first dibs on the at the Qld halfback spot. So he might shoot of to England for a bit.

Manly currently have a situation where our 3 halves (6 & 7) are probably are paid less than $400k in total. I bet you can’t find another club where their 3 halves are paid less than $700k. There was therefore always a potential this situation was always going to bubble. Foran and DCE have developed now the market value for our three halves is $1.2M which now means ther cost for our halves would be far in excess of what any other club pays for their halves.

That’s why there isn’t any other club where they have 2 halves who are both paid more than $400k each. The cap can’t support it. Imagine the situation if Hopa had of signed.

We pay them 600-700 each and suck it up. Halves win comps. They already have. If that means others have to go then that's how it is.

I can see us dicking around here and losing one or both of them.

wizball1973 said:

This is my biggest concern, i trust Perry and co will make the right decision but they need to come to a decision as quick as possible with other clubs throwing big $$$ around. I hope we see a deal done for both of them in the next few weeks so we can enjoy the footy.

torana355 said:
wizball1973 said:

This is my biggest concern, i trust Perry and co will make the right decision but they need to come to a decision as quick as possible with other clubs throwing big $$$ around. I hope we see a deal done for both of them in the next few weeks so we can enjoy the footy.

Yes, i am sure they will make the correct decision too. Would hate the job. Imagine sifting through our team and deciding who to let go.

wizball1973 said:
We pay them 600-700 each and suck it up. Halves win comps. They already have. If that means others have to go then that's how it is.

Doesnt matter how good your halves are if your forwards are getting smashed.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
wizball1973 said:

Doesnt matter how good your halves are if your forwards are getting smashed.

So you are suggesting we let DCE (good halfbacks are rare) go so we can keep our aging forwards? We have young forwards coming though that will get the job done.

I thought the club announced that it was hopefull of signing DCE and Foran to contract extensions before the season was underway. What happened?

lsz said:
I am sure it is as simple as giving him more money

Thank goodness. It is a little known fact that our pens stubbornly run out of ink just at the time of contract signing if there are just too many complicated clauses to write into them.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6