Daly ripe for picking at right price: Orr

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If only there were more players like Alan Tongue. Loyal, smart and astute enough to not require the services of a vampire, sorry, player agent. He arranged and signed all his contracts with Canberra. In fact probably on little more than 'handshake' agreements.

Just like 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Unfortunately many of today's players would be flat out reading their own signature block. If they knew what one was. No wonder you wind up with situations like the recent Moltzen saga. And no wonder we are stuck with the Gavin Orr's of this world.

Moondog said:
Is it just me or is anybody else sick of hearing that Rugby League is a business these days? I used to like it a lot better when it was a game.

Yeah, this is one of my (many) pet hates as well.
If rugby league was a business, surely somebody other than the good folk at News Limited would have figured out a way to make money out of it by now.
It sure as hell isn't a business for the fans, and this is a fans' forum, after all. I've said it before, but nobody devotes their leisure time to a business. You don't love and support a business and encourage your children to love it, too. You love a club, its players and traditions. You care what happens to it because what affects it also affects you.
Usually, fans are loyal to a fault. Once you've picked your team, you stick with it, through thick and thin. That's why we expect a little bit of loyalty and integrity in return. By peddling the bull**** line that rugby league is "a business", they're basically telling us we have no right to expect this anymore.

Ceagle said:
The club will only give him an upgrade if he extends his contract as well.

That is the only reason why you offer a player an upgrade.

how it works is
If Daly is on $135K for 2012. then Manly upgrade and make anew contract.

EG:
2012-2013-2014 for $335K- 350K- $350K = $1.035m

DOGS then to match it will have to offer

2013-2014 $450k & $450k just to equal the same amount he would earn for 2012-14.

I'm just about over rugby league in general, the enjoyment has been taken away from fans. I'm sick of hearing it's a business because it's not, some businesses have loyal employees who will take less money to stay.

Nowadays it's all about the money, greed and everyone trying to bleed it dry while the fans have to pay more and more each year.

How much is enough for these players? 200k,300k,400k or more? You can't tell me that the players couldn't live comfortably with that sort of cash. The old story will be that they've only got a limited time of about 10 to 15 years max and want to look after their family, it's BS. They're primary concern is themselves, if players came out and told the truth I bet most are doing it for the most amount of cash they can get.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Ceagle said:

how it works is

EG:

2013-2014 $450k & $450k just to equal the same amount he would earn for 2012-14.

Not really because if any club offered 350k a year thats 1050 for 3 years. It would beat that contract.

thedogs88 said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Ceagle said:

how it works is

EG:

Not really because if any club offered 350k a year thats 1050 for 3 years. It would beat that contract.

NO - you dont understand. They cant offer Daly anything for 2012. He is contracted to Manly. If Daley wants to leave Manly in 2013 he has to stay an play for $135k and therefore go backwards by $200k for 2012

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
thedogs88 said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Ceagle said:

how it works is

EG:

NO - you dont understand. They cant offer Daly anything for 2012. He is contracted to Manly. If Daley wants to leave Manly in 2013 he has to stay an play for $135k and therefore go backwards by $200k for 2012

I see what your saying but however your missing my point. If a club offers him a better deal for the years he plays i'm sure he will do what he thinks is best for him.Also if he plays like that in 2012 he will know he can attract alot more then 330k a year, especially if the cap goes up! Not to mention personal emotions get involved. If they try and shaft him into a corner he will come out dirty.

I expect and HOPE dce stays at manly. Don't wish you guys to be picked apart like you have been it sucks for any club.

the way i see it the average joe is on 50,000 if hes lucky and if they get 400,000 a year well thats 8 years of an average joe's wages to make up for the 15 year life span. Its all lies, its just about coin and always has been. Why do you think families fall out over a dead persons WILL its because alot of people are fundamentaly greedy bastards. Even Noel Cleal can be bought by a club who shafted his own son.

conanu said:
the way i see it the average joe is on 50,000 if hes lucky and if they get 400,000 a year well thats 8 years of an average joe's wages to make up for the 15 year life span. Its all lies, its just about coin and always has been. Why do you think families fall out over a dead persons WILL its because alot of people are fundamentaly greedy bastards. Even Noel Cleal can be bought by a club who shafted his own son.

To be completely honest Kane wasn't shafted by the club as such it was the sponsors, none the less the people who shafted Kane be it sponsors or club are long gone.

Dogs88 will go back to your own clubs site i dont like like your condecending tone. Its like your offering your sympathy to us we are the premiers you are bottom feeders its that simple really. You bought a coach and his mate thats all now go and talk to your own buddies about what could would should happen for you in 2 years time.

I'm a huge DCE fan and believe over the next season or two he will become the most sought after player in the NRL.
But as an aside: have you noticed the length of his neck? He has a giraffe neck, and his sloping shoulders exaggerate it. Take a look at photos on the MWSE website.
Not that there is anything wrong with a long neck!

conanu said:
Dogs88 will go back to your own clubs site i dont like like your condecending tone. Its like your offering your sympathy to us we are the premiers you are bottom feeders its that simple really. You bought a coach and his mate thats all now go and talk to your own buddies about what could would should happen for you in 2 years time.
We dont need any sympathy from any one as The Mighty Sea Eagles and Premiers are living in Glory , and all the rest of the teams like the dogs are living in hope and wet dreams.

conanu said:

Noel will be there next year from what i understand.

Des is still a big shot too.

However if he doesn't im sure he will get some good things from the players he has brought through :)

As for your bottom feeders mate, your clubs merged. It's on the verge of being broke again and the board is a disaster. I don't like to say it because some people on here are realistic and reasonable. Tossers like you clearly need reminding.

I'd say every player is ripe for the picking at the right price. 300+ gamers for the one club are the exception not the norm.

Wasn't Daly negotiating an upgrade and extension to his existing contract before he left for England?

Surely they had enough time to sort through a few things and at least put an upgraded offer to Daly. He does deserve an upgrade as he is playing more than a $135,000 player.

I can understand Penn wanting him to only receive his upgrade if he signs the extension.......if that's what he his asking.

If Penn can't get Daly across the line, i will be very disappointed. He couldn't get Des to sign during the year (squabbling over $50,000) so i am a bit worried if it's him negotiating this contract.

It's usually the COO doing the contracts but Penn seems to be the one to do ours.

C'mon Penn, get cracking and keep Cherry-Evans and Foran.

thedogs88 said:
conanu said:

Noel will be there next year from what i understand.

Des is still a big shot too.

However if he doesn't im sure he will get some good things from the players he has brought through :)

As for your bottom feeders mate, your clubs merged. It's on the verge of being broke again and the board is a disaster. I don't like to say it because some people on here are realistic and reasonable. Tossers like you clearly need reminding.

And unlike some with money, we win Premierships.

thedogs88 said:

Our clubs merged? Who do you think we are? The Northern Eagles? Manly have been back as Manly since 2003. They would have been back as Manly in 2002 but they were forced to compete for that year by the NRL. The merger with Norths only lasted for 2 years.

What exactly is a contract these days? Players rarely stick to them, as do coaches. They chop and change clubs when they seem fit.

Heck just look at the Tim Moltzen ballsup between Dragons and Tigers for a perfect example of how little a contract means.

It's something the NRL need to look into.

Bulldogs would be eyeing off DCE and Foran if there are whispers of them in the open market, however fair ball. DCE developed at Manly and therefore should stay there. There should be concessions (say 50% of their contract counts towards salary cap) for players a club has brought up from Toyota Cup to first grade.

MrInvisible said:
What exactly is a contract these days? Players rarely stick to them, as do coaches. They chop and change clubs when they seem fit.

Heck just look at the Tim Moltzen ballsup between Dragons and Tigers for a perfect example of how little a contract means.

It's something the NRL need to look into.

Bulldogs would be eyeing off DCE and Foran if there are whispers of them in the open market, however fair ball. DCE developed at Manly and therefore should stay there. There should be concessions (say 50% of their contract counts towards salary cap) for players a club has brought up from Toyota Cup to first grade.

* another one who didn't get the memo *

I think its pretty poor that the mods think trolls are nothing but abuse given to these lowlives is somehow worse

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6