Darcy injured in first hit up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Darcy was disappointing last year. He promised so much in 2016 and I held high hopes that he had turned the corner and was going to become a consistent contributor at a high quality level. Didn't happen unfortunately, so I'm not getting caught up in hope again this year.

Only like mini skirts when they don't back up your argument... There is nothing to hide in stats - they are facts. And fact is we won more when we didn't play. When he started we lost more than won. When he came off the bench we lost more than won.
You named 2 games. One because we had a good win. The other because Darcy threw a punch or 2. Unfortunately he played 14 last year so your sample size for his good deeds (playing in a winning team and punching an opposition player while getting flogged) is a little misleading....but hey don't let me ruin your Darcathon.

Regardless, we won more games when Darcy didn't play. I don't see him being at all critical to our success. You do. Agree to disagree.
You make a good point . I think stats are like mini skirts as they can expose a player just like mini skirts can expose a bit of ass.
Darcy is a valuable player to have on his day but those good days have been inconsistent through injuries , poor form and Brain snaps . This year was the year that he was to stand up and prove his worth as a leader and the inconsistency occurred once again with another injury .
I like Darcy and had high hopes in him and I hope he can believe in his own ability and finally become the dominant player we all hope he can be.

Only like mini skirts when they don't back up your argument... There is nothing to hide in stats - they are facts. And fact is we won more when we didn't play. When he started we lost more than won. When he came off the bench we lost more than won.
You named 2 games. One because we had a good win. The other because Darcy threw a punch or 2. Unfortunately he played 14 last year so your sample size for his good deeds (playing in a winning team and punching an opposition player while getting flogged) is a little misleading....but hey don't let me ruin your Darcathon.

Regardless, we won more games when Darcy didn't play. I don't see him being at all critical to our success. You do. Agree to disagree.

I see him as critical to our forward pack operating at a higher level, wouldn't ever try and state a case that a solitary front rower is the sole impact on a seasons win/loss ratio, personally I find that ridiculous. That stats also don't show which other players were in and out and strength of opposition etc

I'm sure that we could dig up stats that suggest maybe someone like a fringe player like Matt Wright has a better winning percentage than Tom at fullback, that stat doesn't make it a fact that the team is better off with Tom out or any other example we could conjure up

Last edited:

Any half-arsed high school mathematician will tell you that any "football" stat is meaningless without pages of explanatory notes. They are simply interesting pieces of information ... as a quantitative guide they can be useful, however as a qualitative guide they are limited.

One game cannot be compared to another game unless it was played against exactly the same opposition at the same time of day at the same location with the same refs with the same weather conditions with exactly the same team-mates inter-changed at exactly the same time with the same penalty count etc etc ad nauseum .......

It is a "stat" that we won when Kapow was suspended ..... so is it then a fact that we go better when he is suspended .......

I don't think you could but I'd love to see it...

Fact is that results don't back up your argument. He averages poor tackle numbers for any forward and can't average over 10m per run.

As I said mate, agree to disagree. I don't think he is "critical to our pack operating at a higher level" you do....we simply would miss him too much when he's not there if we did but with a 8-4 win ratio when he isn't... I think we operate at a high enough level... Just my opinion though.

Agree to disagree.

Batty old mate .... we are not saying he has played well the past 2 years .... in fact we have conceded that he has played below his capabilities ... it is just that given the injury disrupted preseasons and re-injuries we believe there were mitigating factors.

We certainly haven't seen the best from him .... if we do it will take our pack to a higher level .... that, and only that is my point.

And good luck to you Darcy .... give him another one ......

Oh and interestingly, kiwi has used the examples of a punch up and a first set of 6 in a round 26 game against the Panthers as his sample size for Darcy's "crucial" forward pack dominance .... surely that doesn't meet your requirements...?
Funnily enough it does .... because it was the emotional response, either positive or negative, that resulted from the incident that is just one of the many factors not recorded by the interesting bits of info called "footy stats" .....

PSS (If you go to the game day thread of that game I think you will find my post saying "give him another one Darcy!!!!)

Wow. So you are happy to judge a player on 2 emotive responses during a season.
I'm more of a statistical geek who looks over a whole season (or 7yr career) and judges a player based on that.

But hey, each to their own.

Looks like he only sprained his ankle so you will get some more emotinal reactions from our crucial starting prop in the not too distant future.

No ... you stretched my point a little too far with that conclusion ....

Wow. So you are happy to judge a player on 2 emotive responses during a season.
I'm more of a statistical geek who looks over a whole season (or 7yr career) and judges a player based on that.

But hey, each to their own.

Looks like he only sprained his ankle so you will get some more emotinal reactions from our crucial starting prop in the not too distant future.

Over the Lussick chat, but are you a cricket man by any chance ?

If so, would you rate Voges as the 4th best Australian batsman of all time ?

Ok so I thought Id check the stats on how "crucial" to our side Lussick is when starting.

Lussick started 5 times in 2017 for 2 wins and 3 losses.
Lussick came off the bench 9 times for 4 wins and 5 losses.
When Lussick didn't play we won 8 games and lost 4.

Its funny you mentioned the Panthers as the game where he dominated and the rest of the team followed because we played the Panthers 3 times last season - Darcy started in all 3 and we lost 2 of those games...

Also interesting you mention the DeBelin "put a few on his chin"... thats the game we got absolutely pumped right?... So how did that work for the team?

I get that the bloke plays with his heart on his sleeve and thats why he is so noticeable but I don't for one second believe he is "crucial" to our success.... in fact, based on last years stats, we were clearly more successful when he wasn't in the starting 17. Read into that what you want.
Wow... Top marks for going the extra step and researching! Now get back to work...

Hey you guys should look on the positive side a little more often. At least he captained the side for a minute or so AND he did do a hit up AND he is out injured for 4-6 weeks and not suspended for 4-6 weeks!!

I think a strong season by Lussick will be very important to the team's overall performance.
I don't really have any stats to back this up (other than 3 out of 5 Silvertails hold this view) ;)
I think at his best he brings something, not exactly intangible, maybe a mix of aggro and Manly identity, which is a good mix to have up front.

@Batty an interesting article ...

There?s a common saying that goes ?statistics are like a bikini ? they show everything but the important bits?. Other people say that ?statistics mean nothing?, and further still, there are some who believe that you can analyse a game of rugby league by looking at a sheet of paper. This essay will investigate the use of player statistics in rugby league, how much can be inferred about a player from his statistics.

Statistics are raw information, so one benefit they have in terms of analysis is that they are unbiased, unlike casual observation. There are countless ways of interpreting statistics, which means it is impossible to know everything about a player through statistics. It is reasonable to imagine a brilliant halfback failing to get any try assists because of a weak forward pack, and outside backs who are incapable of holding onto a ball. It is in this process of interpretation of statistics that the art lies, yet an ordinary halfback may get better statistics simply due to better players surrounding him. For example, debate is heated regarding Brett Finch, who led the NRL in 2004 in try assists and line break assists. Do these statistics mean that he was the better halfback than more glorified halves such as Matt Orford and Craig Gower?

Imagine two lots of statistics, taken from one game. One lot belongs to player C, and consists of plenty of metres gained, offloads and try assists, and the other, belonging to player D, really poor, with very low quantities in these areas. It still remains possible that player C is a mediocre player who was part of a top quality side, whereas player D was in a poor side, and was targeted by the opposition defence. It is very plausible that if player D was given the same opportunities as the player C, would have equalled or even bettered his performance. We see this often in the NRL, when players from good teams dominate selection for representative teams. Given the same opportunities, it is reasonable to think that players of lower teams would be able to equal or better the performance of some of these representative players.

Statistics are made in such a way that they can hold very little ambiguity, for example, one might argue that a try was scored due to poor defence, and another might argue that the try was scored due to intelligent attack, however neither could argue the fact that a try was scored. There may be disagreement as to whether a try was created by the fullback who charged onto a short ball, or the halfback who gave the short ball and drew two defenders, but it can not be disagreed that the halfback receives a try assist, as this is the definition of a try assist: to give the final pass before a try is scored, whether or not is was a bad pass, a fluke pass or a brilliant pass. The try assist statistic simply does not give any information as to which of the two, the try assister or the try scorer, was more responsible for the try being scored. It does give out a clue, though, and this is the case with many statistics. For example, passes or kicks which are put through to lead to a try have to be of a minimum standard in order for a try to be scored, for example, a kick which goes out on the full is no use to any winger, no matter how good at catching they are. This tells us that the try assister possesses that minimum standard of ability ? but is this all it tells us?

It is still unknown exactly how much skill the halfback possesses, as the try assist statistic represents quantity only, not quality. The next step in this situation is not to disregard statistics altogether as meaningless, but rather to look at other related statistics, in order to get more clues. The process of looking at the whole picture is very important in interpretation of statistics, and it is when statistics are studied in isolation that they become misleading.

Given all this room for interpretation, it is not surprising that opinions regarding individual players vary so highly. Statistics don?t say nothing, but they don?t say everything, either. More often than not, the art lies in the interpretation of statistics, not the statistics themselves

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10