DCE subtle dig at player managers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jay Eagle

Reserve Grader
So I see DCE had a subtle dig at player managers and how its often forgotten when it comes to players and a club.

We always look at the club or the player when a player moves on BUT DCE made it pretty clear that there is a third party which actually has more to do with the whole process and they hold the power, they are often overlooked.. The MANAGER.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to younger player and how they are basically "shipped" off to another club without the club that brought them through the juniors having much say in it.
So they are now looking at introducing a 10 day cooling off period or last right of approach where the CLUB has 10 days to convince the player to stay ( ALA- the Back flip clause that was canned after DCE back flipped).

But even with this DCE mentions that at the end the player goes where the manager wants them to go and he feels there needs to be better governance around player managers. ( I'm guessing this may have a bit to do with a few of our junior pathways players being "shipped" out in the last 2 season)

it also goes to show that the club and the players feel the impact as well and hopefully this should shut up a few of the negative posters on here who constantly bang on about the clubs management not retaining certain players blah blah.

In short they have no option!

( I'm guessing this may have a bit to do with a few of our junior pathways players being "shipped" out in the last 2 season)
Maybe those brought it to mind, but the issue has been a glaring one for quite a while. A player manager must always operate in the best interests of their client, a player. But as soon as the manager acts for several players then conflict of interest is almost impossible to avoid, and the manager, being human, will often try to manipulate that for their own benefit. Be curious to know how they deal with this in some of the big overseas sports.

Yep. The players need more help in evaluating the advice/direction their manager gives.
I understand why a player - especially a young and naive one - needs guidance, but do they need a permanent manager? Why can a manager lock up a player for years?
Why isn't there an NRL-sanctioned 'freelance' manager system which a player can use on a needs basis, such as when he is looking to sign his first deal with a club; when it is time to re-negotiate a contract; when another club has expressed interest in him and he needs management help; when he is looking for promotional work?
If the NRL established a group of independent managers prepare to act in a freelance capacity on one-off assignments then the power balance would shift to the players. I'm sure clubs would be happy with such an arrangement.
This idea is for those players who want to have a greater say in their careers, knowing that the freelance manager has the best interest of the player at heart rather than a grab for more fees. It doesn't stop a player for employing a full time manager, should they prefer.

Yep. The players need more help in evaluating the advice/direction their manager gives.
I understand why a player - especially a young and naive one - needs guidance, but do they need a permanent manager? Why can a manager lock up a player for years?
Why isn't there an NRL-sanctioned 'freelance' manager system which a player can use on a needs basis, such as when he is looking to sign his first deal with a club; when it is time to re-negotiate a contract; when another club has expressed interest in him and he needs management help; when he is looking for promotional work?
If the NRL established a group of independent managers prepare to act in a freelance capacity on one-off assignments then the power balance would shift to the players. I'm sure clubs would be happy with such an arrangement.
This idea is for those players who want to have a greater say in their careers, knowing that the freelance manager has the best interest of the player at heart rather than a grab for more fees. It doesn't stop a player for employing a full time manager, should they prefer.
Love the idea of independent career advisors. These players need someone to offer professional advice that doesn't have a conflict of interests. Would be money well spent by the RLPA/NRL.

I don't want to sound negative, but didn't DCE's massive contract upgrade demands while already under tenure create all that original instability within the club with Matai, Choc, Gift and others?

This was because it was an unwritten rule that you'd take unders to stay together , because, and these were Chocs words, the players time would come, when it come to monetary reward...

Don't get me wrong here, Iv'e been around many player/managers and they have a job to do which is to look after the player.
Some may do things unethically, while others are very ethical and I will add, 1 of my best mates is a manager and looks after a few Manly boys and he is 100% a genuine straight shooter.
Just something on this, I have been with him in person with the phone running hot and there have been deals cut involving clubs, players and manager.....obviously I don't share much on here about this stuff, as most would understand....the players may say they simply "put it in the hands of the manager" but the calls sound a little different in relation to players expectations and there is far more to player contracts than the manager playing games, but no doubt they have a responsibility to look after their players.
There are many factors that push price.
As an example, a few seasons ago we were short of quality halves in the NRL and the prices jumped astoundingly due to stock on the shelf....also a team may be struggling in a particular position say a centre.....John Smith may be worth $350,000 - $400,000, but the team will pay a Premium to fill a void and offer $550,000 as to them it is worth it while everyone else calls out "Crazy"
Struggling teams such as the "Dirty Dogs" in recent years have often paid a premium of 25% - 50% extra to lure players over, as this is the "only way" they can add quality players.
How they stay under whilst doing this is anyones guess, maybe due to the fact the side still lacks backbone and is a bottom side keeps eyes closed.

Don't get me wrong here, Iv'e been around many player/managers and they have a job to do which is to look after the player.
Some may do things unethically, while others are very ethical and I will add, 1 of my best mates is a manager and looks after a few Manly boys and he is 100% a genuine straight shooter.
Just something on this, I have been with him in person with the phone running hot and there have been deals cut involving clubs, players and manager.....obviously I don't share much on here about this stuff, as most would understand....the players may say they simply "put it in the hands of the manager" but the calls sound a little different in relation to players expectations and there is far more to player contracts than the manager playing games, but no doubt they have a responsibility to look after their players.
There are many factors that push price.
As an example, a few seasons ago we were short of quality halves in the NRL and the prices jumped astoundingly due to stock on the shelf....also a team may be struggling in a particular position say a centre.....John Smith may be worth $350,000 - $400,000, but the team will pay a Premium to fill a void and offer $550,000 as to them it is worth it while everyone else calls out "Crazy"
Struggling teams such as the "Dirty Dogs" in recent years have often paid a premium of 25% - 50% extra to lure players over, as this is the "only way" they can add quality players.
How they stay under whilst doing this is anyones guess, maybe due to the fact the side still lacks backbone and is a bottom side keeps eyes closed.
You obviously know a lot more about this subject than me. But I've been wondering, what qualifications does a manager need? Do they have to obtain a business degree, an accounting degree, welfare checks? How do they develop their negotiation skills, knowledge of the media, PR etc? How do they get accredited? Do they need to pass exams set by the NRL?
Apart from a rudimentary knowledge of RL, it would seem an easy job, or am I being naive?

Hey "The Who" hope ya well mate 👍
My mate was actually a policemen and worked with me before at Cronulla leagues when every staff was linked as a player through grades at some stage.....
Had Greeny, Barnett, ET, lang, long, Richardson, Triester and my good mate big Adam Ritson
I only played 1 game with him at Shark park which was a keno cup charity game....he then went on to play for Brisbane Easts, Toowoomba clydsales when they won the Qld cup and then played a few games for South's at NRL level
To be honest he is sharp on the banter and a smart social bloke, but not sure his study credentials mate....more a knockabout bloke but very trusted by those who know him, which I think is his biggest asset for his job....also in that stacked Cronulla Keno cup side I got best on field, can I mention that 😉

Player Managers are a cancer on the game, full stop.
Some maybe Ralpie
It's like the old good cop, bad cop theory
Pretty much exists in every job across society and when 1 is terrible, the mud sprays over all of them...

I don't have an issue with DCE calling out player managers. But I'd prefer him to be having a chop at his own manager. They all appear to employ unscrupulous tactics the lot of em.
Is it the same manager he had back in 2015?

He is one of the most unscrupulous of them all.

So I see DCE had a subtle dig at player managers and how its often forgotten when it comes to players and a club.

We always look at the club or the player when a player moves on BUT DCE made it pretty clear that there is a third party which actually has more to do with the whole process and they hold the power, they are often overlooked.. The MANAGER.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to younger player and how they are basically "shipped" off to another club without the club that brought them through the juniors having much say in it.
So they are now looking at introducing a 10 day cooling off period or last right of approach where the CLUB has 10 days to convince the player to stay ( ALA- the Back flip clause that was canned after DCE back flipped).

But even with this DCE mentions that at the end the player goes where the manager wants them to go and he feels there needs to be better governance around player managers. ( I'm guessing this may have a bit to do with a few of our junior pathways players being "shipped" out in the last 2 season)

it also goes to show that the club and the players feel the impact as well and hopefully this should shut up a few of the negative posters on here who constantly bang on about the clubs management not retaining certain players blah blah.

In short they have no option!
was there an article or podcast interview i missed?

Hey "The Who" hope ya well mate 👍
My mate was actually a policemen and worked with me before at Cronulla leagues when every staff was linked as a player through grades at some stage.....
Had Greeny, Barnett, ET, lang, long, Richardson, Triester and my good mate big Adam Ritson
I only played 1 game with him at Shark park which was a keno cup charity game....he then went on to play for Brisbane Easts, Toowoomba clydsales when they won the Qld cup and then played a few games for South's at NRL level
To be honest he is sharp on the banter and a smart social bloke, but not sure his study credentials mate....more a knockabout bloke but very trusted by those who know him, which I think is his biggest asset for his job....also in that stacked Cronulla Keno cup side I got best on field, can I mention that 😉
Interesting read . You had a contract with Brisbane Easts at one stage also ? Think that you once mentioned that you played centre or 2 nd row but could be wrong there
.Good luck with Carlton this afternoon . Talk about a close one with the Pies , anyway did well to recover and will take an important win like that in whatever shape or form

Interesting read . You had a contract with Brisbane Easts at one stage also ? Think that you once mentioned that you played centre or 2 nd row but could be wrong there
.Good luck with Carlton this afternoon . Talk about a close one with the Pies , anyway did well to recover and will take an important win like that in whatever shape or form
Hi Al - yeh keen to see a solid Carlton dig, but tough ask in Bris vs the Lions....but let's f....in go 😅
Yeh played basically everywhere but prop n Hooker.
A close mate was the jnr Aussie halfback and played with Clyde and Daley and basically showed me how to play, as I could beat 5 each run, but lacked any real vision.....never played with his club team as enjoyed playing with school mates at Cronulla Caringbah and they would beat us by 40 😳 but I still scored a few and hit 'em hard ...

Hey Al - just on the footy stuff, you seem to have good insight mate and must have played a bit yourself.
Always like your insight and posts Champ, that's 100%

Some maybe Ralpie
It's like the old good cop, bad cop theory
Pretty much exists in every job across society and when 1 is terrible, the mud sprays over all of them...

That’s not the good cop bad cop theory

I see the need for player mangers, but they appear to wield too much power.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8