DCE to Broncos!/?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bennett (not Connell) was indisputably the decision maker at the time, and he told Ballin he would probably never play first grade at the Broncos. So if that isn't being told you're not wanted, I don't know what is. The Broncos were only upset AFTER Daly made it at Manly.

Kiwi was clearly the dog with the right bone.

Manly hooker Matt Ballin has proven doubters wrong
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/manly-hooker-matt-ballin-has-proven-doubters-wrong/story-e6frep5o-1226148155230

Matt Ballin dives over for a try in the first round of finals against the North Queensland Cowboys. Source: The Daily Telegraph

HOOKER Matt Ballin was once famously told by Wayne Bennett that he would probably never play first-grade at the Broncos.

But the boy from Kingaroy never doubted himself, and enters Sunday's NRL grand final as a key plank of Manly's plan to beat New Zealand.

Proud dad David, principal at Kingaroy High School, yesterday praised his son for having the courage to try to prove Bennett wrong.

Ballin Sr said his son relished knocking the club that spurned him out of the finals last Friday night, but held no grudges.

Rather, Bennett's knockback, after Ballin had a stint in the lower grades at the Broncos in 2002, ended up being the best thing that happened to his son.

"At the time, when Wayne told him he would probably never play first-grade at the Broncos, he was pretty hurt and cut up," Ballin Sr said.

"Some people would have given up. But Matt put his head down and was really determined and committed to playing first-grade.

"He had the courage to move on and try to play somewhere else.

"He now realises it is the best move he has ever made.

"If he had stayed in Brisbane he almost certainly would have never got a chance at the big time. The whole thing has given him a lot of pleasure."

In a NRL grand final devoid of major interest for Queenslanders, Ballin will give league fans north of the border at least one reason to cheer for Manly.

The tough hooker, who played his junior representative football for Wide Bay, was pounced on by Manly recruitment chief Noel Cleal after being unwanted at the Broncos.

He has never looked back, tasting grand final glory when the Sea Eagles beat the Storm in 2008, and playing Origin for the Maroons when Cameron Smith was injured last year.

Legendary former Broncos scout Cyril Connell was one of the first to spot Ballin's potential and, as usual, was right on the money.

"'Cyril was always saying to the Broncos they should give him a try," Ballin Sr said.

"It's funny how life goes because now Matt really likes beating the Broncos, although there is no resentment there.

"Matt was studying to be a physical education teacher and if he had stayed in Brisbane, I'd say he would be teaching in a classroom somewhere rather than playing first-grade."

More than 60 years ago Ballin's late grandfather, Ron Lidgard, played at hooker in the Manly district competition in the days before the Manly-Warringah club was formed in 1947.

The extended Ballin family will travel down to Sydney later this week.

mozgrame said:
Dan said:
Moondog said:
With all the junior talent they've had right under their noses for years it's unbelievable they've got to look to other clubs for signings at all. Their recruitment and retention policy is right down there with the Eels.
Ballin was another one we snagged from them, they weren't real happy about that either

I said that once on here and Kiwi was like a dog with a bone. He swears the bronco's released him because he was no good. I KNOW your version is right Dan. :)

yes but what does it say about tipping comp positions?

Cool. So Bennett was upset that we snagged him (eventually).
Connell was upset we snagged him (immediately)

One thing is certain....The Bronco's were sure upset about us snagging him. :)

I still think Dan and I were right. We went by initial media reports...and we all know, journo's get it right every time!! ;)

Enjoy your bone KE. lol

Clint said:
tookey said:
More chance of Australia winning the ashes than Manly releasing DCE

awww come on Tooks - the Aussies are still are chance aren't they? Clarkie said so. :s

Clark will go down as one of the worst and most hated captains of all time.

And now he isn't even scoring runs to make up for how much the rest of the team hate him

The Bronco's management are so incompetent.

The word I'm hearing is that, with the threat of another Queensland team entering the comp, they are desperate to boost their popularity.

On that basis they are looking to sign Mitchell Pearce, because he is the most popular man in Queensland.

The silly fools never considered why he might be so popular...

I thought we played just fine with Hiku in at centre, Lyon at 5/8 and Foran @ 1/2 back.

Therefore, either way, we don't look so bad. Never know, could free up plenty of space to sign another blue chip player.

Terrible as this sounds, it's not such a bad thing either way tbh.

tookey said:
Clint said:
tookey said:
More chance of Australia winning the ashes than Manly releasing DCE

awww come on Tooks - the Aussies are still are chance aren't they? Clarkie said so. :s

Clark will go down as one of the worst and most hated captains of all time.

And now he isn't even scoring runs to make up for how much the rest of the team hate him

Stick to football banter, it's at least remotely on the money.

If he goes to the Broncs it will because og Griffin but tbh I dont think they will keep beyond next year. They sacked Henjak for a poor season and they a currently running at their worse season ever.

bob dylan said:
Sandow and Barba to Broncs I hear.

When does Sandow's "Billion dollar" contract expire? Surely the Bronc's wont pay his current contract. The only way I could see him at the Bronc's is if his current contract expires at the end of this year.

Clint said:
bob dylan said:

When does Sandow's "Billion dollar" contract expire? Surely the Bronc's wont pay his current contract. The only way I could see him at the Bronc's is if his current contract expires at the end of this year.

I'm pretty sure it was 3 years,at $500k+ per year. (making him the most over-rated,overpaid player for years).

ayjay007 said:
Clint said:
bob dylan said:

I'm pretty sure it was 3 years,at $500k+ per year. (making him the most over-rated,overpaid player for years).

Just read, a 4 year deal starting last year, meaning he still has two years to go. I can't imagine the Bronco's picking up the tab for that unless Sandow asks for a release and is going to take a massive pay cut.

Isn't his partner a local girl? I can't see DCE leaving before the end of his contract.

I think hunt and even izzy might be on their radar.

There's a lot of talk of Troy Evans And hook being mates and that could get him up there.

I also know bris CEO Paul white has said hook is safe no matter what happens this season but Brisbane are used to success if there season fAlls away hook will be gone and the CEO could join him if he backs him to the hilt.

The other thing you have to remember is whilst Daly is a talented kid and you couldn't ask anymore from him than what he's done so far at manly he has only had to run the show alone on a handful of occasions and hasn't been as effective as he is when he has Brett Stewart behind him, foran on the other side and Glenn and killer on his side of the field.

On field life is pretty sweet for Daly at manly.

If he went to Brisbane he would be the main point of attack and he would be targeted accordingly.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7