Depression Issues for Players - warning, heavy content

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
River first of all not once in my initial post did i single you out, my response to you in my second post is due to you taking it personally and on some anti TC crusade from your very first post.

Secondly every other post "politely" disagreed with my views and i was happy to just leave it at that, i enjoy constructive thought provoking debate involving research and personal experiences.

Your response was more about wanting to bait me into "elaborating" so that you could say "see TC could not help himself i knew it----the bloke is a complete and utter pathetic joke".

Now in response to others in this thread i never once said people who suffer "depression" as the medical industry defines it can snap out of it.

Some of the horrific experiences people have had to deal with in their lifetimes in no way do i expect them to "just snap out of it" but what is making them feel down is not an illness just a reaction to a personal experience that is totally normal. The way people deal with such experiences is psychological and varies from person to person in the same way people are different in being positive or what they find offensive etc etc.

If being positive is a state of mind the opposite must be true, people don't just wake up and "become depressed and if prolonged suffer depression" like it is some disease that has been simmering away waiting for the right time to pounce. In the same way people don't naturally become confident/positive it is a trained mindset which is harnessed from positive experiences/ outcomes in life and good upbringing can help(but not always).

Some people might have a psychological predisposition but that is about a trained mindset not some disease that is causing a chemical imbalance in some and not others.

There is always an underlying reason why a person feels this way, be it self esteem, a traumatic experience, lacking direction in life, the negative/bad environment they lived etc etc---- people just don't suffer depression for no reason like the disease/illness gives them no choice.

I am not saying people who are suffering depression should just snap out of it, some experiences are so bad it might take years or decades just to see improvements but depression itself is not in my eyes a disease or illness.

I wonder if there are any links between depression and on-line personal attacks? Nah, probably not.

The negative environment River puts me under is making me feel depressed i just can't take it any longer---- please someone "like" my posts so that i can stroke my own ego again and overcome this short term negative state i am in.

I need to feel the emotional high of hitting the like button under one of my long technical dribble laden posts to see who agrees with me and once again surround myself with positive thoughts from the vibes of others.

From the F6 said:
Technical Coach said:
i don't believe in depression.

i must admit this topic of depression really does get to me.

Be careful TC the Black dog dont discriminate

I know it won't happen to me---if my past experiences can't bring me down nothing will.......

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Technical Coach said:
please someone "like" my posts
You probably have a better chance in some other thread!

Yeah it is a depressing thread who was i trying to kid lol.

I'm sure Dan has all the time in the world to reprogram the "like post" button so that you can like your own posts----well ok only for TC so he can feel his own love.

Technical Coach said:
River first of all not once in my initial post did i single you out, my response to you in my second post is due to you taking it personally and on some anti TC crusade from your very first post.

Secondly every other post "politely" disagreed with my views and i was happy to just leave it at that, i enjoy constructive thought provoking debate involving research and personal experiences.

Your response was more about wanting to bait me into "elaborating" so that you could say "see TC could not help himself i knew it----the bloke is a complete and utter pathetic joke".

Now in response to others in this thread i never once said people who suffer "depression" as the medical industry defines it can snap out of it.

Some of the horrific experiences people have had to deal with in their lifetimes in no way do i expect them to "just snap out of it" but what is making them feel down is not an illness just a reaction to a personal experience that is totally normal. The way people deal with such experiences is psychological and varies from person to person in the same way people are different in being positive or what they find offensive etc etc.

If being positive is a state of mind the opposite must be true, people don't just wake up and "become depressed and if prolonged suffer depression" like it is some disease that has been simmering away waiting for the right time to pounce. In the same way people don't naturally become confident/positive it is a trained mindset which is harnessed from positive experiences/ outcomes in life and good upbringing can help(but not always).

Some people might have a psychological predisposition but that is about a trained mindset not some disease that is causing a chemical imbalance in some and not others.

There is always an underlying reason why a person feels this way, be it self esteem, a traumatic experience, lacking direction in life, the negative/bad environment they lived etc etc---- people just don't suffer depression for no reason like the disease/illness gives them no choice.

I am not saying people who are suffering depression should just snap out of it, some experiences are so bad it might take years or decades just to see improvements but depression itself is not in my eyes a disease or illness.

Please post your medical degree and supportive material from ANYONE that would even remotely concur with this utter nonsense.

I'm done though.

There's nothing even close to constructive discussion here...as usual occurring once you put forth your view TC.

You have one perfect disciple though in SER8.

I just hope any vulnerable people that happen to read this thread are able to ignore your comprehensive ignorances and flippancy.

All I've said is clear; and I'll let your words (especially this post) speak for itself, too.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I wonder if there are any links between depression and on-line personal attacks? Nah, probably not.

Definitely a link between stupidity and ''online personal attacks''

If anyone feels any of this thread is exactly that.

I see it as an attack on common sense and decency yet again myself.

But, I'll tread as carefully as I can, lest be that you're actually a precocious teenager, or sensitive and sheltered old woman......for all we know that is, of course..

I have been told by some people outside the Northern Beaches that I have serious mental health issues.

It all started about more than 30+ years ago and it's still plaguing me today.

My issue has not once subsided and it's causing me to continue in the manner that I am today.

I was diagnosed with Manlythymia.

I never knew that such a condition was possible but all I do is live and breathe "Manly Sea Eagles" and it's affecting every facet of my personal life.

The plus side is that I am not depressed. However, the effect is quite the opposite. The maroon and whites has given me a consistent warm and fuzzy, winning feeling since childhood.

Perhaps, this can be recommended as a remedy for anyone that suffers depression. After all, if it works for me, it might work for them too?

SeaEagleRock8 said:

You're right SER8, you just have to look at the stats, at say, 13-25's with Facebook and suicide. If we disagree on a forum there is no need to insult another poster. Words typed by keyboard heroes can hurt the vulnerable.

RiverEagle said:
But rather than seeking cheap technical points over me, and amusement in yet another serious discussion, focus on the point and far more important issues here.
I'm seeking neither cheap points nor amusement. I dislike they way you so quickly resort to personal attacks when you disagree with a point of view, and yes, there is ample evidence of a link between online bullying and depression. Which is the issue here.

And, while advocates of mental health awareness are working hard trying to change societal attitudes, you like to appeal to the popularity of a point of view as a vindication of it.

You'd add a lot more value to these discussions if you spent less time on personal insults and more time addressing the actual ideas people are trying to express.

niccipops said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

You're right SER8, you just have to look at the stats, at say, 13-25's with Facebook and suicide. If we disagree on a forum there is no need to insult another poster. Words typed by keyboard heroes can hurt the vulnerable.

Oh come on nicci...You can't possibly feel that either TC or SER8 would be bothered by our exchanges? They couldn't care less.

And as a schoolteacher I would sincerely hope you'd be far more concerned with the bunkum and disregard for mental health, specifically depression, on show.

If your point is about personal attacks per say, take issue with SER8 for pointlessly picking apart my post at one juncture...for nothing more than brownie points on semantics.

And he was wrong anyway.

Or TC himself for what his attitude and ''beliefs'' would do to someone struggling to ask for help!

If your overall concern is the welfare of our kids and young adults, please look at the OP and overall point of the thread. Sidetracked and diminished by both TC and SER8 here.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
RiverEagle said:
But rather than seeking cheap technical points over me, and amusement in yet another serious discussion, focus on the point and far more important issues here.
I'm seeking neither cheap points nor amusement. I dislike they way you so quickly resort to personal attacks when you disagree with a point of view, and yes, there is ample evidence of a link between online bullying and depression. Which is the issue here.

And, while advocates of mental health awareness are working hard trying to change societal attitudes, you like to appeal to the popularity of a point of view as a vindication of it.

You'd add a lot more value to these discussions if you spent less time on personal insults and more time addressing the actual ideas people are trying to express.

The thread is NOT about online bullying; you introduced that rather jaundiced aside.

It was about depression in men; specifically NRL players.

Sometimes a '' populist view '' is simply that because it's right.

And I was the FIRST reply in the thread anyway. I didn't follow any lead, popular or not.

I've been avoiding watching this for sometime as depression and bipolar has struck very close to me.

Well done Footy Show (now there are words I thought I'd never type) for a brilliant and sensitive report.

And thank you Technical Coach for finally giving me insight into where your comments come from. You are a Scientologist. Pure and simple. What a relief to finally have you figured!

River Eagle there used to be a time here where people held differing beliefs...as a result they felt they could debate topics with respect. There has been many a time where I have agreed to disagree...it was the thing that made this place great.

Different opinions, ones that you do not agree with, and ones you did not need to take so seriously.

I understand this is a topic where you can get pretty fired up and, for what it is worth, I agree with your thinking but believe you need to work on your approach as it comes across as overly aggressive

Technical Coach said:
From the F6 said:
Technical Coach said:
i don't believe in depression.

i must admit this topic of depression really does get to me.

Be careful TC the Black dog dont discriminate

I know it won't happen to me---if my past experiences can't bring me down nothing will.......

Did you used to coach at the Dogs ??

lsz said:
River Eagle there used to be a time here where people held differing beliefs...as a result they felt they could debate topics with respect. There has been many a time where I have agreed to disagree...it was the thing that made this place great.

Different opinions, ones that you do not agree with, and ones you did not need to take so seriously.

I understand this is a topic where you can get pretty fired up and, for what it is worth, I agree with your thinking but believe you need to work on your approach as it comes across as overly aggressive

I take your point mate and agree this thread is very serious and provocative for so many (and should be treated with respect).

Personally this forum is the same to me as everyday life.

Respect is earned, not automatic.

So equally it can be lost. And that has happened for me.

Cheers.

RiverEagle said:
The thread is NOT about online bullying; you introduced that rather jaundiced aside.

It was about depression in men; specifically NRL players.
Yeah I know, but that's what I said, depression is the issue. And also I'm not accusing you of on-line bullying, but I agree with lsz, you can come across 'overly aggressive' at times. You remind me of a Dalek, you pop up all over the place, generally appearing benign (if not downright banal and humdrum), but when a different point of view is spotted, suddenly it's 'Destroy, Destroy'.

I can't speak for others but I like to imagine members here posting with a cheeky smile not a sneer. You obviously have a lot to contribute, which is why I bother to write this. Join the party, we are all wrong and/or misfits in some respects or we wouldn't inhabit this fantastic place.

Ironically SER8 I see you in a similar light.

You can be rarely sighted for days at a time whilst others here post happily away. Including myself.

For some time now any slight opportunity you see to take issue with me or make a snide, irrelevant comment, you try and seize it and make it fly for whatever you can.

I joined the party quite awhile ago; you must've simply overlooked it.

OT: You did introduce the issue of online bullying. No-one else. That may well be worthy of discussion, but it had no relevance to @HappilyManly's original issue.

So why throw it into the mix if not for accusatory or snide means?

You did say you agreed with me for once (admitting you must somehow disagree with me most of the time). Until you saw a petty chance to nit-pick on semantics, wrong as you were, over my beef with TC.

And you clearly took silly delight in that.

If TC can frustrate even @Dan to call him a douche bag, it's pretty clear why some of us struggle to enjoy his work...much less respect it.

And I'm over your casual agenda towards me (in a similar vein) too.

I have no problems with anyone else here, so what does that say about who is joining in, in the right spirit, and who isn't?

Sorry @HappilyManly for diluting the importance of your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7