Des deserves more respect and support

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
We look unprepared which was something you never used to be able to say about a des team
Yes and no. I recall the team - and Des and Donnie - getting ripped to shreds by upset fans on a number of occasions back around 2009 and 2010 seasons. We had a champion team back then but came up with some very underwhelming performances at times.
Coincidentally those were also years when our star fullback was scarcely sighted.

Yes and no. I recall the team - and Des and Donnie - getting ripped to shreds by upset fans on a number of occasions back around 2009 and 2010 seasons. We had a champion team back then but came up with some very underwhelming performances at times.
Coincidentally those were also years when our star fullback was scarcely sighted.

I know you just like playing devils advocate and that is fine, but poor performances in the past have been framed by the pinnacle of success. What is the frame around last season and this season?

Off performances can be forgiven/understood and forgotten when the reference point is not just more of the same which is all that has been served up in recent memory. I have been supporting manly since the mid 80s and besides the footnote of the northern eagles, we have never had a slump like this. I’m struggling to take any positives out of our recent performances (20/21) there is no improvement/recognition/
New selections/new strategy’s that even suggest we are trying to arrest the slump that’s the fundamental difference

You have to wonder if des’s message to the players is not being heard or not being followed, or if it’s just wrong. All three options are cause for concern

I agree it's been a shocking run. We may or may not get through it without wholesale changes to coaches and players. I'm still backing us to climb back!
1615889092930.png

Look I see it this way Des deserves all the respect as past player and premiership winning coach.But we need to trust Des in his decisions as supporters and passionate supporters of the club .But also as passionate supporters of the club we also deserve a team worthy of wearing our colours, and tough decisions need to be made after all this is a buisness a brand built on blood sweat and tears and pride .And if the tough decisions need to be made they should be for all concerned not past glory ,they should be made for the supporters and for the image and brand of the club as no one is more than the club and at the moment our brand is tarnished.And our team lacks heart soul and isn't what we stand for the buck stops with Des and players.

Last edited:
Well it’s great for Des no doubt not many clubs would reward such a run, now he needs to find a way to repay the faith, hopefully it can galvanised the side this weekend after Des has stuck solid by his troops, they owe him and all of our supporters a much improved effort this weekend, hopefully getting this out of the way can bring something positive to the fore.

You know when I was 18 I could run a 5km in under 20mins I deserve respect for that and when I run it now I should expect respect for what I used to be able to do, never mind anything under 24mins is an achievement now I'm 40....

In other words today is not yesterday and you live by what you produce not what you once produced

You know when I was 18 I could run a 5km in under 20mins I deserve respect for that and when I run it now I should expect respect for what I used to be able to do, never mind anything under 24mins is an achievement now I'm 40....

In other words today is not yesterday and you live by what you produce not what you once produced
Not sure this analogy really applies. It would make sense say if Cliffy wanted to play fiirst grade again as rugby league like running depends upon fitness which declines with age. I am not sure coaching rugby league necessarily does? Many of a good coach especially in the modern game have had bad runs and have come back. Look at Ivan Cleary in his latest coaching stint at Penrith. Dessie has demonstrated an innate capability which does not necessarily decline with age. It seems Stephen humphreys is willing to somewhat bet on this innate ability as well. In short Dessie has done enough to be given the benefit of the doubt and of course the respect this implies.

Ill
Not sure this analogy really applies. It would make sense say if Cliffy wanted to play fiirst grade again as rugby league like running depends upon fitness which declines with age. I am not sure coaching rugby league necessarily does? Many of a good coach especially in the modern game have had bad runs and have come back. Look at Ivan Cleary in his latest coaching stint at Penrith. Dessie has demonstrated an innate capability which does not necessarily decline with age. It seems Stephen humphreys is willing to somewhat bet on this innate ability as well. In short Dessie has done enough to be given the benefit of the doubt and of course the respect this implies.
I'll simplify it...Dessie did great things in 2007-2011......since then he's done....not great things which means he's as good as his recent form not his form over a decade ago

When I first heard Des was coming back I really believed he'd lead us to another title. I felt it would just start building.. I don't know if the new rules have screwed Des completely and he's just failing to adapt. Maybe there's still time for him to do so but it needs to start happening fast. Do our players just not have the ability? There's so many question marks about our team and performances.
I'd love to see Jamie Lyon as coach. He was a great leader.

Ill
I'll simplify it...Dessie did great things in 2007-2011......since then he's done....not great things which means he's as good as his recent form not his form over a decade ago
The simple version is more confusing as Dessies overall coaching record since 2011 has still been top notch.

The simple version is more confusing as Dessies overall coaching record since 2011 has still been top notch.
Has it though? For us?

Also his MO is early change long term slow down, we've seen new des being like a bad version of old des.

It's a results driven business

All I’ll say is,

He’s on notice.

What you did a decade ago in this cutthroat industry means three fifths of **** all.

He might have signed an extension but I bet there’s a performance clause.

In the meantime I’ll support him but as I say , he’s definitely on notice.

Has it though? For us?

Also his MO is early change long term slow down, we've seen new des being like a bad version of old des.

It's a results driven business
Hmm I guess we will know more soon. It’s only round 2. BTW Dessie did good for us in 2019 but no so good in 2020.

Hmm I guess we will know more soon. It’s only round 2. BTW Dessie did good for us in 2019 but no so good in 2020.
He did ok for us but not great.
It is too early to tell and 2011 I gave up after the first game.

Big difference though. We were one try from being an impossibility to win last week

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11