Des in Lockdown

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SirPigman

Does anyone have access to Daily Telegraph article below ?

Manly players ban Des Hasler in strong hub play​

Sea Eagles players have revealed how they are keeping ‘lonely’ coach Des Hasler at arms length inside their restrictive Sunshine Coast hub. FIND OUT WHY.

NRL 2021: Sea Eagles invoke Des Hasler ban on days off to prevent NRL hub burnout in finals run​

Sea Eagles players have revealed how they are keeping ‘lonely’ coach Des Hasler at arms length inside their restrictive Sunshine Coast hub. FIND OUT WHY.

Dean Ritchie

3 min read
August 9, 2021 - 5:48PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Foxsports2:14

Why did Jared only play 11 minutes?!​

UP NEXT
NRL: The Big League Wrap panel discuss the Sydney Roosters performance against the Penrith Panthers and why JWH only played 11 minutes.

The secret behind Manly’s top-four charge has finally been revealed – Des-free days.
Sea Eagles players have implemented a rule where players are forbidden to speak with coach Des Hasler – and vice versa – during days off inside their restrictive Sunshine Coast hub.
The unusual move is designed to keep the players’ heads clear of footy talk on days off with the NRL finals looming.
Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Manly players need a break from The Nutty Professor.

Nicknamed The Nutty Professor, Hasler is known for his love of talking football and sports science, often making calls after midnight to associates open to a late-night discussion.
Manly players claim Hasler has been trying to break into their card games to kickstart footy discussions. The players though are sticking to their footy-free days off.
“We have been really good in establishing a rule where a day off is our day off,” said Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, who will equal Hasler on 255 games for Manly in Saturday night’s big match against Parramatta.
“I am saying this while smiling but it is a rule. Our days off are left alone – it’s a little rule we have instilled. Obviously we are surrounded by Des and the coaching staff and they are very switched on and can feed us a lot of information.
“But one thing that we do have back in Sydney is time off and time away from the game and we’ve got to make sure we do that here. It’s been really refreshing.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on Foxtel Find out more

“It has been something that we said we needed from the start and everyone has been true to their word. If people want to talk footy on their days off then that’s completely up to them.
“You can tell Des is getting a little bit lonely at times because he’s trying to play cards with a few of the boys, but it’s not to play cards, it’s to talk footy with them. It’s pretty funny. I think a few of the boys must have hustled him for a coffee or a few bucks.
Des Hasler ‘is going nuts’ in lockdown.

“Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching footy on my day off, but as for the ins and outs, and the structures of the game, that’s left for our normal schedule.
“Like I said, if Des can manage to get his way into a card game to talk footy, then we’ll have to pay credit to that.”
Manly centre Brad Parker said players have introduced a “buffer” zone on days off.
“There’s a rule that you’re not allowed to speak to us on our days off. So he (Hasler) has been coming around to me, he lingers around a bit, and he wants to talk footy and I’ve said: ‘It’s all right, you can talk to me’,” Parker said.
“A couple of the guys have given him the red flag and said we’re not allowed to speak to Des on our days off. He’s going nuts (in lockdown). He even wanted to play cards with us a couple of times, so he must be lonely.
“He starts a conversation off with something else, how’s the family going, and then it’s straight into footy. There’s a little buffer and then it’s straight back to footy.”
Sea Eagles winger Reuben Garrick said players need a break from the coaching staff.
“You have to have that balance like we have back in Sydney,” Garrick said. “You have to have that time away from work and have time with your family, your partner. In a camp environment, it can be too much like a footy camp, I guess.
Enough is enough! DCE doesn’t want the coach talking footy on their days off.

“We have front footed that and just said we have to have that balance in life here on the Sunshine Coast. Des has been pretty good with it. On our days off he’s like: “No, no, I can’t talk footy.’
“We all love the game so much so we do find it hard not to talk about it in this environment but it’s something we have to be conscious of.”
Manly frightened premiership favourites Melbourne last weekend and now focus on the Eels.
Victory could push the Sea Eagles into the top four, perhaps at the expense of struggling Parramatta.

More Coverage​

Mad Dog’s reputation could kill his NRL career ‘Snapped in half’: Sickening cost of brutal head clash
“They’re going to be extremely motivated to play well after their last month of footy. We won’t be taking them lightly because we have been there before. This is their turn to have a form slump. It all goes around in circles,” Cherry-Evans said.
Parker added: “I don’t think we can really buy into that, to be honest and Parramatta are still a real strong side. They might be going through a dark patch at the moment but we can’t really read anything into that.”

NRL 2021: Sea Eagles invoke Des Hasler ban on days off to prevent NRL hub burnout in finals run​

Dean Ritchie

3 min read
August 9, 2021 - 5:48PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Foxsports2:14

Why did Jared only play 11 minutes?!​

UP NEXT
NRL: The Big League Wrap panel discuss the Sydney Roosters performance against the Penrith Panthers and why JWH only played 11 minutes.

The secret behind Manly’s top-four charge has finally been revealed – Des-free days.
Sea Eagles players have implemented a rule where players are forbidden to speak with coach Des Hasler – and vice versa – during days off inside their restrictive Sunshine Coast hub.
The unusual move is designed to keep the players’ heads clear of footy talk on days off with the NRL finals looming.
Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Nicknamed The Nutty Professor, Hasler is known for his love of talking football and sports science, often making calls after midnight to associates open to a late-night discussion.
Manly players claim Hasler has been trying to break into their card games to kickstart footy discussions. The players though are sticking to their footy-free days off.
“We have been really good in establishing a rule where a day off is our day off,” said Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, who will equal Hasler on 255 games for Manly in Saturday night’s big match against Parramatta.
“I am saying this while smiling but it is a rule. Our days off are left alone – it’s a little rule we have instilled. Obviously we are surrounded by Des and the coaching staff and they are very switched on and can feed us a lot of information.
“But one thing that we do have back in Sydney is time off and time away from the game and we’ve got to make sure we do that here. It’s been really refreshing.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on Foxtel Find out more

“It has been something that we said we needed from the start and everyone has been true to their word. If people want to talk footy on their days off then that’s completely up to them.
“You can tell Des is getting a little bit lonely at times because he’s trying to play cards with a few of the boys, but it’s not to play cards, it’s to talk footy with them. It’s pretty funny. I think a few of the boys must have hustled him for a coffee or a few bucks.

“Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching footy on my day off, but as for the ins and outs, and the structures of the game, that’s left for our normal schedule.
“Like I said, if Des can manage to get his way into a card game to talk footy, then we’ll have to pay credit to that.”
Manly centre Brad Parker said players have introduced a “buffer” zone on days off.
“There’s a rule that you’re not allowed to speak to us on our days off. So he (Hasler) has been coming around to me, he lingers around a bit, and he wants to talk footy and I’ve said: ‘It’s all right, you can talk to me’,” Parker said.
“A couple of the guys have given him the red flag and said we’re not allowed to speak to Des on our days off. He’s going nuts (in lockdown). He even wanted to play cards with us a couple of times, so he must be lonely.
“He starts a conversation off with something else, how’s the family going, and then it’s straight into footy. There’s a little buffer and then it’s straight back to footy.”
Sea Eagles winger Reuben Garrick said players need a break from the coaching staff.
“You have to have that balance like we have back in Sydney,” Garrick said. “You have to have that time away from work and have time with your family, your partner. In a camp environment, it can be too much like a footy camp, I guess.

“We have front footed that and just said we have to have that balance in life here on the Sunshine Coast. Des has been pretty good with it. On our days off he’s like: “No, no, I can’t talk footy.’
“We all love the game so much so we do find it hard not to talk about it in this environment but it’s something we have to be conscious of.”
Manly frightened premiership favourites Melbourne last weekend and now focus on the Eels.
Victory could push the Sea Eagles into the top four, perhaps at the expense of struggling Parramatta.

More Coverage​

Mad Dog’s reputation could kill his NRL career ‘Snapped in half’: Sickening cost of brutal head clash
“They’re going to be extremely motivated to play well after their last month of footy. We won’t be taking them lightly because we have been there before. This is their turn to have a form slump. It all goes around in circles,” Cherry-Evans said.
Parker added: “I don’t think we can really buy into that, to be honest and Parramatta are still a real strong side. They might be going through a dark patch at the moment but we can’t really read anything into that.”
Thanks

I reckon it's a great story. Just shut up Des for a minute. He would be a bloody pest to be in lockdown with. THis team is building into a great unit. Future's so bright I gotta wear shades:cool::cool::cool:

Starting to remind me of the days when the players had their quirky calls and mannerisms showing how happy as a core they were .

The "paper" call

Things like rock scissors paper between Le'Strange and Bullet after a try

Wolfman howling at the moon after a try.

The bearing of the teeth after scoring

Cultures huge, and it appears our group is very, very happy

He is the Long Distance Runner.
If he takes us to the GF as we are counting on him to do will he only vindicate the very system and society that has caused him to run? Or when we lead by plenty at half time will he refuse to take the field in the 2nd half and lose the GF in a defiant gesture aimed at the NRL and their lackeys.......

Dropping film titles like they're going out of style, Terry! One of my favourite Kirk Douglas films. The book it's based on, "The Brave Cowboy", is even better and would possibly prove very useful to Todd Payten.
He could wind up in the Small Back Room - a popular post-War English novel by Nigel Balchin, later a film.

Or noting that they’re holed up on the Moonshine Coast, follow Burt Lancaster’s example and become the Swimmer - another misunderstood loner.

He could wind up in the Small Back Room - a popular post-War English novel by Nigel Balchin, later a film.

Or noting that they’re holed up on the Moonshine Coast, follow Burt Lancaster’s example and become the Swimmer - another misunderstood loner.
He could change his name and become A man called Ove.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8