Des's Long Term Future In Doubt?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mcatt said:
We're losing $1.4 million this year and are in a financial hole, it took ages to get a sponsor, our ground is a dump, and our crowds have been down. As far as I'm concerned the coaching staff and player talent are by far the best thing going for this club at the moment. This coaching staff must be kept at all costs.

Therein lies the problem. The club is in a financial hole, yet we expect the Board to keep the coaching staff "at all costs". It is easy for us fans to sit back and say "sort it out" but we don't actually have to resolve these impossible conundrums.

We all love the on field success at the moment, but the reality is that it comes at a price we can't afford.

Now Des wants more money.

As one of the top 3 coaches in the game, no one is arguing he doesn't deserve it or that he couldn't get it elsewhere in the market.

There is also a risk that without Des, on field performance could slip and this could cost us even more financially (crowds, sponsors etc) than the extra 200-300k we need to pay him. That risk just makes the case even stronger for paying him the extra.

However neither of these points solves the problem that if we don't have the cash then we don't have the cash.

If Des wanted $2 million a year, would you want the Board to agree to that? At what point does "at all costs" mean the death of the organisation itself?

What if we are already at or close to that point now?

Ultimately, this current situation will come down to whether Penn and Quantum are prepared to stump up more of their own money to give Des what he is looking for.

I think (hope) they will in this instance but for how long can this continue?

Post from the Kennel (Bulldogs website)

Spoke to an ex Manly player today and asked him about Hasler.

In his words "Hasler will never leave Manly. He is far too comfortable there and on very good terms with the board, and the sponsors. If Des wants something, he gets it. I'd be very doubtful he'll go into a club and start from the bottom of the ladder again, as he is a bit of a control freak despite being a VERY good coach".

Jerry1 said:
Not having a major sponsor fo most of the season would account for it. That I blame on Lowe

I don't know how much you think a major sponsorship is worth, but Penn and Quantum paid extra initially to have their names on the Jersey and then Kaspersky paid some when they came on. We might be out $400k but that still leaves a $1 mill shortfall which is the same as what we lost in 2008.

Not having a major sooner certainly hurt, but fundamentally the problem is that our revenue streams can't keep up with what Des needs to spend to get the on field success we have enjoyed.

Ceagle said:

In his words "Hasler will never leave Manly. He is far too comfortable there and on very good terms with the board, and the sponsors. If Des wants something, he gets it. I'd be very doubtful he'll go into a club and start from the bottom of the ladder again, as he is a bit of a control freak despite being a VERY good coach".

The day we read anything into whats written on the bulldogs forum about the internal workings of our club is the day we should pack up and move into a joint venture with the north sydney bears at NSO.

Jatz Crackers said:
Ceagle said:

The day we read anything into whats written on the bulldogs forum about the internal workings of our club is the day we should pack up and move into a joint venture with the north sydney bears at NSO.

And we could call them the Northern Eagles

Jatz Crackers said:
I do not believe dollars for Des are the issue here.

I'm not sure there is any issue here other than a slow news day. Hughes probably just wanted to get people talking about something else other than Lockyer.

If we wanted to we could start a rumour that Cronk and Slater each have a get out clause in one of their contracts with the Storm which they can exercise if they get beaten by Manly (which they each requested after the trauma of the 2008 GF), and that since their loss at Brookie the other week they have been in secret talks with Rusty about joining Souths because they miss Greg Inglis.

It can be silly to give credibility to completely unsubstantiated assertions. Didn't News Ltd tell players that they would become household names in China if they signed with Super League? I bet some of them are still trying to work out why nobody recognises them in Beijing.

Simmo said:
Jerry1 said:
Not having a major sponsor fo most of the season would account for it. That I blame on Lowe

I don't know how much you think a major sponsorship is worth, but Penn and Quantum paid extra initially to have their names on the Jersey and then Kaspersky paid some when they came on. We might be out $400k but that still leaves a $1 mill shortfall which is the same as what we lost in 2008.

Not having a major sooner certainly hurt, but fundamentally the problem is that our revenue streams can't keep up with what Des needs to spend to get the on field success we have enjoyed.

Simmo, as supporters or members it is easy for us to sit here and criticise and it wouldn't be a job that I would ever consider however given our recent success of late and if revenue streams are still down then fundamentally the current board is not delivering in the business sense. The coach and players are delivering on their end however the board is failing to capitalise on our the team’s success.

Now I don’t know if the board is solely responsible and I guess there are many factors to consider as I can only speculate however we cannot blame GFC, not enough ticketed members, our stadium situation as the cause of most of the clubs problems however the fact remains if the board was cohesive and working as one financially viable organisation we shouldn’t be in any form of financial strain.

The board is solely responsible for this aspect and the financial viability of the club.

tookey said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Ceagle said:

And we could call them the Northern Eagles

Northern phoenix, we might as well be completely dead

Graham Hughes just said on talkin sport that his rumour source re the Des thing 'comes from the Canterbury area'

maybe the rumour source trying to do some de-stabilisation to Manly at a critical time of the season....

Central Coast Eagle said:
Greame Hughes is now.saying that des told manly he wanted more money and that's why he might be leaving.

All sounds like bs to me.

true CCE, although if you are successful in any field you deserve more money

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7