• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hey guys, I am part of 2 other unrelated topic forums that use the same software and those buttons don't exist on the page.

Are these buttons in the best interest of the forum? Pressing negative buttons is not really contributing
They encourage people to show a lazy disagreement with or dislike of a post without actually participating and thereby discouraging discussion

If they were disabled, members would actually have to explain why they disagree with or dislike something if they want to show dislike/disagreement.

They are then contributing, as the author of that post did.

It's kind of immature to press a button and then hide, and some use it like that while others may use it because of a grudge.

It's not a reputation thing as dislike or disagree scores are not tabulated.

A poster has no lesser value because others press a button instead of taking the time to explain why they disagree or dislike his/her post, irregardless of the topic. On the contrary, someone pushing these buttons is of less value because they are not contributing at all.

I think the forum would be better off without them, how about you?

Last edited:
Not so much agree but the disagree button is used way too much.
As is dislike.
Some poor bugger posts a rumour and cops a stack of negative ratings.
People have no idea about what they are for.
I'd agree or like but I can't but good thread.

How about we create a new 'button', we could call it the 'let it go, people can 'contribute' in any way they are comfortable with even if you disagree or dislike their approach' button?

Not so much agree but the disagree button is used way too much.
As is dislike.
Some poor bugger posts a rumour and cops a stack of negative ratings.
People have no idea about what they are for.
I'd agree or like but I can't but good thread.

I've always found it bizarre when people give a dislike rating to someone who is only posting a news article. I understand they are only disliking the article, but the dislike goes against the poster's positive ratings.

If it were up to me (which it isn't), I'd take out the negative ones, leave in positive ratings and see if there are any 'humorous' or uniquely silvertails style ones we could have.

There's certainly a childish use of the disagree button by one 'or two' certain posters.

Anyway.... #firstworldproblems I guess.

I've always found it bizarre when people give a dislike rating to someone who is only posting a news article. I understand they are only disliking the article, but the dislike goes against the poster's positive ratings.

If it were up to me (which it isn't), I'd take out the negative ones, leave in positive ratings and see if there are any 'humorous' or uniquely silvertails style ones we could have.

There's certainly a childish use of the disagree button by one 'or two' certain posters.

Anyway.... #firstworldproblems I guess.
Yes.
Agree. Like. Optimistic...... winner!!!
What does amaze me GE is 'who' some of those certain posters are.
If you are going to dislike or disagree then grow some wheels and tell them why...

Not of our ratings have a negative value associated with them, only positive or neutral

Not of our ratings have a negative value associated with them, only positive or neutral

I don't think that is the point mate, "ratings" are pretty meaningless anyways, an opinion is an opinion, regardless of one's past opinions. "dislike" and "disagree" are a negative way to interact and I can't see any benefit in their existence.

I definitely dislike and disagree with negativity because I am positive that it is important to remain neutral.

I don't think that is the point mate, "ratings" are pretty meaningless anyways, an opinion is an opinion, regardless of one's past opinions. "dislike" and "disagree" are a negative way to interact and I can't see any benefit in their existence.

What would you have me do, just have everything positive?

The reality is that the ratings have contributed two things

1 - More engagement in posts
2 - Deflected a lot of negative conversation and specific griping.

Just clicking dislike has helped people engage less in personal attacks and arguments. Of course some people get upset about an arbitrary button click and they end up arguing or fighting but realistically they have actually contributed to a more positive environment by removing that part of the conversation.

What would you have me do, just have everything positive?

The reality is that the ratings have contributed two things

1 - More engagement in posts
2 - Deflected a lot of negative conversation and specific griping.

Just clicking dislike has helped people engage less in personal attacks and arguments. Of course some people get upset about an arbitrary button click and they end up arguing or fighting but realistically they have actually contributed to a more positive environment by removing that part of the conversation.

"What would you have me do, just have everything positive?"

If that were so, the only choice for a disagreeing reader would be to either state that they disagree or dislike a post or to move on. Nobody is forced to give a positive rating.
As I said in OP, those 2 buttons are disabled on other forums I contribute on that use the same software, and that is obviously a conscious choice made by their admin.

"Just clicking dislike has helped people engage less in personal attacks and arguments."

Well that is definitely a positive. Pro's and con's either way I guess.

How about if you hit disagree button you are required to substantiate reason. Personally I don't like hitting the dislike or disagree buttons. I have only dished out 5 and 10 respectively on my time here as i prefer to engage in dialogue. Just a thought but happy with status quo. Everyone is different.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4