DO we deserve to go any further in 09

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
one loss and we might as well jump off a cliff

get a perspective people, here let me give you one...

no hall, no le snack, no king, kite knocked out early, lyon wounded, playing in melbourne, the whole team in mourning at poor mrs hall's miscarriage (le snack couldn't even take the field)

it was going to be tough game people, and we didn't play badly, just got creamed by a team in touch up mode

i wonder if fans of other teams moan on like this when their lads loose... i wonder?

and so what has orford done???, well, a premiership and player of the year in 08; i swear if they don't do action-man super-human things every week its a shrill call to sack and rebuild

weev link said:
no hall, no le snack, no king, kite knocked out early, lyon wounded, playing in melbourne, the whole team in mourning at poor mrs hall's miscarriage (le snack couldn't even take the field)

it was going to be tough game people, and we didn't play badly, just got creamed by a team in touch up mode

I haven't commented on the game until now. That is pretty much how I read it weev. Ox wasn't sighted and that had a big impact in our chances, some of the forwards didn't play to their potential, but I thought overall it was a good performance from a lot of players. The problem was that the Storm were red hot and I don't know who would have matched them. Clinical was the term Gould used and they were.

weev link said:

i wonder if fans of other teams moan on like this when their lads loose... i wonder?

and so what has orford done???, well, a premiership and player of the year in 08; i swear if they don't do action-man super-human things every week its a shrill call to sack and rebuild

I agree on everything you've said except about orford. There were some basic things in that game which were Ox's job, i.e. kicking on the last instead of Matai. His tackle on Slater which let him go straight past him from a standing start was atrocious, everything about his game last night was rubbish. It's nothing personal against him, he's a great guy and it's been good to have him at the club. But he's just not good enough unless the rest of the team is going great as well.

Last might was a massive form reversal from the Titan's match. I would like to see Manly stay in the comp and at least put in a better performance in their next match than last night. I'm hoping 6,7 & 8 will all lose.
Really I'm still pretty satisfied with winning last year. The back to back fairytale would be great. If it's not going to happen would like to see the boys go out fighting tooth and nail.
And yes if Manly are still in the comp after this weekend then of course they deserve to be there.

Who cares if we don't deserve it.  It only matters whether we deserve it more than 2 other teams in the 8.  If Knights and Parra lose I think we definitely deserve it more.

Agree with niccipops, I would like to see the premiers go out fighting so I hope they get another shot next week even against the broncos up there. On balance, after last year's concluding perfection, and the way this season kicked off, and the bull**** infighting, to be in the playoffs having a go is still a praiseworthy effort even if it does not match all our expectations from the preseason.

We beat all the serious contenders at least once, except the dragons and that was a nothing game due to soo. Injuries to key players all year, above all one of our genuine world class gamebreakers, a full on soo commitment, squad losses from last year never quite recovered from (menzies, bell). it's been rocky but after the shocking start our record was pretty good.

let's get a solid ceo, re-sign some key players , and get well and truly back under the radar again.

Of course we deserve another shot at it this year. That is what the somewhat slender advantage of finishing 5th is all about. Whether we make the most of that opportunity is another matter.

Cletus link said:
[quote author=weev link=topic=181679.msg241253#msg241253 date=1252731464]

I agree on everything you've said except about orford. There were some basic things in that game which were Ox's job, i.e. kicking on the last instead of Matai. His tackle on Slater which let him go straight past him from a standing start was atrocious, everything about his game last night was rubbish. It's nothing personal against him, he's a great guy and it's been good to have him at the club. But he's just not good enough unless the rest of the team is going great as well.
[/quote]

Lots of good folk seem to be hammering Ox for not saving our bacon, and I too noticed that I didn't notice him much in that game. However apart from that long pass to robbo when he had nowhere to go, I don't think he is the one who turned over possession and gave away penalties. Which is what killed off our chances.

The miss on Slater was a one on one against a player who can be quite hard to catch. Farrar got him a couple of weeks ago and was considered a hero. Very harsh to say Ox failed because of that miss.

And Matai kicking may have been a tactic to take heat off Ox, which worked well in last year's GF.

You are kidding  yourself SeaEaglerocks (in your head).  He was plain and simple, BAD.  He has been most of the year.

At first I wasn't fussed if we played another match this season. The result was tragic and I was spitting chips.

But we should never ever consider throwing in the towel. I don't want to see my team exit the finals off the back of a spanking and the boys would feel the same way. They will want to salvage some pride if they get the chance. We have the team to at least be competitive.

On the loss. There are no second chances from week 2 onwards so if there was a time we could afford to lose than this week was it. A spanking might not have been such a bad result in the end. There's nothing like a bit of pain to inspire a positive result. We have a head strong team that can bounce back. If anything the loss was a huge shake up and we now know what to expect should we survive. The Cowboys were in the same position as us in 2005. They finished 5th and were smashed 50-6 in the first week. They moved past it and soldiered on to the grand final.

From here we have to take it week by week. Hopefully the Dragons can do us a favour and put away the Slime this afternoon.

Des has achieved some remarkable results with a club that was dead in the water to begin with. Excluding this season we have improved every year since he's taken over. We've featured in the finals 5 of the 6 years and made two grand finals in the seasons he has coached the Eagles. It's taken 6 years for his side to make a decline on the previous seasons effort which is F**king impressive. We should have faith in the old boy, if anyone can turn this group around he would be the one. I doubt we can win the grand final this year but Des will sure as hell make sure we don't exit the finals series meekly.

I really hope we face the Storm again in the finals series. I think the boys will be ready for them the second time around.

Yes Pittwater, it's always good to see the team running around into September.  Better that than slinking off in August.  We can turn it around as we've done it during the year, but it will be very difficult.  All teams need to lift and we need to lift more than most. 

We deserve to be there.

We are defending Premiers!! Ber proud of that

The team has been hot and cold latley with recent losses to Souths Tigers and being smashed on fri night.

But NRl is so unpredictible.

Who would of thought the Brocos or Parra will make the finals, no long ago they were woefull.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8