Do you smell another Manly Dynasty coming ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There was a time back in 2005 - 2006 where Manly were on the cusp of something Special.
Well as we head into the 2023 season, I have a similar Vibe.
Youngsters with massive talent are arriving at the same time.
I do however feel we need to get that mongrel in the middle on point, to make this come to fruition, but "most" of the building blocks are there.
If you look at the Winning 2008 side it will look far more star studded, but in reality if you look 2 - 3 years earlier it did not and this is where I feel players like Fifita, Weekes, Gordie, Latu Fainu will certainly be well known by 2024/25.
What's the vibe out there Silvertails ?
Are we heading into a special dominant period, or still well off the pace ?

There was a time back in 2005 - 2006 where Manly were on the cusp of something Special.
Well as we head into the 2023 season, I have a similar Vibe.
Youngsters with massive talent are arriving at the same time.
I do however feel we need to get that mongrel in the middle on point, to make this come to fruition, but "most" of the building blocks are there.
If you look at the Winning 2008 side it will look far more star studded, but in reality if you look 2 - 3 years earlier it did not and this is where I feel players like Fifita, Weekes, Gordie, Latu Fainu will certainly be well known by 2024/25.
What's the vibe out there Silvertails ?
Are we heading into a special dominant period, or still well off the pace ?
Maybe. Maybe not.

The big caveat for me is that the Penn influence was not as strong as it is now. We had a seemingly united board under a new management structure, with probably the first evidence of ‘tectonic’ pressures only appearing in late ‘08, early ‘09.

Those pressures and the subsequent unhappiness of Des with Scott and vice versa, may have helped to cost Manly premierships in 2009, 2012, 2013 and perhaps 2014. Manly certainly had teams that were talented and experienced enough to win the premiership in any of those years.

Scott is always finding new and inventive ways to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:
Hoping so but much depends on Salary Cap decisions.

Given 2022 and much the same playing group for 2023 & a coach with a creaky NRL record, I'm not setting my goals higher than hoping Manly don't win the spoon. Anything above that is a bonus.

Didn 't have 3 players taking up almost a third of the salary cap back in that successful premiership era . Or one of the recipients only playing on a partial basis due to injury . Really like the caliber of the emerging guys coming through or getting or established now but will only be of benefit naturally if the club can keep virtually all of them . Think much will depend on how much the big 3 [ well just in terms of cap money ] will receive with any upgraded N R L salary allocation . Most of that is going to be required to keep either the up and comers or other quality players again who are quite established and performing well . Looking promising but again just so dependent on a more evenly spread cap squad dispersal

I think what Al says above is pretty right , if you go back to that era only Steve Menzies was a player of note.

So our salary cap allowed us to make 3 very astute buys,

Jamie Lyon first up

Followed by Brent Kite

And completed with Matthew Orford

Then you add in all those youngsters at the time and yes that enabled us to become a force of nature for almost a decade.

We very clearly don’t have an “ Uncle Nick “ with his connections so we are stuck mainly with the cap awarded to all teams , of which much is taken up by 3 players.

I’ve been banging on for a while saying the missing piece of the puzzle is an agressive , frightening prop the like of JWH.

Things might change in 2023 but our forwards just don’t strike fear into the opposition.

And the other thing is an aging half back , and apparently even after this year taking up a fair swag of $$$$.

I have a feeling we will have to rely on “ Generation Next “ to get us there so we need to develop a half and throw the bank at a Prop ( Flegler would be good ).

Not too sure of A F - Blake "s overall form since he left Manly but he was one guy who was a serious asset to the pack . Alioia and Tent Paseka can contribute well but oh so many injuries in recent seasons , Jake a good mainstay there if that is the present choice , Fifita looks good , Toff and Bulemor thereabouts . Keppie maybe at 13 for whatever time . just have to see how the current prop grouping goes i guess , hopefully a better run on the injury front and for Fifita to really come on this season .

Too soon to make to speak of a Dynasty just yet we haven't got to square one yet. But there are some great prospects in our squad and the boys are tight and ready to bleed for one another. Well done to our coaches thus far.

Not too sure of A F - Blake "s overall form since he left Manly but he was one guy who was a serious asset to the pack . Alioia and Tent Paseka can contribute well but oh so many injuries in recent seasons , Jake a good mainstay there if that is the present choice , Fifita looks good , Toff and Bulemor thereabouts . Keppie maybe at 13 for whatever time . just have to see how the current prop grouping goes i guess , hopefully a better run on the injury front and for Fifita to really come on this season .
Honestly , I’d suggest the Warriors wouldn’t be too happy with their big buy.

He’s either injured , or rarely puts in a match winning performance.

But I’ll admit I don’t watch every one of their games.

hold GIF

Well, just on this morning's perusal of posts by the Silvertails faithful ... I have read every prediction from finishing 2nd ... to another being happy just avoiding winning the spoon ..

So expectations appear to range both high and low ..

I believe we have all the makings of a very good team ... but too early for me to call it great ..

But the next 5 years do look and smell good.

Losing the Shoe with yet another injury fills me with dred. Are we in for another horrid injury season? We will all be holding our breath every time Turbo touches the ball. I believe if those two players, and Guacca and Jurbo, can play most matches then we can be a top four team in 2023. If not, we will finish 9-13th imo.
Generally speaking, since the Penns took over full control we've slipped to be a 'second-tier' club. We can't compete with:
Easts, who can buy whoever they want (which would be funny except it's not, it's condoned cheating).
Penrith and Brisbane, because they have such vast junior numbers and talent pools.
Melbourne, because they somehow have a pipeline into the best talent in New Zealand and Queensland and a winning culture, and
Souths, who have a combination of good juniors and a wealthy and generous owner.

ummmm NO.

Dont be alarmed or think I am negative.

I have never seen one coming. Well i did in 1980 when he signed Boyd, Dorahy and Brown, and Phil Blake was on the horizon, and that never eventuated. I still dont know why. I hate the Eels.

I firmly believe if you think you can see one it most likely won't arrive and you should take off your rose coloured glasses.

I believe they sneak up on you and ususally are 2 or 3 years in before you realise its already under way.

Last edited:
Don't know about a dynasty but we have the playing group including the younger guys that are a year or so away to win a title or two.
As others have mentioned we just need a hard nosed forward leader, the importance cannot be understated.

We have a formidable team starting this year and if we can keep most of our youngsters till 2025 and also with less injuries ,we should have a premiership by then . Let 's go Mannnly .

I'm often accused of being too optimistic on here but I prefer to think I'm measured either way.

Reality is nothing is ever really as bad or as good as the vibe on here.

There is cause for optimism, we have some great kids coming through and with a fit Turbo we have the squad. Add in a fresh coaching staff and things look positive.

Personally I think we'll make the 8 and if things click could pull off top 4.

That said, there are still a few question marks with the squad and no gun junior is ever a sure thing.

There is certainly a world were we miss the 8 and some of these kids are more Aaron Groom then Olakau'atu.

So I think dynasty is premature......but I am optimistic on where we are as a club atm.

Yeah I think a few things need to happen we need to hit mark alot with recruitment more as yesterday was example of missing out.
Internally junior development needs to be kids with talent and keep our elite players fit Tom, Dce, olakau'atu, schuster.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4