Does Burbo cement a Top 17 spot in 2023 ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Many will likely go on the attack but I pride this site on being honest and holding our own opinions, while respecting others..
Well here go's !!
I have not been too impressed at all with Burbo and felt he was basically living off the good names of his Star bros....
Respectfully he has gone up the ladder a way after the trial on Friday night, not just based on a big work rate with solid stats, but he has added much needed kg to his lean 2022 frame and was playing with more aggression and harder contacts on the back of this, maybe confidence from the hard work he has put in off season and also knowing he needs to kick on "now", not be an extra for when there are injuries.
Im not saying he is a certainty in the 17, though I do know the coaching staff rate him there.....personally I thought the main Star on Friday was big Fifita who lived up to and beyond, but I did think Burbo was up with Fainu and Myers and Gordy on the night....which was great to see.
Maybe this Roosters game with more NRL players in both sides will give us a clearer view, but I say congrats to Burbo who seems to be doing everything he can to get out from the shadows of his illustrious big brothers and based on his new frame and what he can bring....maybe 2023 will prove his breakout year ??

I hope we have 17 better players.
Going on plast year Burbo is ok but needs to be consistently better to be in the 17.
That said it won't surprise me when he makes it.

For a couple of years I've been suggesting Burbo is a slow burn, and it will come down to his motivation and desire. His lanky build is quite similar to Isaa Yeo, who took several years to really grow into his body. Even Tapine has become a much more dominant player as he has matured physically with age.
Burbo is good technically. I'll even go out on a limb and say he may end his career as the best Urbo of all!

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

It is easy to forget Burbo is still only 21 ... still young for an NRL forward ... and has been used as both a centre and backrower.

I think he will continue to improve and be a valuable member of the squad .. I don't know how high his ceiling is ... but I do think he will continue to improve ... last Friday was the 1st time I have seen him with the obvious intention of imposing himself on the game ... always a key indicator ..

It is easy to forget Burbo is still only 21 ... still young for an NRL forward ... and has been used as both a centre and backrower.

I think he will continue to improve and be a valuable member of the squad .. I don't know how high his ceiling is ... but I do think he will continue to improve ... last Friday was the 1st time I have seen him with the obvious intention of imposing himself on the game ... always a key indicator ..
But is he top 17 in 2023

He reminds me of brad parker early in his career. Has the build for an outside back or wide running second row, but doesn't threaten in attack too much. For mine he is a depth/ bench signing to cover the starting 13 in 2023.

For a couple of years I've been suggesting Burbo is a slow burn, and it will come down to his motivation and desire. His lanky build is quite similar to Isaa Yeo, who took several years to really grow into his body. Even Tapine has become a much more dominant player as he has matured physically with age.
Burbo is good technically. I'll even go out on a limb and say he may end his career as the best Urbo of all!

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office
I agree.I think he has the makings of a Yeo type player.I think being a Trbojevic has and may hinder him in regards to what people think of his ability.But there’s something about him that I like.The fact is,he’s still only 21 and has missed a lot of his developing years due to either Covid,injury or Des’ refusal to play fringe players in reserve grade.His tackling technique is similar to Jake’s and he has his brother’s enthusiasm and desire

Many will likely go on the attack but I pride this site on being honest and holding our own opinions, while respecting others..
Well here go's !!
I have not been too impressed at all with Burbo and felt he was basically living off the good names of his Star bros....
Respectfully he has gone up the ladder a way after the trial on Friday night, not just based on a big work rate with solid stats, but he has added much needed kg to his lean 2022 frame and was playing with more aggression and harder contacts on the back of this, maybe confidence from the hard work he has put in off season and also knowing he needs to kick on "now", not be an extra for when there are injuries.
Im not saying he is a certainty in the 17, though I do know the coaching staff rate him there.....personally I thought the main Star on Friday was big Fifita who lived up to and beyond, but I did think Burbo was up with Fainu and Myers and Gordy on the night....which was great to see.
Maybe this Roosters game with more NRL players in both sides will give us a clearer view, but I say congrats to Burbo who seems to be doing everything he can to get out from the shadows of his illustrious big brothers and based on his new frame and what he can bring....maybe 2023 will prove his breakout year ??

To answer your question ... I will need you to tell me what Seibs will do with his bench ...

If he goes with my preferred Neanderthal option of 3 hungry props and a genuine #14 ... then no, he doesn't make the 17 ... if he goes with 2 props he is an outside chance.

To answer your question ... I will need you to tell me what Seibs will do with his bench ...

If he goes with my preferred Neanderthal option of 3 hungry props and a genuine #14 ... then no, he doesn't make the 17 ... if he goes with 2 props he is an outside chance.
Assuming paseka & aloai are the starting props, you would think the following would be fighting for bench spots:

Utility: weekes/Lawton (who's apparently back round 3)
Prp: keppie
Prp: sipley
Prp/lock: bullemore
Prp/2nd row:Fifita
2nd row/centre: burbo

Not sure how they all fit at present but like woodsie says - would come down to what type of bench impact/cover seibs is wanting.. burbo has the fact he can cover centre working for him I guess

If Burbo can maintain his intensity and with his versatility , would be making a strong case in the 17. Bully did good , real impetus from Fifita . Samual Fainu not that far of some regular top grade consideration . Zac Fulton is a goer . Maybe a bit harder for Boyle to warrant a spot there Competition is certainly there , Burbo must be well in contention though

The kid is 21 years old, it’s a very small percentage of players who can cement a top 17 spot at that age in the back row.

I think trying to make a definitive call at this stage of his career is quite frankly ridiculous.

• He’s versatile and can cover centre and back row.
  • He’s shown some classy touches at times as a link man on the edge.
  • he’s clearly still growing into his body yet still managed some impressive post contact metres plus good fast play the balls in the trial.

Overall I’m fairly confident Ben will develop into a high quality edge forward. At the same age, the likes of Watmough and Gift also did not appear to be world beaters.

We’ve got another good’n here folks, just need to be patient.

14 Gordie, Roache, John's
15 Fulton/Lawton/Samuel /Burbo
16 Paseka
17 Fifita ,Bully ,Toff
Hard to find room for Burbo at the moment with Jake at lock I wouldn't have 3 props on the bench so unless he can win the edge spot off Tuilagi,I think he will get there but might be a late bloomer

At this stage, it's hard to predict who will be selected as the bench backrower. One factor that could be influential: if Schuster is firing and Burbo is on the field at their same time, their old juniors partnership could reappear and enhance Burbo's selection prospects. However, I would suggest several players will benefit from Schuster's ball playing, e.g. Tuilagi may bag a lot of four pointers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4