Does Burbo cement a Top 17 spot in 2023 ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly seems to have a wealth of forwards for 2024. The back row is especially healthy and I like the idea of Jake sticking to prop, and Olakau'atu, Burbo and Schuster the primary back rowers with Bully and Brown rotating off the bench. I also have hopes for Parker eventually adapting as a strong back rower later in the season. As long as Schuster finds his 2021 form and better, this back row would be potentially one of the best Manly has had. I like Burbo and I think, like his brothers, he's destined for higher honours

Guess that Seibold and the coaching staff would still like to engage Shu [ if he can finally be match fit and offering something worthwhile ] in the pack and that could only probably result in coming on in the backrow for Burbo at some stage or stages
Even as good as Burbo seems to be going at present .
Then have to conscious with interchange timing in general and other possible scenarios .
Plenty of [ or sort of ] anticipation that the Shu can still make a positive difference , the how and when are the only imponderables unfortunately .

You feel that burbo still has some growing to do as well. He will be a very big body after a few more years on the weights. He is pretty mobile and plays instinct footy. I still see him as a pat carrigan type once he develops . Big motor, takes a lot of stopping, and likes the ball

Reckon he could use his frame a bit like gene miles, just growing into first grade bit by bit

Guess that Seibold and the coaching staff would still like to engage Shu [ if he can finally be match fit and offering something worthwhile ] in the pack and that could only probably result in coming on in the backrow for Burbo at some stage or stages
Even as good as Burbo seems to be going at present .
Then have to conscious with interchange timing in general and other possible scenarios .
Plenty of [ or sort of ] anticipation that the Shu can still make a positive difference , the how and when are the only imponderables unfortunately .

The way things are panning out, I see Shu strictly coming off the bench replacing Ben to add a point of difference in the game.
Ben can weather the storm early and take the sting out of the game, then Shu can come on and do his thing against tired legs.
If everyone is fit and firing this is the only option but also a very good one.

Schu coming on as replacement lock as teams tire could work. Perhaps he can put some effort into defence for shorter stints and won't have the make any complicated reads on the edge. Also, he could play inside out with TT quite nicely.

Schu coming on as replacement lock as teams tire could work. Perhaps he can put some effort into defence for shorter stints and won't have the make any complicated reads on the edge. Also, he could play inside out with TT quite nicely.
I'd love to see Shu doing this, and potentially reinventing himself like Dylan Walker did. But it still worries me - our defence is just horrendous when Jake and Croker are off. We need our props (or Shu) to step up the intensity massively for this to work.

13 would be a good fit for Shu in future times if things could work out with his work rate and endurance improving .
Still like the notion of him on an edge again in the short term , he did show at different stages in season 21 that he was just as capable of breaking the line occasionally as well as some creative play
But then the equation comes down to only mainly being on one side of the field and for certain or a certain interval .
Burbo can still no doubt run a good line , as well as his now preparedness to do the hard slog around the ruck area .
And of course all dependent on the Shu coming good again to play some purposeful role .

You feel that burbo still has some growing to do as well. He will be a very big body after a few more years on the weights. He is pretty mobile and plays instinct footy. I still see him as a pat carrigan type once he develops . Big motor, takes a lot of stopping, and likes the ball

Reckon he could use his frame a bit like gene miles, just growing into first grade bit by bit
Ah now you've raised one of my more favoured players. Gene Miles. Like John McDonald, ex Manly in the late 60s, who was also a Queenslander and played many tests, he was big fast, intimidating. We almost had him and Lewis back in 1986. But then if they had come we would have missed out on Cliff Lyons and Michael O'Connor, and they helped us win the '87 grand final, so we did OK.

I think potentially the Olakau'atu, Burbo, Schuster combination could be one of Manly's very best backrows, if Burbo continues to develop into what he looks likely to be and Schuster gets his s...t together..

Ah now you've raised one of my more favoured players. Gene Miles. Like John McDonald, ex Manly in the late 60s, who was also a Queenslander and played many tests, he was big fast, intimidating. We almost had him and Lewis back in 1986. But then if they had come we would have missed out on Cliff Lyons and Michael O'Connor, and they helped us win the '87 grand final, so we did OK.

I think potentially the Olakau'atu, Burbo, Schuster combination could be one of Manly's very best backrows, if Burbo continues to develop into what he looks likely to be and Schuster gets his s...t together..
Lot of pressure on Schuster. it will help his cause if the rest of the pack continues to makes a contribution
It will be interesting to see what Schusters role is, let alone position, pecking order
unless injury , his game minutes may be limted in the short term
Hope he doesnt overcook it .

Manly had quite a few creative players on show last week

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8