Does Manly have the slowest wingers in the comp?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just finished watching the replay on Foxtel.

Blair did everything asked of him. He could get involved even more, but maybe that will come in time. Wolf man did some good things ( we defended the high ball far better as a group ) but yeah, there's some issues still there and when Jorge T n Snake are available, Tooves has some tough calls to make.

Those two come straight back in, so what to do with Blair, Wolf n Hiku will be interesting...

It's actually a good possie to be in really, as far as our depth goes.

Not every winger can have the speed of a Johnny Bliss, Nick Yakich or Ken Irvine, just to name probably the 3 fastest Manly have ever had.

I'd rather the wingers we have than guys who's only assets are their speed over 100m and their ability to fall over the try line with ball in hand.

Martin Offiah may have been regarded as one of the fastest wingers of his time and he definitely knew how to find the try line. But for someone who played in 38 tests (33 for GB, 5 for Eng), his coaches must have cringed every time someone ran at him because his defence was shocking at best. And if there wasn't open space he didn't want to know about it most times.

Jorge, Blair, and the Wolfman may not be the quickest wingers in the NRL (I think that goes to the Titans duo of Kevin Gordon and David Mead), but they offer more than just being able to cover the 100 in a tick over 10 seconds.

I actually saw Offiah play once. The game between Balmain and St George at the Adelaide Oval in 1991 (it was cold, wet, miserable and played under temporary lights as the Oval didn't get its towers until 1997. I loved every minute of it). Damn he was quick, but that's about it and he was very one dimensional. IIRC his opposite that night was a young Tim Brasher. Not ashamed to admit I was cheering for the Tigers that night as they were my dad's team. Only pity is they lost 16-2.

I'd rather have wingers who can stop opposition players before they can start off down field with the ball rather than wingers who miss tackles and have to constantly turn and chase and hope that the FB or someone else in cover can get them out of gaol.

I agree@rivereagle Hiku is certainly in my top 13. I even wonder if Peta isn't Infront of Horhey. Whilst Jorge's strength is his metres bringing the ball back, he is a bit suspect when it comes to catching a ball in the air. Hiku ticks both plus more. I don't even want William Hopate, back just keep Peta Hiku;-).

Cliffy said:
I agree@rivereagle Hiku is certainly in my top 13. I even wonder if Peta isn't Infront of Horhey. Whilst Jorge's strength is his metres bringing the ball back, he is a bit suspect when it comes to catching a ball in the air. Hiku ticks both plus more. I don't even want William Hopate, back just keep Peta Hiku;-).

Totally agree here - sign Hiku long term now. we were stupid not to last year when he played so well when Snake was out injured. The problem is each week his value goes up and up b/c of how well he is playing. So instead of thinking of say 150k a year, the dogs or raiders will offer him 300k….just stupid we have not signed him longer term. He needs to be on the wing and take wolfs spot now. Have him there a few weeks outside jamie lyon and he will score tries galore.

The other one to sign immediately is Jesse - brent Kite eat your heart out….we all thought we would miss Kitey this year but Jesse is the younger fitter and more mobile version.

I struggle to see Tred being a constant top 17 player with the other guys playing so well.

I also struggle to see how Jake T will get a run unless injuries occur as the other guys are stronger and more mature players...

Hiku was amazing last night, he made that one drop near the end but even the best fullbacks make mistakes. Our wingers may not have speed but they are able to help our forwards out when coming out of our own end.

Masked Eagle said:
I love Wolfman and his ticker to come back from injury, time and time again. But I'm not saying anything most people don't know when I say he is one of the worst readers of a play in defence in the comp. For someone who should be so composed because he's playing outside the games absolute best defensive centre, he is so erratic and makes calls way too early.

I saw him tackle and knock the ball out of Jenko's hands, stopping a certain try last night. Plus tackled Taupuo over the sideline, with some help :cool:

Easy to highlight his faults, but disappointing that his contributions to a game is not rated at all.:dodgy:

The behemoths of Souths now Easts, a real challenge for a little guy with dodgy knees :angel:

Maybe I should of started the thread does Manly have the fastest wingers in the comp lol.
Wingers should be Horhay and Hiku when Snake's fit. Horhay and Blair if he's not. Hiku does need to be in the starting 13 somewhere one of our best tonight.

Sheikheagle said:
I think our attack showed us that gifty is irreplaceable.

g'day all,Why?We won and even when he was on the field we never really looked like scoring on that side of the field but the left hand side looked dangerous every time.
cheers mike

He was only on for 18 minutes and killer would have definitely benefited with him being out there for the remaining 62. I would say a much more comfortable win.

We had a quick winger a couple of seasons ago. Oldfiled. How's he going now ? There's more to footy than running fast.

Horhay is first picked when fit. Can break the line and eats plenty of metres. I'm convinced he will play origin some time in the not too distant future.

Hiku is wasted on the wing but he has to bide his time before he gets a centre or fullback spot. I really hope he can stay patient, he looks a good talent that we need for the future.

This is a great sign of just how far our team has progressed since re-entry to the comp as a stand-alone entity. Originally the whole team were whipping boys, then we progressed to hammering our inept halves, then a couple of forwards were our favourite targets (Willo, Princess).

If all we can bag now is a former Test and SOO winger who remains a great try scorer and puts his neck on the line (literally) for Manly every week, all I can say is... Happy Days! :D

HoldenV8 said:
Not every winger can have the speed of a Johnny Bliss, Nick Yakich or Ken Irvine, just to name probably the 3 fastest Manly have ever had.

I'd rather the wingers we have than guys who's only assets are their speed over 100m and their ability to fall over the try line with ball in hand.

Martin Offiah may have been regarded as one of the fastest wingers of his time and he definitely knew how to find the try line. But for someone who played in 38 tests (33 for GB, 5 for Eng), his coaches must have cringed every time someone ran at him because his defence was shocking at best. And if there wasn't open space he didn't want to know about it most times.

Jorge, Blair, and the Wolfman may not be the quickest wingers in the NRL (I think that goes to the Titans duo of Kevin Gordon and David Mead), but they offer more than just being able to cover the 100 in a tick over 10 seconds.

Johhny Bliss hands ( or feet) down.

Whilst I'd like to have some more pace in the team (and probably wingers), it's really not what wingers are about these days anyway. They are more power runners (Taufau is a classic example) that do the first few runs of a set to get it moving forward.

Speed is a fantastic asset. However I think our best winger over the last 10 years has been Michael Robertson, and whilst he wasn't slow, he sure wasn't a speedster.

Killer03 said:
Speed is a fantastic asset. However I think our best winger over the last 10 years has been Michael Robertson, and whilst he wasn't slow, he sure wasn't a speedster.

Robbo was pretty sharp Killer. I thought he was as quick as anyone.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6