Pre-Game Dragons v Manly [Round 4, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

20 12
WIN Stadium
30 Mar 2024 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defence is barely top 8. With momentum, ball in hand, we are fast becoming one of the best attacking sides in the comp, and fully fit, by season's end, it could be an awesome sight.

Unfortunately, we will never be a genuine contender, as the top sides can sustain pressure for large durations in defence, and win when things are against them. After all three games so far, I have as little confidence in this group as I have ever had over the last decade. Best case scenario, it's a repeat of 2021 - great for the highlight reel, but soft as sh*t when it really matters; a team no serious club will be worried about at the business end.

A little perplexed actually. Improvement in general fitness levels, team unity, and personnel (credit must go when it's due)...

but we are still hopeless in the ruck, whether it be losing the wrestle, not shutting down the ball, etc. And our edge defence is still pathetic. Defensively, even our most decorated and experienced players are very ineffective, and continually make poor reads. We quite clearly have a weak mind and stomach for the tough stuff still
We continue to have tacklers taken out of the next play. They are not effectively controlling and peeling off the tackled player consistently enough. Soon as one or two players are taken out of the next play, the defensive line is not able to adjust and are getting caught out to compound the error and surrender further momentum (and tries). Been a problem for the last decade or so.

Just on the from guide in the pre season " Skirmish ' against the Dragons , Manly must be specials .
On a serious note however, haven 't seen the Dragon"s lineup yet but no doubt a quite handy side
Looks like Dragon 's form has been a bit erratic to date but inevitably or usually of course, seem to do well against Manly particularly at their home ground .
Hopefully Manly will hold their game together well enough to get the valuable 2 points to steady the ship again

I was hoping Paulo would get dropped this week, but doesn't seem we've other options. As others said, we need to recall that Wollongong is never an easy away day, especially for us. I think we should still get the job done, but it'll be a 1-12 scoreline imho
I don't think there's anyone to replace Paulo at the moment unfortunately. I agree he's not up to it at the moment. I was also hoping Ray Ray would be replaced by Talau, who I thought had a great game against Roosters. Like Ray's attitude but he's nowhere near fast enough or fit enough. He was gassed in that Parra game - and he wasn't alone, to be fair. I think Talau will come in for him this weekend - despite the team list - unless he's still not 100%.

We’re getting caught out wide especially with the wingers coming in defending,unfortunately it’s most sides these days.What ever happened to using a sliding defence like we used to have under bozo coaching?? The sides using this i.e. rooster,Penrith,melb,broncos are always able to hold out sides defending.

Anger is an energy Bozo

So you could be right, you could be wrong

but the cost so high and the gain so low

could be wrong, could be right

John Lydon says hi
Funny guy , Funny post @Seagles68 :)
Bet there wont be anything funny at training in both camps
Both camps would be disappointed at their loses
Should be a Great Angry game
Bring back the Biff !
1711494740100.png

100% agree.Nothing has changed in defence.The team lacks a hard edged no nonsense leader in the pack,that frightens the opposition,a la JFH or what AFB has finally become.Whilst the team has some of the fastest players in the competition,they still do things at a slow rate.Ruck speed,players in motion,all at pace that is easy for the better teams to negate.A faster speed at the ruck or in general,would make the most of the speed men out wide.Koula always seems to be used as a hit up merchant rather than him having the ball when the opposition are on the back foot.And whilst Olakau’atu has been damaging,imagine how destructive he’d be with the opponent’s back peddling or they haven’t had time to put 2-3 players on him.Whilst most of us support Croker for his tireless work and it definitely shows that the players love him,he poses no threat from dummy half other than the odd 40/20 attempt and once in a blue moon scoot
I agree our defence needs a lot of work and especially in the red zone. However I think the middles have one a pretty good job so far - apart from the Parra game I guess. They really bashed up souths and roosters who both have decent packs - roosters I would say, VERY decent. So I think there's intent there and I'm just hoping that maybe last week was an aberration and we can get back on track this week - fast line speed and hitting hard in defence.

Seibold and Flanaghan have mutual respect for one another
It was not long go that these two friends were on the same side
On Saturday it will be mate against mate and winner take all
1711495139461.png

We’re getting caught out wide especially with the wingers coming in defending,unfortunately it’s most sides these days.What ever happened to using a sliding defence like we used to have under bozo coaching?? The sides using this i.e. rooster,Penrith,melb,broncos are always able to hold out sides defending.
We've been defending like this on the wings for atleast 6 years or so... very frustrating!

I agree our defence needs a lot of work and especially in the red zone. However I think the middles have one a pretty good job so far - apart from the Parra game I guess. They really bashed up souths and roosters who both have decent packs - roosters I would say, VERY decent. So I think there's intent there and I'm just hoping that maybe last week was an aberration and we can get back on track this week - fast line speed and hitting hard in defence.
After we scored the first 2 tries, then came the BS offside penalty, it was virtually all Parra possession wise. I'll go with your "aberration" theory CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8