Dumb and dumber

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
How many dumb penalties and acts of foul play can one side commit in a season?  Surely we've set some kind of record.

Let's hope the boys are made to run sand dunes till they spew through the summer.

That is all.

The 1st 5mins after halftime this year have been disgraceful. In 90% of the games in the opening minute or 2 we make a dumb mistake or give away a soft penalty and more often than not concede a try

Was just finishing sending a message to that effect today when right on cue Ballin sent the ball over the sideline

It's the usual suspects, if it hasn't sunk in by now it never will.

Well Mata

your point is a good one. This team is the dumbest Manly team I have seen in years. This has been exposed of late now that every single thing that goes on is subject to replay driven decisions.

Des is going to have to seriously teach this team discipline for next year. Manly has to change the way they play the game.

It feels like we have been set back exactly 4 years based on the result. However, I sharke my head and remind myself that just two weeks ago we led the roosters 14-0 and were right in the hunt for the top four.

So on to another enoumously long offseason. I hope this enourmously long time will bring some change at Manly in attitude and self belief. 2008 was no fluke, and that attitude can be constructed again. I don't like the fact we have to blood another halfback, though.

NYEagle

Ballin's attempted 40/20 went out by only a foot.  Not a bad effort.  He didn't play that well  today but all the guys put in.  They stopped the widely predicted 'bloodbath' and went well.  Every Manly fan who was at the game appreciated their effort.  We weren't expected to win and weren't disgraced.  If you're referring to the three suspended, I'm in agreement.  Stewart and Matai should apologise to the team.  King didn't do enough to get suspended imo.

NYEagle link said:
Well Mata

your point is a good one. This team is the dumbest Manly team I have seen in years. This has been exposed of late now that every single thing that goes on is subject to replay driven decisions.

Des is going to have to seriously teach this team discipline for next year. Manly has to change the way they play the game.

It feels like we have been set back exactly 4 years based on the result. However, I sharke my head and remind myself that just two weeks ago we led the roosters 14-0 and were right in the hunt for the top four.

So on to another enoumously long offseason. I hope this enourmously long time will bring some change at Manly in attitude and self belief. 2008 was no fluke, and that attitude can be constructed again. I don't like the fact we have to blood another halfback, though.

NYEagle

I personally love it,let Dogkinson go he is almost as bad as Bailey

DSM5 link said:
all the guys put in.  They stopped the widely predicted 'bloodbath' and went well.  Every Manly fan who was at the game appreciated their effort.  We weren't expected to win and weren't disgraced. 
  Poppycock.  The dragons were right for the picking, their throats constricted - what other team would kick 4 consecutive penalty goals like they did?

If we'd played with a modicum of discipline and not given dumb penalties every time we looked like we could pin them up their end we'd have been a chance, as decimated as we were.

The lack of discipline has been something some psoters have banged on about all season.  Yet Des gets to the press conference and either blames the referees, the conditions or applauds 'effort'. 

A reality check is long overdue - part of the reason I hoped we'd missed the finals or get flogged 50-0 today.  If serious intrsopection is not applied we'll dish up the same crap next year and it will kill the club.

Mata ,were you there?  We didn't look like scoring.  Even with 'discipline' we didn't have the talent to get across the line.  If we  had Glenn, Rodney and Matai on the park, yes we would have troubled them out of it imo, but we didn't.  End of story. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=185293.msg293864#msg293864 date=1284287323]
all the guys put in.  They stopped the widely predicted 'bloodbath' and went well.  Every Manly fan who was at the game appreciated their effort.  We weren't expected to win and weren't disgraced.  
 Poppycock.  The dragons were right for the picking, their throats constricted - what other team would kick 4 consecutive penalty goals like they did?

If we'd played with a modicum of discipline and not given dumb penalties every time we looked like we could pin them up their end we'd have been a chance, as decimated as we were.

The lack of discipline has been something some psoters have banged on about all season.  Yet Des gets to the press conference and either blames the referees, the conditions or applauds 'effort'.  

A reality check is long overdue - part of the reason I hoped we'd missed the finals or get flogged 50-0 today.  If serious intrsopection is not applied we'll dish up the same crap next year and it will kill the club.
[/quote]
I can only assume you didn't mean that literally, about hoping we'd miss the finals or get flogged by 50?

Apart from making you sound dangerously like a Saints or Eels supporter, there is simply no logic to that view. I may as well say I'm glad there was poor discipline because otherwise we might have gone close to winning, and then there would be no introspection.

As for Des, what he says at a press conference is likely to be quite different to what he says directly to the players.

With more petrol i the tank and some repeat sets we'd have troubled them once or twice.  And without leaking points from idiocy we would have kept it close.

It was close in some ways, after 67 minutes they still only had scored one try from a kick. We lost Joe after about a 10 minutes and with all the changes to personnel our attack was always going to be up against it.

This year we just couldn't cut it, but not disgraced. Even Bennett said (SMH) we finished 8th but were a lot better team than that. Whatever else about him ,he doesn't bother saying things he doesn't believe.

We need to change the fitness trainer. The team looks buffed but lacked  mobility this year. We need Speeeeeed..........................

DSM5 link said:
Mata ,were you there?  We didn't look like scoring.  Even with 'discipline' we didn't have the talent to get across the line.  If we  had Glenn, Rodney and Matai on the park, yes we would have troubled them out of it imo, but we didn't.  End of story. 

Roger that. The Dragons defence had us easily covered, in fact I can only remember 2 line breaks from us all game. Our only attack was 5 tackles kick to the wing, which didn't reap any benefits. I can hardly remember Lyon getting his hands on the ball in the red zone, which seemed a stupid plan. Poor discipline didn't help but we never looked threatening.

Also let's not forget the Dragons had 2 or 3 tries disallowed or called back for forward passes.

supereagle link said:
We need to change the fitness trainer. The team looks buffed but lacked  mobility this year. We need Speeeeeed..........................
Yes we need speed. Hopefully we will have our 2 fastest players that missed 2010 back on deck for the upcoming season.
I don't think it's fair to blame Donny Singe for lack of speed. Our damn speedmen were injured. You think a different trainer can turn Chris Bailey into Usain Bolt?

Hate saying this but............Attitude was our bigest problem for most of the year.

And that comes down to the coach

Mybludog link said:
Hate saying this but............Attitude was our bigest problem for most of the year.

And that comes down to the coach

I agree.Where was the attitude of '08?It's OK for people to say "Des gave us 40-0,in 08"!That was 08.2 seasons ago.I think a big reality check,and attitude adjustment for a few of the boys in the off season.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=185293.msg294441#msg294441 date=1284371363]

Roger that. The Dragons defence had us easily covered, in fact I can only remember 2 line breaks from us all game. Our only attack was 5 tackles kick to the wing, which didn't reap any benefits. I can hardly remember Lyon getting his hands on the ball in the red zone, which seemed a stupid plan. Poor discipline didn't help but we never looked threatening.

Also let's not forget the Dragons had 2 or 3 tries disallowed or called back for forward passes.
[/quote]  If the donkey had held his line when we were setting him up 1 on 1 against Coward we'd have nabbed a few.

i dont care about the peanlties, the penalties  are part of the game, they even out, what  i hated these past 2 season is the fact we lead by 12 & let it slip away we dont cherish  leads ..  in 07 & 08 if we led a  game by 8 points or more 98% of the time we would win that game , doesnt matter what stage of the game we were leading once we had our noses in front they stayed there..we just knuckled down defended & grinded out the opposition..

The dragons knew they could hold us out, hence the goals. Anything over 1 try was always going to be enough for them and they knew it.

When we played them last time they held us comfortably. We failed to change our game plan at all and did not learn a thing from that failure. 

Very poor coaching.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8