Dummy bids

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Son of Sam did exactly this. Having secretly signed with the Dogs in July 2011, he kept Manly looking to up his Contract extension after the GF, knowing full well that he had committed elsewhere :mad:

Details came out this year, when the Tandy Betting paper scandal came to light, demonstrating Greenturd's modus operandi :dodgy:

So dummy bids are part of contract negotiations at all levels :(

Ramrod said:
silvertail said:
Bidding wars over players have the potential to destabilise clubs.

Broncos want DCE, we want to keep him.

Our club should start making million dollar bids to any best talent coming on the market. This will force the current club to pay top dollar to retain their talent, thus weakening the other clubs ability to have best talent spread across their 25 player roster.

The Broncos are doing this to us at the moment. I believe DCE will stay with us forever, but the Broncos are keeping us honest by forcing us to pay top dollar. Fair enough, he has the right to earn a good living.

Our club should start returning fire! We should start making big bids and hold other clubs accountable for retaining all their best talent on top dollar.

To stir the pot, we should start with a 700K pa offer to Maguire once his contract expires with the broncos. 400K of that counted towards the salary cap and the other 300K pa to come from the promise or potential of a third party arrangement.

Start biting back Manly!

Back in 2005, Craig Bellamy admitted Melbourne deliberately made false bids to keep Orford knowing they were gonna jack up the price for us. All along they wanted Cronk to replace Orford.

I thought we were battling Souths for his signature?

HappilyManly said:
The Son of Sam did exactly this. Having secretly signed with the Dogs in July 2011, he kept Manly looking to up his Contract extension after the GF, knowing full well that he had committed elsewhere :mad:

Details came out this year, when the Tandy Betting paper scandal came to light, demonstrating Greenturd's modus operandi :dodgy:

So dummy bids are part of contract negotiations at all levels :(

He signed with Canterbury so it was a legitimate bid, not a dummy bid. That's the point; a club cannot fake an offer because anything in writing can be potentially signed by the player or coach...

No, he kept telling Manly that he had an offer that he was considering, they ran around to match it - but he had already signed 3 months prior ! He was doing the dummy bidding :mad:

Clubs can make inflated offers, like the Dogs did with Fifita, then re-package the MOU so the Player walks away from it. :cool:
Contracts always have loopholes, they leave room for Lawyers to manouver in.

The "promise" of a future third party arrangement before a contract is signed is one way of getting the upper hand over a rival club. Easy to walk away from and also a good way to express interest in a player if we really want them, without using up too much salary cap space.

HappilyManly said:
No, he kept telling Manly that he had an offer that he was considering, they ran around to match it - but he had already signed 3 months prior ! He was doing the dummy bidding :mad:

Clubs can make inflated offers, like the Dogs did with Fifita, then re-package the MOU so the Player walks away from it. :cool:
Contracts always have loopholes, they leave room for Lawyers to manouver in.

If he had already signed with Canterbury, why would he be doing dummy bidding? He can't jack up his worth at the Bulldogs if he has already signed?! Also, I wouldn't call floating your worth, a dummy bid; these are two very different things. The reason he played dumb with Manly, was to time his announcement, not for financial reasons.

Disagree completely as its all a matter of record, no 'ifs' about the time of his signing mid year.
His reasons for messing with Manly, are known only to him :cool:

HappilyManly said:
Disagree completely as its all a matter of record, no 'ifs' about the time of his signing mid year.

And he not only treated Manly (and their fans) with contempt, and as ''dummies'' for months, he then emphasized his betrayal by trying to poach players and staff away with him.

SoS is now an SoB Dog, no ifs or buts !!

HappilyManly said:

I don't get what you mean? I agree that Des did the dirty on Manly (announcing the signing a couple of days after the FG), but I fail to see how this is an example of clubs "dummy bidding" to force other clubs to pay more :s Further, a coach's salary is not part of the cap, so this is a completely different scenario.

I don't want to come off like I am defending Hasler (I can't stand him), but Manly weren't interested in giving him the contract he wanted, which is why he left in the first place. There was no "running around" trying to match the Bulldogs offer.

http://news.optuszoo.com.au/2014/05/14/bulldogs-coach-haslers-deal-revealed/

“Todd would like to have the letter of offer with the above variation signed on Saturday (27 August) this weekend.”

Correspondence from Hasler to Penn on 26 August states: “Whilst it would be easy for us to be emotional given my long playing and coaching days at the club, I would rather that all move forward from our discussion and enjoy the successes that we have had. In this respect I formally advise you that I will conclude my employment at the end of this 2011 season.”

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7