Dylan Walker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Speaking of concussion is Sam Burgess going to start the season with a lengthy suspension for playing concussed in his last NRL game as he freely admitted?

The NRL's bosses at Ch.9 wouldn't allow it. They are already building their coverage of the All-Stars game and the Rd.1 game between the Rorters and Vermin around him.....cue the voice overs @:(

Dylan Walker ‘used and abused’ by flawed process : Barrister Julieanne Levick
by Daniel Lane

Barrister Julieanne Levick, who represented Dylan Walker during South Sydney's investigation into the incident that resulted in him and former teammate Aaron Gray being hospitalised after taking what was believed to be a combination of tramadol and oxycodone, says the NRL can't be considered to be serious about the prescription drug abuse among its players until the governing body appoints an independent doctor to oversee what is being prescribed.

Levick has become the "go to" legal eagle for NRL stars, representing William Hopoate in his dispute with Parramatta, Robbie Farah against Wests Tigers, Todd Carney v Cronulla, and a host of other matters that kept journos busy throughout 2015.

She has scant regard for the way in which, she says, some NRL clubs don't seem to respect due process and maintains her claim that Walker, who played the season for Souths fuelled by pain killers after breaking his hand, was "sucked in, chewed up and well and truly spat out. Used and abused."

Her own investigations into the use of prescription drugs by NRL players while researching the Walker case should sound alarm bells. As a result she would like to see the NRL create an overarching body to monitor what doctors prescribe to players. She also believes club doctors should not have the job of diagnosing whether a player is concussed.

"The whole Dylan Walker scandal, coupled with other players within the game, means there's clearly a can of worms waiting to be opened regarding the prescribing of pharmaceutical opiates, post-operatively to players," Levick said.

"From what I've observed, the NRL needs to increase its education of the players. The clubs say they're doing that but, having said that, in Dylan Walker's case, South Sydney even recommended themselves that greater education is required.

"There is a compelling case for a body to oversee the conduct of the NRL's club doctors. The doctors need to remember the fundamental of their calling is their duty of care to player/patient – not a football club or coach. From what I've gathered, there's instances where it could appear as though they're acting at the behest of a club."

Levick says some of the stories she has been told would raise eyebrows at the Health Care Complaints Commission.

Levick did not receive any Christmas cards from the NRL chief executives she was pitted against this year (they might have been lost in the mail), but she doesn't care, describing her push for reform – medically and administratively – as worth the fight.

"If it saves a player or two or helps make their lives better, well, let them [league officials] think what they want," she said. "I don't give a damn."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/dylan-w...nne-levick-20151224-glup9l.html#ixzz3vU4jJVgg
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

I think Levick's our only hope of splitting up the boys club at NRL hq....I reckon she might have some contacts she might be able to reach out to if the boys want to play dirty as well. Probably already happened, hence why she's tearing it up down there. Enough of this bullshiit we'll fund another education program. Get the independent docs in now. And make sure they stay independent!, not on the take.
All this player education, there not seven ffs. I had a cpl lengthy chats this year with a very troubled ex-nrl player. He just scoffed at the drug stuff...he said half the guys could be pharmacologists down there, their that cluey...especially the young blokes, anything for an edge. He said until the nrl get serious about it instead of turning a blind eye when convenient, and paying consultancy compancies good money for nothing more than lip service on behalf of the nrl it'll remain the same.

Happiest I've Ever Been : Walker

Jack Brady

Former South Sydney premiership winner Dylan Walker says he is the happiest he has ever been, a mere two months since officially joining the Sea Eagles on a four-year deal.

Trading the sights and sounds of Redfern for the northern beaches Walker has embraced coach Trent Barrett's training style, certainly a change of scenery to former mentor Michael Maguire's rigid ways with the Rabbitohs.

One of 12 new faces at the Manly club, the Mascot Jets junior said he has welcomed the change with open arms as he looks to link up in the halves with Daly Cherry-Evans in 2016.

"They're two hugely different environments. Manly are well-balanced I think in terms of training hard and getting your recovery and rest time. You probably enjoy it a little bit more when you have more recovery and downtime," Walker told NRL.com.

"In saying that we have been ripping in and everyone is looking fit, so it's probably the fittest and the happiest I have ever been.

"It's just been the change. Change is good for you. After winning the grand final I was pretty stoked sure, but now after having the environment around me change as I was heading into another pre-season it's just made me so excited.

"New changes, new faces, everything is new about this club and I definitely see myself being at the Sea Eagles for a long time."

Unsure whether he'll play alongside Cherry-Evans this weekend, Walker is ready to showcase his newfound responsibility against the Ipswich Jets at five-eighth, just two weeks out from season start.

Away from the field responsibility has been a buzz word for the 21-year-old with his shift to Manly coinciding with him moving out of home for the first time – but don't think for a second that Walker is vexed by his clean slate.

"I've had to grow up a little bit and start doing my washing and cooking so that's probably made me a better person and better son maybe as well," Walker said.

"There's a lot of responsibility put me on now but I don't really take that into account too much and I'm just excited to play footy again.

"I'm not looking at it as a big task, I've been training all pre-season and I'm feeling really comfortable with what I've done and what I have worked on in terms of combinations with everyone."

Replacing Kieran Foran would be a daunting task for any number of footballers in the NRL but Walker appears to be taking it in his stride – even if the Australian international has to play alongside a "Queenslander".

"[Cherry-Evans] has all the cash and I tell him to buy me a coffee every now and again but he's not giving in, but really he's been awesome. He's a Queenslander but he's a still good bloke and I have nothing bad to say about him," Walker said.

"We have been training hard all pre-season and our combination is getting better and better every week, even every day, so we just have to put that into practice now.

"I'm not pressured. I have done everything I can in the pre-season and I'm as confident as ever. There's been a lot of time and effort put in and I couldn't have done it without the players around me.

"There's a big difference between coming to a club and the outsiders are trying to put the pressure on, but everyone in the team wants me to do well and knows what I'm capable of so there's been no internal pressure."

Video first featured at seaeagles.com.au

Groan, how many times do we have to go through this. Gutherson left to play fullback, full stop, end of story.
image.png
Fullbacks wear number 5 at Parra. Groan... How many times do we need to be told?

I was teaching at Cromer Primary School when Clinton Gutherson was there. I was looking forward to seeing him play in Manly colours and was most surprised when he went to Parramatta. I hope when his contract is up he comes back here and finishes his career at Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4