Eagles flying high as Stewart stays, with Matai, Williams to follow suit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie said:
bob dylan said:
I can hear the calls of salary cap cheats coming as we hold up the trophy in October.

They just dont understand mateship and team spirit still exists.

btw Ballin will be staying imo.

I agree, he is married to a Beaches girl and has a thriving business on teh Beaches as well.
Can't lose Matty Balin- a great under-valued player and a gentleman off the pitch as well. Time to support his business even further...I need to lose a few kilos.

Brookvale said:
this is great news. thank god we have a great team.

If we had a johns, lockyer, Thurson type stand out player who would have demanded one fifth of the salary cap we would have been in real trouble.

champion team beats a team of champions!

I always agree with this statement. But we now have a fair few earning top dollar. Many champions amonst them. We are lucky to fit this team in the salary cap. The club is making good use of the cap.
Imagine how parra feel. Spending more and getting far less.
Remember that Lockyers last contract was only worth 300k or something....

The bleating has already started. A caller yesterday to Talkin Sport asked how could Manly be under the cap? Hughes response was a smart Alec "Manly aren't the only club I would be worried about". He is still hurting from the dogs cap breaches of 2002 and can't get his thick head around how a team could possibly be successful playing by the rules. Typical corrupt Bulldog mentality. Tooves was spot on yesterday when he pointed out that we already lost three players from the GF winning side last year so there should be room to re-sign all the ones that are left.
The thing I find amusing is that at the start of the 2011 season no-one was even tipping Manly to make the eight with the roster they had, and now, after losing three of those players and signing no-one they can't believe we are under the cap.
Interesting to hear Ewen Mckenzie on the BSB this morning when talking about Will Genia re-signing for QLD. He said players will stay for less money if it means playing with their mates in a successful team. Smart man.

In regards to some comments of how will we keep the players when they all come off contract around the same time of 2015 and 2016.

Wouldnt say if this is Snakes last contract, he finishes up the same time as a couple of the other boys contracts are ready to renew, there is already one player who would free up around 500k per year. That is just one player there may be more also so im assuming the club will be able to retain the same way they are doing so as we speak?? i hope so anyway

NewwyEagle said:
Not even worried about all the contracts finishing in 2015, by 2016 the Salary cap will be much, much higher as the new TV deal will be in action by then, won't it? Perry has also made our club much more attractive to sponsors which is why I think all the players are now much more capable of gaining those previously elusive third-party deals.

That's exactly right, plus we will have a few older high profile players retiring around that time which will ease the pressure on our cap. Actually i think our problem in 2015 will be more about filling the whole cap with talent like we have now as our depth is poor in some areas.

FYI - my 2015 comment was facetious. If Perry stitches all these up I am confident he will have everything humming along for years to come

bones said:
The bleating has already started. A caller yesterday to Talkin Sport asked how could Manly be under the cap? Hughes response was a smart Alec "Manly aren't the only club I would be worried about". He is still hurting from the dogs cap breaches of 2002 and can't get his thick head around how a team could possibly be successful playing by the rules. Typical corrupt Bulldog mentality. Tooves was spot on yesterday when he pointed out that we already lost three players from the GF winning side last year so there should be room to re-sign all the ones that are left.
The thing I find amusing is that at the start of the 2011 season no-one was even tipping Manly to make the eight with the roster they had, and now, after losing three of those players and signing no-one they can't believe we are under the cap.
Interesting to hear Ewen Mckenzie on the BSB this morning when talking about Will Genia re-signing for QLD. He said players will stay for less money if it means playing with their mates in a successful team. Smart man.
All good points. Particularly about the salary cap slur. I think we have the best record of all clubs in complying with the cap. A kneejerk response, as you say, to his own club being busted.

I think we need to have a David Perry banner at our home games from now on, any ideas?

And here we go again this tweet from @lush178 who is Zorba's sidekick on sportal

Manly fans shouldn't get 2 excited re:news Brett Stewart's staying. Mail is it's far fromdone deal & Snake none 2 happy. More t/c on Sportal

Anyone reckon he (Perry) would be getting tips from Arko? He is doing a great job. Stoked we have him.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
And here we go again this tweet from @lush178 who is Zorba's sidekick on sportal

Manly fans shouldn't get 2 excited re:news Brett Stewart's staying. Mail is it's far fromdone deal & Snake none 2 happy. More t/c on Sportal

I really don't care about that negative crap anymore, i got worked up by it with DCE and Foran and it turned out they both signed with us, Lush178 and that greek prick and go and get stuffed. :)

voicefromthehill said:
Great news - but what on earth are we going to do with all these players coming off contract in 2015, we are in real trouble I tell you

I'm hearing you mate.. Quick lets all start panicking now. :p

bones said:
The thing I find amusing is that at the start of the 2011 season no-one was even tipping Manly to make the eight with the roster they had,

Sheepishly put hand up.

This is great news, but I do have 1 complaint who is leaking all these deals before they are set in concrete? Why was Forans deal confirmed on a Saturday night? A press conference would have been good not only for us but our sponsors. Now today it looks like we or someone connected has jumped the gun

Craig 2more said:
This is great news, but I do have 1 complaint who is leaking all these deals before they are set in concrete? Why was Forans deal confirmed on a Saturday night? A press conference would have been good not only for us but our sponsors. Now today it looks like we or someone connected has jumped the gun

While there are player managers involved in the game, there will always be 'leaks'.

Cameron said:
@GrillTeam: @EagleRock11 @Cambo96 The stories have developed since we first reported them ie threats of legal action by Manly.

The Dogs fans bleating about alleged blackmail from Manly should be asking if Greenberg was so pure and innocent why would he be scared off by a blackmailed threat.

RE: Wow, I hope this is true!

Berkeley_Eagle said:
A Great news story and the Telecrap is nowhere to be seen

It seems the exclusives are being 'leaked' to the smh. Maybe because we don't get a fair go with the Telecrap???

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6