Eagles training !

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sure he did, but many of those 'incidents' were not while he played for us.  The suspension was rigged.  He was gone before he appeared, thanks mainly to the hysterical press and the spineless Gallop.  I still think he gave us sterling service, was very popular with the players and us supporters and it was a 'political' move on the part of the club to not keep him on.  As I said, pity. 

He was infamous for niggle and sledge long before he started examining players' orifices.  And anyone who thinks his hit on Galloway was legal lives in fairlyand.

I was there, so was Simpkins and all the rest of us.  It was a huge hit.  Simpkins went to form the scrum from Galloway's dropped ball, all perfectly legal.  Then got the call from the TV man.  Galloway is a sook, and all that hit might have deserved was a penalty, caution and move on.  For any other player sure, but not Hoppa, they were out to get him. 

I'm sure the archives of this site will have a copy of the stills showing Hoppa locking his elbow with his other hand and launching it at Galloway's jaw.

His shot was not intended to take Galloways head off but it was definately illegal and deserved a suspension. 

He hit him high, with his elbow. It is pretty hard to defend it.

However, the 17-week suspension was a bit rich. One of the longest suspensions of all time - it wasn't that bad.

i find it funny that hoppy was practically a clean skin from the time he made his debut until he and toovey got sent off in game 1 1998 for spray news ltd golden boy harrigan.
From time he poked blokes arses he was a hunted man even if he looked side ways.
Makes me sick to think the tigers and that c**t lamb got off scott free when there was evidence he was encouraging it and joking about it in video sessions.

I'll say it again, I just pray that Beaver comes back and plays one game just so Lamb's name is erased from the record book.  He didn't even get sent off for his swinging arm on Hanley in the semi's ( forgotten what year even though was there).  Now that was a travesty.  Hoppa's little indiscretion against Galloway was nothing in comparison.  17 weeks, and the shame of it was, the club didn't even appeal. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=eagle_predator link=topic=179021.msg205204#msg205204 date=1231977770]

Will i agree i hope young Hoppa stays a Eagle for life
  His loon of a father owes the club a huge debt of gratitude, so he'd better. 
[/quote]
Matabele link said:
[quote author=eagle_predator link=topic=179021.msg205204#msg205204 date=1231977770]

Will i agree i hope young Hoppa stays a Eagle for life
  His loon of a father owes the club a huge debt of gratitude, so he'd better. 
[/quote] How does his father owe the club a huge debt,its more like the other way around.
The guy played 13 seasons for us & put his body on the line week in week out,he played
209 games amassing 348 points -He was a try scoring machine.He was instrumental in
96 (premiership by the way),his side of the field conceding less points all season.
His game persona was niggle ,harrass & smash -which he did to the tee.He put players off
their game ,which alot of the times ended up ,winning us games.
He will go down as being one of Manlys legends in the game ,And one of one of the fans favourites through the 90,s into 05.
Were you not a Manly fan then ?,A fan loves it when his team wins ,He won us plenty of games ,How the f&ck does he owe the club ??

Matabele link said:
He was infamous for niggle and sledge long before he started examining players' orifices.  And anyone who thinks his hit on Galloway was legal lives in fairlyand.
Niggle & sledge is part of the game,it is & it always has been ,Have you never played ??.
Also didnt we end up beating cronulla 46-20 that day,that hit pumped up the players & the
crowd. It wasnt a legal hit ,but, so what !!-we won.  Your a old man Mata ,surely you can remember the game was alot dirtier in the day,& the arse sticking in tackles ,wasnt something new to the game ,it with alot of other hidden cheap shots has always been in the game.

Hoppa owes the club nothing, when he played hard but fair he was one of my favourite players

But ........

he was frustrating, at least twice a season he would get suspended for a few weeks for stupid crap (like going off at refs etc) and each time he would tell all that he was a reformed player and clean his act up. But we all knew it wouldn't be long until he disappointed again.

Too be honest his final suspension finishing his career was probably a fitting end.

byso link said:
Hoppa owes the club nothing, when he hard but fair he was one of my favourite players

But ........

he was frustrating, at least twice a season he would get suspended for a few weeks for stupid crap (like going off at refs etc) and each time he would tell all that he was a reformed player and clean his act up. But we all knew it wouldn't be long until he disappointed again.

Too be honest his final suspension finishing his career was probably a fitting end.
Exactly.
As for the Galloway incident I had the pefect view and he ran 25 metres and never pulled out - utter stupidity.

The Galloway incident might have been stupid but no way did it have 17 weeks in it.  The NRL was out to get him just as they are today with Carney.  And Byso, you're a tool, how is being suspended a 'fitting' end to one's career?  He deserved to get back into the game and see out his contract.  He was very good for us when he was on the field, his stats tell the tail.   

All we can hope for is that young Hoppas synapses have a little more spark than his Dad's. I'd like to think that Hoppa Snr has learnt from his mistakes and will pass this onto his son, but unfortunately given his track record I doubt it sincerely.....the guy is incapable of learning any lessons.

We can only hope that young Hoppa is properly mentored by someone at the club, and makes the most of his obvious ability.

DSM5 link said:
The Galloway incident might have been stupid but no way did it have 17 weeks in it.  The NRL was out to get him just as they are today with Carney.  And Byso, you're a tool, how is being suspended a 'fitting' end to one's career?  He deserved to get back into the game and see out his contract.  He was very good for us when he was on the field, his stats tell the tail.   

DSM5, you wanker............. he was suspended many times and every time he said never again, he constantly betrayed the trust of manly fans, the coaching staff and in the end Delmege. Who put his neck out to give him another chance when all were willing to let him go. How did hoppa repay Delmege? by doing a very stupid act (again) and getting a deseved 17 weeks for that shocking attack on Galloways head. Now that's a tool.

byso link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=179021.msg205332#msg205332 date=1232239881]

DSM5, you wanker............. he was suspended many times and every time he said never again, he constantly betrayed the trust of manly fans, the coaching staff and in the end Delmege. Who put his neck out to give him another chance when all were willing to let him go. How did hoppa repay Delmege? by doing a very stupid act (again) and getting a deseved 17 weeks for that shocking attack on Galloways head. Now that's a tool.
[/quote]  I agree with Byso.  Manly gave Hopoate far more than he gave us.

'Deserved', my arse.  17 weeks, then the bullet, were not 'deserved'.  Sure his hit on Galloway was high but those on the field, and those watching did not see illegality.  No linesman ran on.  Simpkins was on the spot, and as I've said, was going to pack the scrum.  If it had of been any other player that would have been it, apart from Galloway going off.  Sure Hoppa had a bad-boy reputation, so what.  And Byso, what 'neck' did Delmege stick out?  Was that the same one he stuck out for Monnas?  In my opinion the club let Hoppa down by not appealing the 17 weeks.  It surely would have been reduced if they had of, or maybe there's the conspiracy.  Anyway the guy trains with the squad and holds no grudges, and tipped his kid into the Eagles which says a lot for his character. 

Hoppa did not deliberately set out to wipe Galloway's head off but it was a hit gone wrong. On its own it did not deserve 17 weeks but Hoppa was a known offender and the media was baying for blood. His poor record came back to bite. The atmosphere at the time was that the club should accept the penalty and take it on the chin. Sponsorship and public appeal are important in a club and Manly needed to keep a high level of credibility in its rebuilding process. Even the fans at the time were divided as to his penalty and many on here earned the ire of the 'true supporters' by saying good riddance. Just because noone on the field first saw the hit as illegal doesn't say it wasn't high. It made the club look to the future beyond Hoppa and enabled them to make the hard to decision to let him go.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6