Eastern Hill going ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I love the hill as well, but if it has to go to keep the team (and that means playing out of Brookvale) then that's OK. If no team, then no league for this guy. Better a team than a hill.

lovefooty said:
manlywarringah said:
In a design that was posted a year or so ago, they were keeping the hill and building a grandstand behind it.

The hill may be smaller than what it is now but i thought there was at least half the hill in front of the new stand.

I also thought they were trying to put terrace type of seating in front of the Jane Try Stand all the way down to the fence.

I'd imagine there would be a few different versions depending on costs.

A smaller hill is a must for me as i'd hate to see it go altogether but love the idea of a stand behind it to house more comfortable seating and corporates.

We need the corporate dollars coming in to match the other teams.

I asked a director today and was told there will be no hill on the eastern side. Its gone.
I was told that if the hill stayed then manly would be playing out of the S F S. Thats the commerical reality of it.

I loved the hill but I love the eagles more and want them to keep playing out of Brookie.

Not a hard choice.

Well done to Kerry Sibraa for his hard work again.

We have all known this day would come, but of course there are a few one-eyed fans that don't realise that we have to have a significant amount of seating to stay. Also it would cost a lot more to build on top of the current stands when that won't cater for more corporate and public facilities.

Even the Dragons who have 8,500 seats at Kogarah may have to move the SFS or ANZ, but will still stay at WIN Stadium.

Kiwi Eagle said:
So if the hill goes how can that space only hold 4300 ? Something doesn't seem to add up there

I think that's only 10m to 10m or tryline to tryline and doesn't include corporate seating.

Kiwi Eagle said:
So if the hill goes how can that space only hold 4300 ? Something doesn't seem to add up there

The story says 4300 undercover so that would be the top section and the back of the bottom section, you couldn't classify all of the seating as covered.
So a rough guesstimate would be about 8k total seating which I think is about what the stand at Kogarah holds.
I may be wrong but surely they wouldn't build a stand that holds only 4.5k.
What is the capacity of the Jane Try stand?

Hope the club can do some like the roosters chook pen where's there's a unreserved section members can sit together as a supporters group.

You can get an estimated count of the seats pretty easily in the picture and the end bays are approx 15 X 25 and middle bays 25 X 25, there are 2 end bays and 5 middle bays and that makes a total of 3875 so capacity of 4300 seems right.

As such this is a horrible design and going to kill manly through less numbers on the big games as well as no atmosphere. Capacity would be down by another 2 - 4 thousand. on the current 21K so we will now have a 17 - 19K ground. Stupid option when you have the Fulton/Menzies stand behind the hill option that is well liked by almost all providing similar capacity in undercover seating, corporate, food and ablutions whilst keeping the hill. That option can be seen here http://media.pitchcare.com/L/3Y4CC2QVIQ.jpg. It keep the brookie feel, character and charm where as the eyesore in the DT is just bad in all aspects.

StuBoot said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
What is the capacity of the Jane Try stand?

The public capacity according to Ticketmaster is 1,668 for the Jane Try Stand and 628 for the Western Concourse.

CAMBO said:
Hope the club can do some like the roosters chook pen where's there's a unreserved section members can sit together as a supporters group.

That would be good, especially for people who have the banners and big flags on the hill.

manlywarringah said:
In a design that was posted a year or so ago, they were keeping the hill and building a grandstand behind it.

The hill may be smaller than what it is now but i thought there was at least half the hill in front of the new stand.

Was this the design you are talking about mate?

I must admit, I think this is about keeping the hill for the sake of it. Not sure it's practical.

http://tinypic.com/r/30aqjw9/5

I'd be disappointed in the entire hill going but maybe their original designs didn't work with trying to build a stand behind the hill. I wondered how they would actually be able to do it.

I don't sit there anyway as i have a seat in the Jane Try Stand but the hill is so popular. I agree that comfortable seating is a priority as well as more corporate seats. We need the dollars.

If the new design can't cater for 20,000 people on game day, i think we will still have to move some of the bigger games away. A capacity of 17-19000 is about what it is now. It would be nice to think 30 million could get us a couple more thousand seats somehow.

We need to compete with the more popular teams who drag in over 20,000 a few times each year.

As long as we play 8 to 10 games a year at Brookie, i'll be very happy.

simon_eagle said:
manlywarringah said:

I must admit, I think this is about keeping the hill for the sake of it. Not sure it's practical.

I think it was when they were having the council asking for ideas as to what they would like done with Brookvale Park. I remember someone gave a link and there were designs as to what the new ground would look like.

One design had another tier on top of the Jane Try Stand and there was another design with a stand behind the hill. It was to be connected to the Fulton/Menzies Stand.

Good luck finding it. I'm sure some whiz will be able to retrieve it from somewhere.

manlywarringah said:
I'd be disappointed in the entire hill going but maybe their original designs didn't work with trying to build a stand behind the hill. I wondered how they would actually be able to do it.

I don't sit there anyway as i have a seat in the Jane Try Stand but the hill is so popular. I agree that comfortable seating is a priority as well as more corporate seats. We need the dollars.

If the new design can't cater for 20,000 people on game day, i think we will still have to move some of the bigger games away. A capacity of 17-19000 is about what it is now. It would be nice to think 30 million could get us a couple more thousand seats somehow.

We need to compete with the more popular teams who drag in over 20,000 a few times each year.

As long as we play 8 to 10 games a year at Brookie, i'll be very happy.

According to the plans released by the Telegraph, the capacity will be 23,000 with the new stand.

23,000 would be great.

I doubt we would have to take anymore than the 2 games away that we do now.

I hope it all comes to plan.

Some links..

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/08/11/1225903/690053-footy-field.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/10/01/1226155/244845-brookvale-oval.jpg

simon_eagle said:
manlywarringah said:

Yes, that was it. I thought it would be nice to keep a bit of hill like that but wondered how much room would be left for the stand

As long as we get more bums on seats & corporate dollars, it'll be good for the club.

Mals said:
The Who said:
HappilyManly said:
Wish they built a Northern Stand instead, connected to the Jane Try Stand.

It would stop the winter winds and have the same seating capacity as the eastern hill :idea:

I agree. I'd also like to see the existing stands improved and heightened to increase seating capacity before they touch the Hill.
It would be a sad day if the Hill was dug up, but if it is the only way that we get to play at Brokkie then so be it. I just believe there are other options that should be considered first.
Anyone on Silvertails a structural engineer? I doubt it would be possible to safely, substantially increase the height of the existing stands.

Yes, i am.

You are correct. To go upwards you would also need to go backwards and there is no room for that. And it would look stupid.

I know we all love the hill but we have to accept that this is just the way it has to be.

The alternative of the SFS is just too unpalatable to even contemplate.

At the moment, the stands look like they have been cut and pasted from various grounds from different eras. I hope Abbott doesn't withhold the money. Labor will crucify him if he does. Lets all hope construction starts sooner rather than later. I'd love to see Manly's future at Brookvale sured up.

simon64 said:
At the moment, the stands look like they have been cut and pasted from various grounds from different eras. I hope Abbott doesn't withhold the money. Labor will crucify him if he does. Lets all hope construction starts sooner rather than later. I'd love to see Manly's future at Brookvale sured up.

A few articles I have seen have said the Fulton-Menzies Stand will be upgraded aswell, which I reckon will be a bonus.

simon64 said:
I know we all love the hill but we have to accept that this is just the way it has to be.

The alternative of the SFS is just too unpalatable to even contemplate.

Our Future is Brookvale oval and also the Liberal parties economic polices and I believe our local hero Abbott will deliver on both counts .
Lets give the bloke a chance to prove himself before we tear him down.

manlywarringah said:

manlywarringah said:
I think it was when they were having the council asking for ideas as to what they would like done with Brookvale Park. I remember someone gave a link and there were designs as to what the new ground would look like.

One design had another tier on top of the Jane Try Stand and there was another design with a stand behind the hill. It was to be connected to the Fulton/Menzies Stand.

Good luck finding it. I'm sure some whiz will be able to retrieve it from somewhere.

http://yoursaywarringah.com.au/document/show/304

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6