Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 16, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
34 CommBank Stadium
17 Jun 2023 17:30
79:12 minute

Match Stats

Gutherson is popular because he is a fitness fanatic who gets the most out of his talent, he is always courageous under the high ball, he has great vision, and, most importantly, he has footy nous and a massive competitive drive.
It's just a pity Manly didn't recognise those traits years ago when he wanted nothing more than to be a Sea Eagle.
We did… we just thought he was busted after 2 ACLs…
Not saying it was a good call but you can at least see why it was made… I have no idea how the hell we could not identify Hynes and JWH as keep-at-all-costs propositions…

Dropped a ball/missed a tackle/gave away a penalty, any one or all three in a row, the maggots score. Rinse and repeat.

How Gutherson wasn't sinbinned for clattering into one of the forward's legs while threeothers were holdinghim up, third/fourth man in early in the match is a complete and utter mystery....complete and utter tongue in cheek mystery ffs.

Thread from 2009 with posters views on JWH leaving Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

And one on Hynes and Manly more recently Nico Hines
$320K for 2 years, well now it makes sense why we let JWH go… how can you compete with that money when we needed to hold on to Pretty-boy Rose?

These days we are throwing $800K+ per season to blokes that can throw a no-looker but rarely show up to work and have achieved nothing (for the record - I really do hope that this post ages as ‘well’ as some of those others from 2009)

* popular with the commentators.

Opposition fans can't stand him.
As a person his behaviour is borderline something I’ll refrain from writing….

His heart, sole and effort as a player is something oppositions fans cant stand because he doesn’t play for their club.

I admire the bloke as a player and wish we had a competitor of his caliber in our side

Last edited:
As a person his behaviour is borderline something I’ll refrain from writing….

His heart sole and effort as a player is something oppositions fans cant stand because he doesn’t play for their club.

I admire the bloke as a player and wish we had a competitor of his caliber in our side
No doubt. He is a great competitor and extracts every last ounce of talent he possesses.

I think by now its obvious, Mr Reasonable here, is into stats. In the U.S. games are dissected by stats and kids even know players by a whole range of stats. Coaches depend on them to tell them where problems lie.

I look at this Manly side and what am I seeing. A collection of talented young footballers some with exceptional abilities. And I'm not just talking of Turbo, DCE and Jake. We saw the week before the excellence of Garrick, Schuster, Croker, Olakau'atu, Paseka etc. So what happened? Only two players were missing from that side, DCE and Turbo. Are they together responsible for a 70 point turn around. They're good but not that good. Three things they bring though is determination, organization and self belief. Remember they thrashed the Dolphins, who were ahead of them on the table and have now been thrashed by a team below them and not setting the world on fire. What happened?

Against the Dolphins, Manly retained possession 58% of the game, had an 80% completion rate, 92% tackle efficiency, missed only 19 tackles and had 4 ineffective tackles. Now look at Manly against Parramatta. Possession only 38%, Completion rate 66%, Tackle efficiency 84.6%, Missed tackles 42. Ineffective tackles 25. Some players missed a lot of tackles. Keppie 7 (though we can forgive because he made 40 tackles), Olakau'atu missed 4, Croker 5 and the player many are commending, Koula, missed 5 with only 8 successful tackle completions.

So why such a dramatic turn around. They say possession is 9 tenths of the law. Works in football that way. You cant win games without the ball. You also cant win if you don't tackle as a unit. Bob Fulton always ensured his teams tackled until they fell. That, and possession of the ball is why he succeeded.

In a sense Penn is right. This team is a group of champions or potential champions not being coached as well as they should be. Its not functioning like a team. For some reason Barrett, Hasler and now Seibold have not got this team functioning weekly like a team. That's a coaching issue, more than a player issue. Two essential ingredients. Tackle. Ball possession. Parramatta did that without their champion players. Manly didnt. Coaching. Clever players need to be in an attacking position to utilise their skills. Manly didnt yesterday because they were on the defense for the entire game. Coaching.
100 percent agree with this. Des did the best out of the three you mention.

Siebold is only new and very inexperienced i suppose.

Dropped a ball/missed a tackle/gave away a penalty, any one or all three in a row, the maggots score. Rinse and repeat.

How Gutherson wasn't sinbinned for clattering into one of the forward's legs while threeothers were holdinghim up, third/fourth man in early in the match is a complete and utter mystery....complete and utter tongue in cheek mystery ffs.
The King wasn't even charged by MRC , Typical.

It wasn't just the fact we lost (losing to Parra always hurts) but its the way we lost. Sure we had some influential players out but so did they. There are 2 other threads re Dynasty and Spoon. Answer is "we are way off" and "we are in the mix".

We lack the competitive edge that the top sides have. We are flat track bullies but when the blow torch is pointed at us we wilt. How can a side that belted the Dolphins by 40 come out and dish up a ****e sandwich like that?

Listening to David Riccio on SEN this morning, he said he was at the game and could hear Seibold give the team one of the 'all time great sprays' after the game. He said it was unusual for Seibold who rarely uses that part of his coaching kit bag, but showed the immense disappointment he had in the performance.

For me that was the most disappointing game of the year given how evenly matched the teams were with the players they had out.

Listening to David Riccio on SEN this morning, he said he was at the game and could hear Seibold give the team one of the 'all time great sprays' after the game. He said it was unusual for Seibold who rarely uses that part of his coaching kit bag, but showed the immense disappointment he had in the performance.

For me that was the most disappointing game of the year given how evenly matched the teams were with the players they had out.
We’ll I’m glad to hear that, they well and truly deserved it, I’d go as far as to say it’s long overdue. I hope he gets a lot tougher on the group from here on in.

I‘m with you on the disappointment side of things, especially throwing in the fact our season pretty much hinged on winning that game as well.

He probably didn't want to spray them too early as he's new... get them on side.. earn respect... then you can spray them.

Let's see if they react.

If there are players that get their nose out of joint from a spray, after putting in that effort, we don’t want them in the team (not suggesting there are, but more to the point that it’s fair game after such a poor showing).

We’ll I’m glad to hear that, they well and truly deserved it, I’d go as far as to say it’s long overdue. I hope he gets a lot tougher on the group from here on in.

I‘m with you on the disappointment side of things, especially throwing in the fact our season pretty much hinged on winning that game as well.
I've been wanting to hear that from someone for a while now. Whilst I don't believe raving and ranting for the sake of it is good, the time has come where some players need to get that staying focussed every week is the only way you win games. Too often it seems that after a good win, the headlines they get seems to delude them into thinking they will just win the next game. This is despite hearing all the same platitudes during the week about one game at time blah blah blah.

To be fair, he was into them at halftime as well. At least they demonstrated more determination in the second half.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8