Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 3, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 CommBank Stadium
24 Mar 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I may be a Parra fan, but I was just pointing out something I noticed from a Parra perspective. There was no gloating intended
No problem at all, mate. It did not feel like gloating to me:)
But the particular problem I saw with Manly edge rushing in on an intentionally deep, set attacking line, instead of using the sideline, is a problem that can be fixed
I hope you are right. But we have shown no signs of addressing it for years.

Speed factor and the addition of Brooks and Garrick in the centres is definitely a plus , and agree if Sabb played , could have made that subtle difference .
Just on the speed factor, how good was it to see four Manly players outpacing the Parra defence when Garrick made that break and put the kick through that Turbo scored from? Paulo, Haumole (!) and Koula could have also grabbed it.

Just on the speed factor, how good was it to see four Manly players outpacing the Parra defence when Garrick made that break and put the kick through that Turbo scored from? Paulo, Haumole (!) and Koula could have also grabbed it.
That’s why the suggestion by some on ST’s to chase Corey Oates,is peculiar,because that’s the very reason he’s not being picked by the Broncos,a distinct lack of pace

Another of the many BS calls against manly here below.

Manly penalised for offside when every active player in the d line is 100% onside

even the commentators said this was a bS call

Attachments

• IMG_7186.jpeg
    IMG_7186.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 65
Another of the many BS calls against manly here below.

Manly penalised for offside when every active player in the d line is 100% onside

even the commentators said this was a bS call
And the one where Paulo is pushed into touch after we got the penalty for their short drop out not going the 10, the second man in may have just got there but then tackle completed and they push his arm over the sideline with the linesman standing right there, that was early in the tackle count, so frustrating to get so many dud calls.

Yes a relatively poor game by Burbo, hopefully just a small speed bump in his development. Although, not sure why he was left alone to tackle Paulo on his own so close to the line. Jake was slow coming across.

Yes, he was @Sheikheagle I believe that this situation is symptomatic of a bigger problem we have in the forward rotation. Quite simply, there were times yesterday when the much larger Parra pack outmuscled our pack. With Paseka and Aloiai off the field, Jake and Bully as our props, and Brown in at lock, we looked pretty small in comparison to the Parra pack incorporating RCG and Paulo, etc.

Obviously, we will resolve this situation partly in a few weeks, with both Sipley and Lodge coming back into the middle rotation. In my opinion, this will not solve the main problem. With Jake in at prop and Brown into lock, we don't have the size in the middle to match the bigger packs in the competition. This situation applies when we only have one of Paseka, Sipley, Lodge, and Aloiai on the field at the same time.

This is potentially for the last 60 minutes of the game, the same 60 minutes in which we lost yesterday. We have to find a way to get two of our bigger middles (Paseka, Sipley, Lodge, and Aloiai) on the field at the same time during the last 60 minutes.

This may mean fewer minutes for Brown and potentially Jake, who may also need to spend some time on the bench. Unfortunately, we know what happens to our middle defence when Jake is off the field. For this reason, I know it's unlikely that Jake will ever be benched as part of our middle rotation.

In my opinion, the situation with Jake being slow coming across yesterday can be put down to the work he does in the ruck and the fact that he is expected to do this for eighty minutes every game.

Yesterday, our middle rotation was ineffective. Bully had a poor game, Waddell tried hard, and Brown played above his weight as usual. However, combined, they will never be the answer to Manly developing an effective middle rotation against the bigger packs in the competition when Paseka et al are off the field. I believe most of our other issues stem from how we rotate our middles. Unfortunately, there is no simple solution to the problem.

If you watch the replays Garrick is actually the problem and not Paulo in a few of those tries. Most of the time Garrick is getting sucked in to a player thats already marked and leaving a two man overlap, Paulo has no option but to rush in.

We were up 14-0 after what, 15 minutes?
We had 90% of the ball in that time.
Anyone knows that it wouldn't stay that way, when possession swung their way so did the scoreboard, three tries each at h/t and possession was pretty even.

The referee always has an influence when possession is 50/50 as one decision can make or break the game.

Yeah, we should've been better in areas, it wasn't about not closing out the game, not after 15 mins.
Summed it up perfectly, the off-side penalty that the 9 commentators were critical of all said that's not a penalty. That was the turning point to me, maybe we've just got to defend these bad decisions a whole lot better. We'll dust ourselves off and come out swinging next Sat at the Gong.

If you watch the replays Garrick is actually the problem and not Paulo in a few of those tries. Most of the time Garrick is getting sucked in to a player thats already marked and leaving a two man overlap, Paulo has no option but to rush in.
Maybe, but he's not supposed to rush in and miss!

The more I look at this game, it could be a "good loss" if there is such a thing.
Manly skipped out to an easy 14 point lead and there's no doubt we copped a few dud calls at that point, to gift the opposition opportunities, but this will happen in many games to EVERY team and we notice it more as Manly supporters...this is where more resolve is needed, it's not an excuse to leak easy points and I felt whenever they got into our 20m line there was a chance they could jag a try.
The thing I do like is there seems far more pride in our defensive line in 2024, but still lacking execution in communication and the Garrick/Paulo edge is very shakey at best, but the effort from the players is there - you can see it, you can feel it, but still need to tweak a few things, but I always believe if that if the desire and willingness is there, your a long way towards improving.
Even the late fight to nearly pull the cat out the bag showed great character, but there were a few silly drops and the little moments that add up to big moments that got us in the end.
I agree with everyone who feels we copped some rubbish, but such is life and we need to stand taller when the chips are down and show the winning resolve to be true title challengers....we have much good to take out of that loss and it's time to get angry and make these Dragons feel the brunt of the Seaeagles next weekend !!

call it conspiracy, at a full house bankwest home game, 14 nil, the ref knew what he had to do . we still had ample opportunities to win,
1. Turbo last line of defence has and is pedestrian
2. DCE did not link up with Ola as they do
3. our wingers defence is our main liability, no coach seems to know how to fix it, our sliding inside defence is the issue
4. Garrick is not a centre , he raced away on the wing to set up that try
5. Jake needs a min 10min spell to get some rest , he is not 21 anymore
6.after a few seasons Im not impresssed with Koula, does not know how to run a line between defenders, he stops, skips and runs into them. he is only good in clear space, his defence is found wanting on many occasions,
7. IMO we should try Talau/Koula in the centers , garick to one wing and saab the other

I may be a Parra fan, but I was just pointing out something I noticed from a Parra perspective. There was no gloating intended

I actually think Parra played really badly yesterday and the game could have gone either way

I just noticed Parra were using a particular play repeatedly against Manly, that they don't generally use

The Parra halves don't usually float so deep off the line and wing, using the backs to draw the defense

They usually dig into the line a little deeper, to draw defenders to themselves, before the pass option

I know all teams are susceptible in different ways on the edge. And Parramatta has an edge problem all of its own

But the particular problem I saw with Manly edge rushing in on an intentionally deep, set attacking line, instead of using the sideline, is a problem that can be fixed

What I was hoping in my last post, is that an analytical Manly fan could tell me, if this was a usual Manly tactic that Parra identified and exploited?

Or, was it just a defense tactic that Manly adopted to try exploit Parramattas usual style of attack?

I am a very rational and analytical person.

I do not gloat, because I know if you give it, you make yourself a target to eventually receiving it

I'd much rather be friends with fellow football fans. Then poke at them for feeling the same pains and passion I do

We all love the same game

I still think Manly will make the finals this year

I've actually got money on it being a Manly Vs Parra final

I was just trying to offer some of my own insight here, from a Parra perspective. Hoping to receive some insight in return from a Manly perspective

Take it or leave it

But, I come in peace ✌

We're a welcoming bunch in here. Give it a few days. The nerves are still a little exposed. @:(

The biggest concern was we looked to have just gone back to the give it to Tommy show before doing any work in the line. Brooks worked him nicely up the middle but a common theme yesterday was Tommy trying to beat them on the outside with little room or doubt created in the line first. He was just trying to burn them off with power and speed but need to stretch the line a teeny bit first

First 20 minutes. Is the best footy a Manly foot team has played in a decade well over a decade.

Our two big forwards dominated early. The entire teams wrestle in the ruck is vastly improved.

I really like Seibolds post match comments. There's a learning to be had, we still should have won. Players should have adapted and wrestled the possession back.

It's a loss. But the good parts seen in that game. If fit and healthy this is absolutely one very good footy team this year.

Last edited:
It seems to be a habit that every winger the team has,in the last few years,has done it.I understand the reasoning for it,but most of the time the winger automatically rushes up without assessing the situation.Many times over the years,if they just waited that split second to make a better judgment,the tries could have been stopped.It comes back to the winger and centre having trust in each other
Agree. Mark your own player not the guys next to you one. It's the centres job to mark his own player. You look after your one. Learn't that in F grade as a kid.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8