Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 3, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 CommBank Stadium
24 Mar 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I think these "errors" were after playing against a team with 90% of the ball
Not sure if ppl recognise the impact of defending 20 sets to 1, but it makes an impact on mistakes/errors.
You can train it, but go to Eels stadium with todays calls and I say NO team including Penrith win that game

The thing that pi$$es me off is that for all intents and purposes, Luca Moretti had clocked off as Corey Parker said. When he realised that Jake wasn't getting the ball, he literally gave up on the play and had zero intention of trying to get to Turbo.

And for that, the Worms were rewarded with an obstruction penalty that Annesley will tie himself in knots in the morning trying to justify.

So the bunker has to spend minutes analysing and trying to find a loophole to take the try off us. Fuming 😡
Every time we play parra. Corrupt.They guy came across and touched Jake.
Then that penalty a minute later when the parra throws himself on the ground.
I’m marching towards nrl headquarters carrying a giant gnome, Basil Fawlty style.
Go Manly!
Well get them back at Brookie.

All factors contribute to a loss you can’t blame errors if you don’t want to blame dubious calls , You can’t blame bad calls if you don’t factor in errors

Errors or lack of errors is the one certain thing in footy that we can control.

If we made 6 less errors - 4 in the first half, we would have won comfortably imo.
All we did was give possession to the eels

Began with the bull**** offside penalty when we had the pinned in their 10 at 14-6 or 12 nil I forget.
And then the second half began with that ridiculous obstruction call against Garrick, who turned around to follow the flight of the ball only for Moses to run into the back of him. I swear Moses was waving his arms around at the ref before he even hit the turf.

So yeah, the referring was not great, and it was made even worse by the Bunker's creative intervention to deny Koula a try. They were desperate to deny that one because the Parra players (guess who?) were screaming that the last pass was forward. They can't rule on that, so they came up with Jake "obstructing" a lazy Parra defender who was buggered and stopped to catch his breath by leaning on Jake's back.

But really, we were just not clinical enough with the ball. One more try would have got us the win, but we made too many errors to make it happen.

Enjoying game, great start where the boys lost their way a touch with errors.

Looked fatigued in the middle, Croker Tent and Jakey with 30 to go.

It’s great to be watching a good competitive team, the no call on the Koula try was a crap decision, nobody with common sense in the bunker..
Reffing was awful. That said from the start I thought our middles didn’t really get on top - but Parra were given help there as well. The Koula no try was as bad as you will see. But what was worse was the blatant attempts by the ref to drag Parra back into it in the first half. Up 14-0 and them stuck in the corner after 3 tackles, I reckon all of us said, “here comes a penalty to Parra” and from there it was one after the other. We got no 50/50s

i said at the start of the week in a few threads that the Ref and bunker will do everything they can to get Parra a win and that’s exactly what happened

NRL is scripted and a joke
As much as I think the refs performance was poor they didn't drop the ball or miss the tackless. We sucked almost as much as the refs. If am allocating blame I'd say 30/ 70 refs / shxt Manly play

Manly were disappointing today - insufficient intensity following big efforts in the first two games. A cavalier start, but too many mistakes allowed the Eels to get back into the game. The Eels stuck to their game plan and dominated possession & field position. They played to their strengths with multiple offloads, a long kicking game & effective kick chase. I think we would have had a better chance of winning if we had played a more traditional game, allowing Haumole & Koula to become more involved.

The explanation is simple if you watched the match without Manly beer goggles on.

Manly started making stupid errors and Parra scored of many of them. Aloiai dropping the hall, Ben T sloppy play the ball, Paulo running too close to the sideline and gets bundled over it. Give away a couple of penalties

That is eels get 90% possession and embarrassment is to Manly, not the NRL.

The explanation is simple if you watched the match without Manly beer goggles on.

Manly started making stupid errors and Parra scored of many of them. Aloiai dropping the hall, Ben T sloppy play the ball, Paulo running too close to the sideline and gets bundled over it. Give away a couple of penalties

That is eels get 90% possession and embarrassment is to Manly, not the NRL.
You got no clue so all is good.
And they were Vodka goggles - I hate beer.
Manly made a few mistakes no doubt
Did you not see Manly forcing errors to Eels ??
Jumped out to 14 - 0 and got the old level ups.
I'm confident Manly will beat them comfortably with a fair shot and will happen, so don't stress

Third time in 5 years getting rorted at Commwank. Pretty much expected at this point but all we can do is move on and take it out on the Dragons next week.

We did get destroyed through the middle but I’d put it down to them having an extra few days of rest from last week and the incessant home crowd whinging and gutless reffing. With the roles reversed at Brookie next month we will flog them

Also, Moses is the biggest drama-queen in the league. Every single time he is caught out, he throws his arms up and looks straight at the referee. It becomes pathetic after the dozenth time you notice it...
So does his (unfortunately named) mate Joey/Freddy/Darcy/whatever Lussick.

I hate blaming refs for losses, and we let in some soft trys, but fmd, the minute we hit 14-0 and looked unstoppable is the minute we got penalized out of the game...
It's bad when MULTIPLE TIMES the commentary team need to ask what was that penalty for, or say how absolutely disgusting a decision against us was...

From the dud penalties and 50/50 calls against us, to turbo being taken out without the ball, to Brooks being held down after the break with no professional foul, to koulas try being called back for a joke obstruction of a bloke that had no interest in chasing Tommy, it was a disgrace... And it really needs to be addressed because it's absolutely corrupt

66 points against in 3 games isn't going to get us anywhere near top 4. They need to improve goal line resilience.
Came here to post just this. We will struggle against the top teams with that defence. Cleary would eat us up with that shyte, Munster Hughes paps the same. The ref was a massive C he literally killed us at every turn but 28 points is 28 points.

Ps that jake obstruction was total BS

Once parra started getting penalties and 6 agains the ref just got caught up in everything and lost all perspective. Completely embarrassing and amateur hour.

it was hard to watch it unfold, but it was so obvious.

Began with the bull**** offside penalty when we had the pinned in their 10 at 14-6 or 12 nil I forget.

Seriously manly should have taken the 2 points to make it 16-6, then start again from the kickoff.

Sometimes slowing the game down and resetting is the best approach
I agree. I thought at the time that Was a poor decision.

The 2 offside penalties given against Garrick and Croker were massive in the context of the game. This was when we’re finally wrestling back a little bit of momentum and the ref just blew a penalty to their relief. Both of these were both clearly not penalties.
There where countless 6 agains not blown in our favour that imo clearly where.
This was extremely hard to watch knowing the refs where blowing us out of the game he whole time.
Very disappointed to say the least

Here is one I missed during the game.

TURBO FLICKS WRONG SWITCH

He is among the best fullbacks in the game but Manly’s Tom Trbojevic was caught out badly against Parramatta. In the 32nd minute at CommBank Stadium, Parramatta had a first half scrum feed 10 metres from Manly’s tryline. Trbojevic packed into the scrum at lock with Parramatta shifting quickly to their left side with NRL debutant Blaize Talagi crashing over the top of Manly’s fullback to score out wide. Trbojevic desperately scampered from the scrum to defend a try but it was too little too late for the Manly star. We’re not sure why Trbojevic wasn’t in the defensive line. Players move everywhere around a footy field these days and it’s not the first time an outside back has packed into a scrum but this was a costly defensive blunder.

Tom Trbojevic packs down at lock. Picture: Fox League

Tom Trbojevic packs down at lock. Picture: Fox League
Tom Trbojevic scrambles to get across the field. Pic: Fox League

Tom Trbojevic scrambles to get across the field. Pic: Fox League
Tom Trbojevic nearly pulled off a great tackle despite being out of position. NRL Imagery

Tom Trbojevic nearly pulled off a great tackle despite being out of position.

I had issue with a few calls
  • the penalty for offside at 14-0 when we were 3/4 tackles into a defensively dominant set, the longshot replay showed noone active offside
  • Dylan Brown not getting sin binned for professional foul - off the Brooks break
  • Morgan Harper not getting sin binned for a professional foul - off the knock on when Aloiai jumped on the ball
  • The obstruction call was incorrect as the defender was not obstructed by the lead runner in sliding accross, he obstructed himself by giving up on the play
  • The successful Dylan Brown challenge for DCE "raking" vs unsuccessful Aloiai challenge for Tuilagi(?) raking it? - i thought they were identical yet had different rulings

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8