Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 3, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 CommBank Stadium
24 Mar 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

The team started great & then fell away - over to you Seibs & staff!
My 2 cents worth...take Paulo aside for a little career chat.
Plus, have the coaching staff work extra hard with Jamie Humphreys to get him up to speed asap, as his spark & ability is needed.

So happy ( but unhappy) so many others noticed Mitch Moses constant bitching and baying for penalties....it was driving me mad. Was constant in every set of the game....

Daly always seems polite and respectful with the ref's and today showed this just doesn't work.

Getting amongst it skipper !!

The team started great & then fell away - over to you Seibs & staff!
My 2 cents worth...take Paulo aside for a little career chat.
Plus, have the coaching staff work extra hard with Jamie Humphreys to get him up to speed asap, as his spark & ability is needed.
Yeah not unhappy with the effort.. just the discipline and the errors and I wouldn't bother giving Paulo the chat.... he's ending his own career week by week and he's playing like he knows it. Get rid

Let’s hope they are consistent, can of worms this rule for me though..

BUNKER GETS IT RIGHT

Sorry Manly fans, it wasn’t a try.

The rules are clear that if a decoy runner stops in the defensive line then it is an obstruction.

It’s point A in the NRL’s laws and interpretation around obstruction.

Sadly there isn’t any common sense in rugby league when it comes to the bunker.

It’s either black or white and Jake Trbojevic stopped in the line, impeding Parramatta’s Luca Moretti. Moretti was buggered and wouldn’t have gotten near a runaway Tom Trbojevic but that doesn’t matter. Tom cut back through the hole created by Jake.

Jake’s decision simply gave the bunker a chance to intervene and deny the try.

And that’s exactly what they did. Decoy runners are told to either stop short or push through the defensive line. The decision ruined Manly’s comeback but, when you peel back all the motion, it was the correct call.

The obstruction call in the Parramatta-Manly game. Picture: Fox League

The obstruction call in the Parramatta-Manly game.

Yeah, the Dragons at Wollongong has "danger game" written all over it. They've had two bad losses and will be desperate for a win. We need to be very wary of a slip in our intensity.
Even when Manly were in their pomp,Dragons in Wollongong were their nemesis.Then it’s Penrith,Warriors away and who knows what Titans team will turn up in rd7.Theyve conceded 13 tries already this season,the defence has not improved one bit

Moses and Lussick appealed and threw arms up and just pressured the ref into giving them calls.... they only got 1 in 20 that they appeals for but that was still about 10 we've gotta learn from this.

We are very passive when dealing with the ref's.... bring back Tooves as Captain.
Ye moses and Lussick all game with the hands up instantly every tackle. Bitches

• 👍
Reactions: Ned

BUNKER GETS IT RIGHT

The rules are clear that if a decoy runner stops in the defensive line then it is an obstruction.

It’s either black or white and Jake Trbojevic stopped in the line, impeding Parramatta’s Luca Moretti. Moretti was buggered and wouldn’t have gotten near a runaway Tom Trbojevic but that doesn’t matter. Tom cut back through the hole created by Jake.

And that’s exactly what they did. Decoy runners are told to either stop short or push through the defensive line. The decision ruined Manly’s comeback but, when you peel back all the motion, it was the correct call.

Who wrote this shyte?

BUNKER GETS IT RIGHT

I think it’s a can of worms if they awarded a try.As they said,the rule is black and white.If they start awarding a try based on if the person in the Bunker thinks the defender wouldn’t of got there,there will be inconsistency,given it’s not the same person in there every time.

We lost that, errors, poor discipline.

The ref, bunker filthy, beyond a joke.

Thought our bench let us down, duck bought energy all be it too late.

I agree with others Garrick is a quality winger and we are losing out in this transition thus far.

Our wingers today were…….. well poor is being kind.

Thought Tom had a couple of scoring opportunities, one in the first and one in the second, not sure why he didn’t just run to the line, he probably would of scored on both occasions, not sure why he didn’t back himself, he normally would of.

DCE has to stop this panic kicking and occasionally take his medicine.

Its 2 points we should come away with today, on a positive we didn‘t throw the towel in at any stage, errors cost us in the end and not being able to shut down there second phase sucked the petrol dry.

I agree.

But I think the period in the second half when they had 91% possession was the reason why we were too gassed to stop the offloads.

Without that period, I reckon we would have been a lot more effective in the middle. The defence out wide is still a worry though.

I think it’s a can of worms if they awarded a try.As they said,the rule is black and white.If they start awarding a try based on if the person in the Bunker thinks the defender wouldn’t of got there,there will be inconsistency,given it’s not the same person in there every time.
Play devils advocate, what about when they make these calls on penalty try situations?

Such a frustrating game to watch & yes there were some bad calls made by the ref & mistakes made by us but it’s encouraging that we were in it right up until the very end.

The last few years we would have thrown in the towel in the face of such adversity but the boys never gave up & very nearly won it.

Promising signs for the rest of the season & proves the first 2 rounds weren’t flukes.

It’ll be good to see how we are once Sipley, Lodge & Saab are back.

Play devils advocate, what about when they make these calls on penalty try situations?
They’re not consistent with that rule either but you can’t have a black and white rule for a penalty try given there is plenty of variables that come into play.This obstruction rule is plain as day,unfortunately it is soft as well,given defenders just need to do a Mitch Moses and act like you’re obstructed

The Parra player in question was roughly 3m away from the attacking player. Will we start penalizing players for obstructing opposition players that are even further away?

The Parra player in question was roughly 3m away from the attacking player. Will we start penalizing players for obstructing opposition players that are even further away?
I’m not agreeing with the decision as the defender made no effort other than to tap Jake and throw his arms up,but the rule is black and white

They’re not consistent with that rule either but you can’t have a black and white rule for a penalty try given there is plenty of variables that come into play.This obstruction rule is plain as day,unfortunately it is soft as well,given defenders just need to do a Mitch Moses and act like you’re obstructed
That’s the can of worms for me, common sense says Morretti doesn’t get there, it leaves me thinking how he was obstructed,

Though the rule is the rule and there is no denying that..

We lost that, errors, poor discipline.

The ref, bunker filthy, beyond a joke.

Thought our bench let us down, duck bought energy all be it too late.

I agree with others Garrick is a quality winger and we are losing out in this transition thus far.

Our wingers today were…….. well poor is being kind.

Thought Tom had a couple of scoring opportunities, one in the first and one in the second, not sure why he didn’t just run to the line, he probably would of scored on both occasions, not sure why he didn’t back himself, he normally would of.

DCE has to stop this panic kicking and occasionally take his medicine.

Its 2 points we should come away with today, on a positive we didn‘t throw the towel in at any stage, errors cost us in the end and not being able to shut down there second phase sucked the petrol dry.
I like Stokeseys summary
We copped crap calls
Could have done better at times also
Will stick with its tough to keep momentum with so much adversity, but maybe that ugly game we needed to lose
Let me add Eels would have beaten most the competition today

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10