Fainu Bros sign with Tigers.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
In the last two seasons we have let go at least six talented young players who the club had pinned its future on. Two to Illawarra; The three Fainus Brothers plus Feledy to the Tugers. There are others, such as Preston who is now an established NRL player with Canterbury...
Is this a deliberate strategy to give up on juniors and buy established players? If so, why can't we be more like Easts and recruit really good NRL players, such as Lenu from Penrith and Young from Newcastle who will be joining the Roosters next season?
Had the club pinned its hopes on all the young players they’ve let go or was it simply manager & media speculation/beat up?

Sione Fainu, Tuitavake & Fifita still haven’t played first grade at the 2 clubs coming 16th & 17th.

Suli was a dud.

Feledy was let go a few years ago now & is still under 19.

Can you imagine how much it would have cost the club to keep those 5 players happily at Manly all these years & the impact it would have had on our salary cap?

Surely as soon as a player receives an upgrade he has to be included in the top 30?

Meanwhile Manly have kept Saab, Olakau’atu, Schuster & GCKT.

Had the club pinned its hopes on all the young players they’ve let go or was it simply manager & media speculation/beat up?

Sione Fainu, Tuitavake & Fifita still haven’t played first grade at the 2 clubs coming 16th & 17th.

Suli was a dud.

Can you imagine how much it would have cost the club to keep those 5 players happily at Manly all these years & the impact it would have had on our salary cap?

Surely as soon as a player receives an upgrade he has to be included in the top 30?

Don't forget Koula,BenT,Paseka and supposedly looking to re-sign Humphreys.
Who am I to say anything,managing a salary cap is probably a piece of piss.

Suli was a dud.

Informative, but why would other clubs recruit these players if they we either "too costly to keep" or simply no good?
It seems we are casting off any hope for future success by letting our young talent go. It's not like we have bought any superstars in recent years.

Informative, but why would other clubs recruit these players if they we either "too costly to keep" or simply no good?
It seems we are casting off any hope for future success by letting our young talent go. It's not like we have bought any superstars in recent years.
While the onfield results haven't reflected the $ spent, it has cost a lot to keep guys like Schuster, Koula and Haumole.

There appears to be the belief that we are right on the edge of a premiership "window" and need a couple of more polished players to achieve this i.e. Brooks over Latu

Now to be clear this is not something I agree with as even if we were (which we all know we are not) there is a continual balance between bringing through the next generation while maintaining some of the current if they were successful.

It is something I always think Des did not get enough credit for in 2011 when he essentially created the core of a new team with kids (and also the shame he did not stick around as I think we were on the cusp of a real dynasty)

Latu ceased to be in manly's plans when they signed Brookes. Latu presumably didn't want to wait until dce retired and manly presumably didn't want to keep paying him a mint to play for blacktown. It sounds mutual to me.

I think Sam went as a package deal with his brother.

Was Brookes over Latu a good choice? We will have to wait and see.

Suli was a dud.

Great post.

I've noticed the thread about Fifita and Alec T has gone quiet the last month while they languish in reserve grade for the bottom team.

Maybe Latu and Samuela become stars...who knows really.... But the facts so far are that those let go the last couple of years have not been missed.

Unknot your bloody knickers you lot!

Potential is just that. Potential.

We have so many players not performing up to what we expect from our Manly first grade team that to wring your hands over the departure of a couple of young kids who have the potential (there it is again) to do something one day is a complete waste of time.

Rookies do best (especially halves) when they're introduced into an already quality functioning squad (good luck at the Tigers kids) and we don't have that..

In good old Rugby League terms, let's get the basics right first.

And don't get me started on the time and money and angst the club poured into that family. And if they don't see that and don't think it's worth more than a constant push for an upgraded contract, c'est la vie says this old folk.

Well very dissapointing but obviously more to it. I tend to think we will end up regretting this one.

Prefer it be the Tigers than some other clubs though.

So we’ve lost two kids with potential , nothing else.

May be a disaster , may be a masterstroke.

I’m sure there’s valid salary cap reasons why , and I’m just ( at this point ) trusting the club executives to prove to us they are making the right decisions.

Only time will tell.

I’m sure there’s valid salary cap reasons why , and I’m just ( at this point ) trusting the club executives to prove to us they are making the right decisions.

Only time will tell.
The point is, Mark, that this is not a one-off; it's a trend. And for fans like me who try to watch and follow Manly's junior teams and the emerging players it is really disappointing. I'm old enough (as you are) to remember the glory days of being able to watch third grade, reserve grade and First grade at the same venue on the one afternoon, pinpointing players as they progressed up the grades.
Why should I care these days?
The player movements are passion killers.
The way I feel now I'm seriously thinking of not renewing my membership, which stretches back many decades.

Only time will tell.

Could these salary cap reasons be a case of history repeating ?-
Des had a bit of form in this regard

The point is, Mark, that this is not a one-off; it's a trend. And for fans like me who try to watch and follow Manly's junior teams and the emerging players it is really disappointing. I'm old enough (as you are) to remember the glory days of being able to watch third grade, reserve grade and First grade at the same venue on the one afternoon, pinpointing players as they progressed up the grades.
Why should I care these days?
The player movements are passion killers.
The way I feel now I'm seriously thinking of not renewing my membership, which stretches back many decades.
Sadly mate the game has changed.

I’m with you 100% BUT realistically who do we have today that are really rusted on

Turbo / Jurbo / Burbo

Cherry ( despite not being a local )

Park’s

Maybe Croker/ Keppie

The rest , just journeymen.

And the younger generation , all self entitled , no loyalty , all wanting bigger and better and more and more money ( driven no doubt by their dick agents ).

Our reserve grade isn’t even a Manly side!

Most of the youngsters will go to other clubs , just like we will steal others of theirs.

It’s just the way it is.

I’m less invested than ever before , but doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan.

I think you can still enjoy games ( especially when we win ) without getting emotionally attached , that’s my view anyway.

Last edited:

Suli was a dud.

Schuster's salary would just about pay for the 6 young players (Suli was not mentioned).
And Schuster is an over-hyped dud, compared to any one of these kids.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10