Fair analysis of defensive errors.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
anyway, i agree it is poor form to 'hang' Wolfman, but for the last couple of years his confidence has been a rollercoaster. I'd prefer Hiku, and Taufua ahead of wolfman at this stage of the game.

I think in general the forum is easy on people having an ordinary game now and then. Unluckily for Wolfman, they became more common

Horo has been ordinary in defence, but went ok against the cowboys.

The Wolfman looks at least 5kg lighter than when he played representative football and he's getting smashed doing hit ups. He used to be quite dangerous when returning the ball with his acceleration and step just before impact. At one stage after getting belted in the first half he seemed to be yelling at a teammate. He doesn't look like he's enjoying his football at the moment.

Plenty of poor reads on Friday night. A fair few could be put down to a general lack of intensity. If you aren't on your toes ready to move you'll be flatfooted and take the easy option instead. Happened plenty of times on friday night and there would be barely a player who didn't have his copybook blotted.

I'm someone who has been critical of Wolfie, but I've always premised it with I love the way he plays but he has made quite a few ordinary reads in defence and a fair few of them have been almost identical in situations. Not really sure how that can be disputed.

Personally if I was Hiku I would of taken up one of the other offers, he might be a steady winger but he is going to be waiting at least 2 years depending on if Manly extend Lyon or Matais contract to increase his worth in a more valued position.

So basically at the end of 3yrs he would not have had much opportunity to show more than what he offers now on the wing and the next contract will reflect this stagnation.

Most of the upside is with Manly establishing depth and cover while at the same time building up replacement centers in Hiku and Tafua in 2-4yrs.

Once the above players move into the centres one of the vacant wing positions will be left open for the next fullback to take over Brett depending on how long Brett lasts. Last couple of seasons he is still playing on average 20 games a season but his try scoring rate is dropping replaced with more finishing off backline plays with some assists.

PS I don't consider all final passes as assists in my way of analyzing.

Snake giving Brent Tate's defence a bath was where the match was won. Tate's always been a good attacker but his defence is often suspect. Tate backed off when he shouldn't have before Snake released Matai with a jaffa of a pass for the opening try. For Taufua's first try , Tate came up quickly , planted his feet then couldn't adjust quickly enough as Snake provided the money ball to Matai for Taufua to score. I particularly enjoyed Taufua's 2nd try from an inside ball from Matai to Snake which targeted the space between Tate and Lui (designed to expose Lui's lack of pace and inability to cover) . This worked to pefection.

Most defensive decisions wingers have to make are a result of poor decisions inside them. Quite often a winger can shut it down by timing his run or being decisive, if not it was most likely a try anyway

Its great when a winger can fix an inside error but they shouldnt be bagged for most of the inside errors . I say most.

Foz was just as vital to our winning @driftout.

Scoring the equalizer and creating the winner for Ferris was as good as Snake's touches of class. Between them and Gifty's workaholic effort, Horhay's finishing...just about the difference on the night.

Agree there was a seeming lack of intensity for long periods, but I think guys playing busted kept us down a notch, too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7