[Resurrected] First spoon is coming!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not to be rude but what point are you making here?

You believe that is a strong squad or weak one?

Broncos problem that season was the spine was awful, Darius was done and whilst they had some brilliant young talent (Haas, Fifitan Carrigan, Staggs etc) they werent yet ready to carry the load.
I dont think you are being rude
I think you just asked an honest question and I will give you an honest answer

I believe that that squad of talent is not a wooden spoon squad
They may have not won the comp but they are not a wooden spoon squad
Darius may have been done but this team has talent all over

Tim Sheens in his prime won a premiership with a young and inexperienced but talented tigers team in 2005

Ah dear it is so predictable. The end of Manly, our first spoon etc etc @:D
For anyone bored enough to be looking at this thread, can I direct your attention for a moment to the date of the thread's creation...
Ah!
Surprised GIF by ION
Hopefully we can start winning again and those anxious wooden spoon thoughts disappear as we make our way up the premiership ladder :)

Ah dear it is so predictable. The end of Manly, our first spoon etc etc @:D
For anyone bored enough to be looking at this thread, can I direct your attention for a moment to the date of the thread's creation...
Ah!
Surprised GIF by ION
It’s almost as boring as threads relating to sacking a coach or CEO after only 11 rounds.Yet here I am commenting on it.

I dont think you are being rude
I think you just asked an honest question and I will give you an honest answer

Darius may have been done but this team has talent all over

Tim Sheens in his prime won a premiership with a young and inexperienced but talented tigers team in 2005
Fact is it was a wooden spoon squad.

Talent (and speed ;) ) alone do not define a succesful football team.

Coaching, confidence, footy smarts, fitness, some luck with injuries and a million other things play into it.

That Brisbane team was sprinkled with some big names and some precocious talents but it did not all come together.

Thus they were indeed a wooden spoon squad

Well they are a wooden spoon squad.

Cause they won the wooden spoon.

round 11, 2022 under Des, 10 points, 10th position -40 F/A
Round 11 2023 under slybold, 11 points 12th position -36 F/A
only thing thats changed is the coach and several players in / out.
it can only point to one thing. we simply dont have the players with appropriate skills and mindset to compete for NRL top 4 spot.
Development and talent seek is the real issue.

Fact is it was a wooden spoon squad.

Talent (and speed ;) ) alone do not define a succesful football team.

Coaching, confidence, footy smarts, fitness, some luck with injuries and a million other things play into it.

That Brisbane team was sprinkled with some big names and some precocious talents but it did not all come together.

Thus they were indeed a wooden spoon squad
Tim sheens inspired a very similar young and inexperienced team and won the unwinnable grand final

Trent Barrett took a team with the likes of Turbo boys AFB and DCE to second last

The moral of the story is
Its not what you have but what you do with it :)

Last edited:
Tim sheens inspired a very similar young and inexperienced team and won the unwinnable grand final

Trent Barrett took a team with the likes of Turno boys AFB and DCE to second last

The moral of the story is
Its not what you have but what you do with it :)
Tim Sheens 05 Tigers spine was Hodgson, Marshall, Prince and Farah.....thats is far removed from Bird (who I pretty sure got injured anyway) Milford, Croft and Turpin.

Sheens also has the Tigers in last place this year.

The coach will always be a contributing factor to results, but will never be the sole contrubuting factor.

Tim Sheens 05 Tigers spine was Hodgson, Marshall, Prince and Farah.....thats is far removed from Bird (who I pretty sure got injured anyway) Milford, Croft and Turpin.

Sheens also has the Tigers in last place this year.

The coach will always be a contributing factor to results, but will never be the sole contrubuting factor.
Milford was at his prime , McCullough was also the hooker in the squad and he was the current QLD hooker , Croft was no cooper Johns . Forwards win big games and they had Haas Fifita and Cariggon
So that was a gun side in their own right but the coach could not fire them up past the wooden spoon and that was an underachievement
I agree that the coach is the contributing factor and this is why he goes before the players do when results are not there

Manly has been rubbish since Friday 8 August 2014 at about 8.30pm. At that point, after being robbed of the 2013 grand final, Manly were in first place on the ladder when they played Souths at the SCG. Manly led 4-0 early. Then lost 23-4 and the rest of the season went out with a whimper. Been nothing noteworthy ever since.

[The game ending chicken wing tackle on Matai inside the first 5 minutes should have been a send off in my view. Burgess was suspended for 2 games]

294ba6d661a1bfad011a5d7d4967d74b

Last edited:
Milford was at his prime , McCullough was also the hooker in the squad and he was the current QLD hooker , Croft was no cooper Johns . Forwards win big games and they had Haas Fifita and Cariggon
So that was a gun side in their own right but the coach could not fire them up past the wooden spoon and that was an underachievement
I agree that the coach is the contributing factor and this is why he goes before the players do when results are not there
I never saw that side as a top 8 team. Certainly not a gimun side. But hey, opinions.

That said they did massively underachieve buy finishing with the spoon.

Seibs has to do something about our left side defence (21 tries +). So who is out there?
Cooper Johns, Telma Tuilagi, Brad Parker and Reuben Garrick... and Turbo on the weekend (what was he doing on the wing?).
Johns - tries hard and saved a certain try, however, I think Tuilagi moves in to try and cover him
Tuilagi - I haven't seen his stats, however, I think he moves in, making his outside backs also move in exposing the winger to space
Parker - great defence when one on one, however, not when the opposite centre is faster and can step him, like Cronulla's first try
Garrick - quite reliable, however, where was he with each of Cronulla's left hand tries?

Our defence on both edges is not good, however Saab and Koula are improving each week. Haumole has a real problem changing direction and too often rushes up looking for the 'big hit' and when he misses, he's left lying on the ground watching a player run by. He jogs up in attack and then accelerates and needs to do that in attack.

The Sharks played enterprising football in the first half, fast play the balls, shifting it right and left, with players running at full pace, looking for offloads, whereas our guys, with 38% possession, just tried to 'grind' it upfield, and without DCE's kicking and chase, it was abysmal.

The nearest support when Paseka made his break, were still setting up for the next play, 30m behind. Two years ago, Turbo would have seen that coming and would have been right inside or outside him, as would have DCE, or at least someone.
So,

When Seibold coached Broncos to the spoon in 2020, after 9 rounds they won 3 matches. They never won another match after round 9

After 9 rounds Manly have won 4 matches. We haven't won since round 8.
We have a pretty horrible draw for the rest of the year as well Only dogs, roosters (4 pines) and tigers are possible wins

Raiders, knights Parra, storm, warriors, sharks, dragons, roosters all away games and probable losses

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8