Footy Show - Andrew Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I suppose it makes a change from talking about Karmichael Hunt playing AFL and interviewing Sonny Bill Williams about his desire to play for the All Blacks.

At least they did something rugby league related.  ???

The show has totally lost the plot.

Here is the problem in a nutshell.

We still have people questioning if this behavior is acceptable. With no offense meant to anyone here, who I am sure have the best intentions, It is not.

Clear as that - this is unacceptable.

The sooner we realize that this type of talk is never acceptable and move on from it the better, because despite our intentions people are truly offended by these kinds of statements, and to a much greater extent then being called a red-headed prick.

I am talking from experience here, working in Chatswood I have been the subject of what many here would call reverse racism a number of times, being told I didn't deserve my job because I was a typical Lazy white **** for instance. I am not thin-skinned and have been called all kinds of names, normally it doesn't upset me at all, but frankly I was offended.

Yeah , very predictable. Honourable in some way , but mainly dumb arse comments as a defence.

About the only one who didn't kiss up was Scott Prince.

Today's Herald/Melbourne Age carries the story below on Robert Dipierdomenico saying something equally as offensive:

New racism row engulfs AFL legend 'Dipper'
MEGAN LEVY
June 18, 2010 - 12:46PM

AFL legend Robert DiPierdomenico has admitted that he described fellow Brownlow medallist Gavin Wanganeen as "not too bad for an Abo" at a public function last week, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said.

The AFL is today set to suspend DiPierdomenico as an Auskick junior football ambassador over the comment - made at a Hahndorf Football Club function in South Australia - in the second racism row to engulf the league in as many days.

Demetriou told radio 3AW today that, while he believed the Hawthorn legend did not have a "racist bone in his body", his comment was "stupid, ignorant and totally unacceptable".
As Auskick ambassador, DiPierdomenico worked with children from across Australia.

He said DiPierdomenico, better known as Dipper, could not continue in the short term in his role as an ambassador for Auskick, a program that introduces primary school children to the game.

He would make a statement later today about DiPierdomenico's long-term future with the program.

"I don't think he can continue on in that gig in the short term because, you know, as I said earlier it's a really unacceptable thing that he has said and one that we will deal with, and deal with swiftly," Demetriou told 3AW.

Demetriou said his staff had spoken to DiPierdomenico this morning, during which he acknowledged that he made the racist slur.

He said DiPierdomenico was "very remorseful" about his behaviour and would speak publicly about it later today.

Demetriou said the "great irony" of the situation was that DiPierdomenico had spent the past week in the Northern Territory fishing with former Essendon hero Michael Long, who has been a leader in fighting racism, for an upcoming 60 Minutes program.

That documentary would focus on the role he plays with some of the AFL's young indigenous players who had just travelled to South Africa.

"He has been an incredible ambassador for children and for his role that he has played with us in promoting football, particularly in the indigenous community, so this is a bizarre statement from him, it's a completely stupid statement but you know, we will be dealing with it this morning and be putting something out later in the day," Demetriou said.

"It's just [that] he hasn't got a racist bone in his body this bloke, but this is a completely stupid, ignorant comment and totally unacceptable.

"But we will deal with it because you can't accept that sort of comment, it's just unacceptable today and there's no place for it in the Australian community."

The revelation comes as former Richmond player Mal Brown yesterday defended his reference to Aboriginal players as "cannibals" at a Melbourne luncheon this week. Brown yesterday apologised for his comments.

It also follows former rugby league champion Andrew Johns's resignation from the NSW State of Origin team last week for calling an indigenous opponent a "black c---".

Source: theage.com.au

(Dan - only posted article here as I didn't want to litter the news page with rubbish AFL stories. This one only relates to this thread.)

CW racism is not a complex issue.  Racism is a clear issue.  Calling someone a black coon, ****, abo, or whatever is racist behaviour, ergo, Johns is a racist.  It seems to me that the media wholly condemned him, and rightly so.  The issue is not a polarizing one, it's just wrong.  And it's not 'politically' incorrect, it's socially incorrect, and again, just plain wrong.  This is not an issue that one can sit on any fence, racism must be condemned in all its manifestations.  End of story really.      

I'll share a personal experience of mine whilst managing a Westpac sub-branch more than 20 years ago for a local aboriginal council in Alice Springs.

One of my tellers was copping abuse from an old drunken aboriginal man. All staff in this sub-branch were aboriginal except for me. The teller in question couldn't cope with this guy, he was drunk and in to pick up the dole cheque that he had already picked up the day before! When I insisted that he had already cashed in his cheque and provided proof to that effect he totally lost it and called me a "white dingo c**t". The idea of this drunk calling me that just cracked me up and I couldn't stop laughing. The more seriously I tried to take him the worse it got trying to contain my laughter.

Would you believe that I was reprimanded because this guy complained about me laughing at him. They conveniently ignored what he had called me and that he was blind drunk at the time. Stupid thing was that I was not in the least bit offended. Found it bloody funny though.

Oh, and Westpac sucks. I resigned within two weeks.

DSM5 we agree on most of this. I am unequivocapble on the issue that it is wrong. It needs to be stamped out. However, there are lots of inconsistencies in this - look at the article on Dipper. He goes away with Michael Long fishing and yet refers to an unknown person in a derogatory fashion. His words don't match up with his behaviour. We are dealing with complex adults - not primary kids. As said, I agree with your stance -it's wrong - and condemn Johns  as you do but it isn't quite as simple as you make out. Having lived with mixed races in the country has helped me to learn that.

Utility Player link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=183626.msg267348#msg267348 date=1276839016]
unequivocapble

Making up words won't help your case CW.
[/quote].. lol .. but he will still try  :D

DSM5 link said:
CW racism is not a complex issue.  Racism is a clear issue.  Calling someone a black coon, c**t, abo, or whatever is racist behaviour, ergo, Johns is a racist.   It seems to me that the media wholly condemned him, and rightly so.  The issue is not a polarizing one, it's just wrong.  And it's not 'politically' incorrect, it's socially incorrect, and again, just plain wrong.  This is not an issue that one can sit on any fence, racism must be condemned in all its manifestations.  End of story really.     

It might be classified as racisit behaviour however that behaviour does not automatically means Johns is racist. 

I have in the past used the same type of language as johns, but only to friends and people i know don't have a problem with it.  ( i cop back as good as i give also).  My wife is south indian and we have 2 boys.  If i am racist, i am going to bloody great lengths to hide it.  I will freely put my hand up to be labeled "johnsist".  I really can't stand either of these two dribbling idiots

Garts, if one behaves in a racist manner, they are a racist.  And mozgrame, stop digging holes, it's annoying reading your dribble. 

DSM5 link said:
Garts, if one behaves in a racist manner, they are a racist.  And mozgrame, stop digging holes, it's annoying reading your dribble.

Gee DSM, you really know how to make a newbie feel welcome don't you.

DSM5 link said:
Garts, if one behaves in a racist manner, they are a racist.   And mozgrame, stop digging holes, it's annoying reading your dribble.

It is not that simple.  So if you are playing a game of footy and slap your team mate on the arse or give him a kiss after scoring a try that is classed as behaving in a homosexual manner.  Based on your logic you would be homosexual.  

You may well be Garts, that doesn't mean you should call the guy a black homo, or he in turn, call you the same.  Male kissing doesn't necessarily mean homosexual, nor a slap on the arse, because both those behaviours are not confined to the homosexual fraternity.  Many men touch each other in a friendly, non-threatening way.  But calling one a black **** is racist, just as is calling a guy a homo **** is homophobic.  Male kissing and touching is considered socially acceptable, disparaging remarks about people's colour are not.         

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8