Gallop causing demise of NRL teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
hmmmm

Can't wait to see old foes Cronulla bight the dust. I'd say (if reports in the paper are true) that by end of season that 800K debt to the ATO is going to start weighing very heavily around their necks (prb. be close to a mil by then).

Can't say as I'll be upset either... a leaner meaner NRL ... hell yeah!
This is RL fellas... only the strong survive.

Not sure about letting the bears in the back door as CC Bears?! I think CC deserve a fresh start with none of the bagage - but thats just my 2 cents worth.

Expansion def. needs to occur, and QLD and CC both deserve more/some representation. + there are plenty of fringe areas that could be viable (combined Islands team, WA, NT , etc)

Let the blood letting begin (i.e. Sharks, Roosters) :D :D

You've also got to ask why is the AFL going so strong?

Most teams have plenty of members and routinely get bumper crowds attending.  Even the Sydney Swans are averaging just under 30,000 so far this year.

The NRL needs to look at them and follow what they are doing.

And we all know Melbourne is a cold and wet place but that doesn't stop people going out and supporting their team.

Matabele link said:
Hasn't it been good having a 3-m game the last two Saturdays?  You'd think the penny would drop, but it won't.
novelty games

do you rememeber what the crowds were like when it was a permanent fixture?

Rodo, If  one team called Sydney can't get more than 30000 in Sydney, I'd be very concerned.  The AFL crowds are shrinking.  Little wonder they've gone cold on the second team.  TV rights, money, clubs finances, scheduling, should be being discussed now.  Not in 2012.  I hope it is.   

DSM5, but that doesn't explain why all the Melbourne AFL teams are doing very well.  Even the Melbourne Demons which are on the bottom of the comp are averaging more than 30,000 per game.  And the others down there are averaging more, some up in the 50,000 per game.  Sure they have bigger grounds (eg. MCG) but they can still pull big crowds.

So following your your logic, the Storm should be getting many more people to their games as they are a one team town.  But somehow they have never been able to get a sizeable crowd to watch them play.

I think Gallop has to go.  We need someone who can make the hard decisions and has a vision.  Things need to change now.

For mine there is 1 major factor

Rugby League is great on TV, and as good as being at the ground live

AFL is an average TV sport, far better at the game than at home

Bring back Sat and Sun footy anyday plus cut out the ripoff merchants selling beer for $8 can and you might get the fans back to the game.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
What don't supporters just stop being softcocks and harden up. Not going to a game because it is cold is as soft as it comes
You're used to the cold Kiwi, us Aussies are accustomed to great weather conditions. Most Queenslanders will put on a jacket if the temp drops below about 24c. We like our beer cold but not our bodies.

TokyoEagle link said:
All clubs should be able to decide when and where they are going to play all of their home games, let the TV companies work around the game not the other way around.
They should tell PayTV to get F'd, take the cash on offer from one of the free to air companies and then see how much PayTV is offering and how willing they are to compromise.

Is it possible to imagine talk at NRL headquarters of fans being privileged over TV networks, clubs rather than TV networks controlling scheduling, negotiating TV deals driven by the game's interests rather than media interests, NRL officials not inflaming media-favoured scandals, etc, whilst Murdoch owns the game?

Meanwhile the AFL, Rugby Union, Football, etc control their own destinies.

Partly on the same track is the ridiculous scenario where games are only scheduled 5 weeks in advance.  Compare that to AFL and Super 14 who announce the full season schedule 6 months before the season kicks off.

Similar would allow out of town people to make long term plans, clubs to budget properly and arrange events (eg Beaver's last home game) months in advance and promote them properly, and would also stop poorly performed clubs continually consigned to the graveyard slots (which only heightens their financial woes).

Matabele link said:
Compare that to AFL and Super 14 who announce the full season schedule 6 months before the season kicks off.

Similar would allow out of town people to make long term plans, clubs to budget properly and arrange events (eg Beaver's last home game) months in advance and promote them properly, and would also stop poorly performed clubs continually consigned to the graveyard slots (which only heightens their financial woes).

Now come on Matas, that just makes too much sense.

Bad career move.  You'll never make an MRL (Murdoch Rugby League) official with that kind of talk Matas....  privileging fans, players, clubs and the game.

The Knights are opposed to the Central Coast Sharks/Bears and claim that a Central Coast team could survive only by significantly cutting into the fans base and marketing of Newcastle and Manly.  Wonder if Manly management share that view, and if so, would they be consulted before $8m was given to a Sydney team to move there?

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/burraston-fears-fulltime-central-coast-team/1506565.aspx

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6