LiveBlog GAME DAY - Manly v Broncos Round 21, 2015 - Toovey Farewell Tour [1298628]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm revising my prediction for the Donkeys game, previously I said " Donkeys by a heap".

I now say " Donkeys just, in the scare of their lives ".

I just don't think our bench is strong enough, unless of course Milford & Hunt go off injured, then it's " game on".

I really fear no one will a flying ****.

Probably wrong but its and option.

Milford and Hunt will run riot through our flimsy defense. Heads down with the coach sacking and finals hopes gone anyway. It's donkeys by 26
You'd expect that Mick, lord knows I do BUT stranger things have happened !!

Just thought i'd like to share a tooves story:
as im pretty young (still in my teens to be exact), I never got to see the legend play. But my father loves him is still livid at his sacking. Anyway when i was younger, after a game, the boys went back to the leagues club for a function in the old auditorium and there was always a roped of area for officials and players only. So, whilst racing around to get all the signatures i could from players outside the area, i saw tooves (who was assistant coach). So as i was giving him my jersey, he says "can you hold my beer" and gives it to me to hold. So theres me, 7 years old, holding geoff tooveys beer as he says "hey, don't drink it" and "i saw you have a sip" jokingly. So he finishes signing my jersey and i hand back his beer and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Until he says "who else do you need" and i mumble back "dessie" so he takes me under his arm, into the cornered off area and gets me dessies signature; then we see kitey (i think) and he goes" do you needs brent's too?". We spend a good 15 minutes in there getting my jersey signed by all the players and geoff came across as one of the nicest people i have ever met. I mean he had all the time in the world for us fans as opposed to people like choc for example who would say "not today" occasionally when people asked him for photos or a signature. He brought me back to my parents and my dad spoke to him for a while after. It was that moment that started my respect for tooves; along with all dad's stories. So as a young fan who never witnessed geoff playing but has experienced his whole coaching career, his axing angers me. And these idiots running the club (penn, kelly, ZtH) piss me off no end. Long live Geoff Toovey; great player, greater bloke.

Milford and Hunt will run riot through our flimsy defense. Heads down with the coach sacking and finals hopes gone anyway. It's donkeys by 26
I think Manly's defense has been pretty good lately.
Great in the Warriors game.
It's the attack that worries me more - need a forward platform and for Cherry and Foran to be ON.
NYEagle

as im pretty young (still in my teens to be exact), I never got to see the legend play. But my father loves him is still livid at his sacking. Anyway when i was younger, after a game, the boys went back to the leagues club for a function in the old auditorium and there was always a roped of area for officials and players only. So, whilst racing around to get all the signatures i could from players outside the area, i saw tooves (who was assistant coach). So as i was giving him my jersey, he says "can you hold my beer" and gives it to me to hold. So theres me, 7 years old, holding geoff tooveys beer as he says "hey, don't drink it" and "i saw you have a sip" jokingly. So he finishes signing my jersey and i hand back his beer and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Until he says "who else do you need" and i mumble back "dessie" so he takes me under his arm, into the cornered off area and gets me dessies signature; then we see kitey (i think) and he goes" do you needs brent's too?". We spend a good 15 minutes in there getting my jersey signed by all the players and geoff came across as one of the nicest people i have ever met. I mean he had all the time in the world for us fans as opposed to people like choc for example who would say "not today" occasionally when people asked him for photos or a signature. He brought me back to my parents and my dad spoke to him for a while after. It was that moment that started my respect for tooves; along with all dad's stories. So as a young fan who never witnessed geoff playing but has experienced his whole coaching career, his axing angers me. And these idiots running the club (penn, kelly, ZtH) piss me off no end. Long live Geoff Toovey; great player, greater bloke.
Great post from a young fan. It's understandable why those who are old enough to have watched Toovey play, have loved him at Manly for years and always will.
Nice to hear that Toovey's had a positive effect on the younger generation too. Thanks for sharing your story.

At least we will have a new coach next year who won't be so blinkered in selections.
There is not one shred of evidence that is true. I am one who felt change was needed, but statements like that are just ridiculous. We shall find out soon enough what his selections are like.

And how much were the Warriors supposed to beat us by last week? I wouldn't be giving up just yet ;)

Well said young man , brought a tear to my eye reading it!!

Hasson is a liability, no doubt. His tackling can be ok at times, but his hit ups are a waste of time. However, right now forwards aren't exactly thick on the ground at Manly with five currently out with knee injuries and others such as BJ seriously underdone.

For the time being his selection in the top grade is more of necessity than it is because he's in sparkling form and simply can't be left out.

We're going to be short on props for this match. I'd say let Jake play 50-60 minutes because he can go all day, give Starling half a match and maybe bring Lawrence in as a surprise inclusion to play 20-25 minutes. The other bench forwards will just have to step up whatever way they can but none of them are suited for playing in the front row.

Last edited:
As one very disillusioned fan who is probably around your Dads age, I am taking that great story on board in a positively conscious way of remembering what Tooves is all about and leave the negative management crap where it belongs...in the toilet.

Unfortunately the team named is as a result of the injuries we've suffered.

6 players out with knee injuries, 5 of then being forwards.....and only 3 expected back on the field before 2016.

So will that be part of the training staff's downfall?

Can hear the boardroom antics
"Due to all the injuries the playing staff have received this year, someone must be held accountable"

I've just heard on good authority that Jughead Jones will make his comeback against the Donkeys.

Also the great "Mule" Hoskings is ready to go a passed his fitness test.

Oh wait that was a long time ago. Please disregard my earlier comments.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2