GAME DAY - Manly v Raiders[Round 5,2015]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matt Ballin will play 200 games for the Manly Sea Eagles against the Raiders in Albury
  • JON GEDDES
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 04, 2015 12:00AM

AS Sea Eagles ironman Matt Ballin prepares to play his 200th NRL game on Saturday, he has paid tribute to his greatest supporter.

The warhorse forward, who racked up his 182nd consecutive game last year, says he would not have achieved all the success he has if his wife Shannan had not been on the journey with him.

Manly plays the Canberra Raiders in Albury on Saturday.

458971-fab0799e-d986-11e4-bde2-90f29debd666.jpg

Matt Ballin is playing his 200th game on Saturday.

“I met her in Brisbane before I was playing first grade or anything like that,” Ballin said.

“She has been with me all along and has seen all the times I have been plugging away in reserve grade.

“At Manly I spent a lot of time playing reserve grade and I had some doubts sometimes it was ever going to happen.

“But she has been by my side and a great support throughout all the hard times and the good times.

“A family is a team and when one is struggling the other has to step up.”

The club is flying Shannan and their three children Fletcher, Murphy and Mackenzie to Albury on Saturday to watch the Sea Eagles’ quiet achiever achieve his milestone.

For a proud family man, that will only add to the occasion.

“Having some children who love coming to the game and love watching the game and love talking about footy and playing footy themselves now, it’s really special,” Ballin said.

“They are in the sheds after the game and it’s really nice to have them around.”

Ballin arrived at Manly from Queensland in 2004 and did the hard yards before making his first grade debut in round three of 2007 against the Tigers.

“It took me a while to get into first grade and the club has been very good to me and provided me with a great career,” he said.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey said Ballin was right up there with the toughest players to have ever pulled on a Manly jumper.

“His record shows that, he doesn’t shirk the hard work and does 40-50 tackles a game,” Toovey said.

And Ballin admits he sets pretty high standards and expectations for myself.

“I’ve always been very driven on an individual basis from a young age to be successful in rugby league,” he said.

A win on Saturday would be a fitting reward for Ballin and help the Sea Eagles get their premiership campaign back on track.

“I don’t know if it is the toughest time, it’s definitely a testing and challenging period at the club,” he said.

“We haven’t started well, we have won one out of four games

“Manly has always been known to be resilient and have our backs against the wall and have that attitude that everyone is against us.

“We really use that to motivate us and I can see that being the case now.”

Ballin has given the Sea Eagles a boost ahead of Saturday’s game by re-signing with the club until the end of 2017.

Wet weather predicted. Hopefully the smarts and kicking skills of our halves will give us the advantage.

Hard to believe I'm genuinely uncertain whether or not we'll beat the Raiders. Then again hard to believe we have 8 out due to injury. Fingers crossed, holding breath.

I think they will get us comfortably away from Brookie.They should have beaten the mob that kept us easily in check last week and we have lost a couple more to injury ( how many is that now!!!)PLUS the 6 continues to exert his hangdog influence on the rest of the group.

Can't wait to see our young guys get a run.Could be the start of an exciting new era for the club.Not overly concerned with the result but I am confident WIlliame and the Turbos will go well.

It feels like watching us circa 2003, praying for a win. Looking at any angle to find a positive and not that confident but internally hopeful.
Manly by 6.

Manly by 8
Stewart man of Match and to bag 3 tries
Have felt confident all week
We will then lose against Penrith next week followed by a suprise win over the dogs @ ANZ in 2 weeks time

As bad as the Faders are, with so many out this will be tough gig for Manly.

Our slick back line won't be so slick and our forwards , well sadly at the moment are not quite up to the task.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion the boys might lift for this one , only because as players they would have to be embarrassed at their last game.

A few days ago I said Manly by 8, I'll stick to that, come on boys a win for the first time the Turbo boys play together in first grade would be really something.

Losing is not an option - the Raiders are not a cohesive Team and Manly have 2.5 million dollars talent just in our halves @:cool:

Foz and Chez must take ownership of games and kick us into the good field positions that our weakened Pack can not get us into @:cool:

Just saw the Club photos of Mike Eden with the Players in Albury. Anyone who wants to learn to kick could get some lessons from Mike. I remember him as a high percentage round the corner style kicker @:)

Last edited:
As bad as the Faders are, with so many out this will be tough gig for Manly.

Our slick back line won't be so slick and our forwards , well sadly at the moment are not quite up to the task.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion the boys might lift for this one , only because as players they would have to be embarrassed at their last game.

A few days ago I said Manly by 8, I'll stick to that, come on boys a win for the first time the Turbo boys play together in first grade would be really something.

Our "slick" backline has been as slick as dry tarmac of late @Mark from Brisbane !!

I'm hugely keen to see the Turbo boys playing together tho. I've not seen Tom in action yet: if he's as good as his brother our future is in good hands. Jake is dead set awesome in my opinion. Kid hits the line hard and has this wonderfully old school rib cracking tackling technique that I've not seen for years. Recently tackling has been about stopping offloads and slowing the play the ball down, and this is achieved via wrestling style rubbish. An old coach of mine once said "you won't offload with your ribs getting busted", and he was right... Jake got the same advice at one point it would seem :)

Teams finalised

Sea Eagles

1 Brett Stewart
2 Cheyse Blair
3 Brayden Wiliame
5 Peta Hiku
20 Tom Trbojevic
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Luke Burgess
9 Matt Ballin
10 Willie Mason