Game/Moment of the year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Now the season is done, let’s have a look back at what sticks out for you over the past 6 months (for some the highlight may be the season already being over). These will be a different for everyone based on various factors, and see that there may be some fond memories from this season after all

Game of the year for me, the win over the Roosters, will set the scene for why

My wife’s grandfather had passed away the weekend before, we had to drive up to the North Island for the funeral. Sunday the alarm went off at 4.30am, I was already crook, set off for Wellington for the early ferry sailing. The sailing was tougher than Garry Jacks face after Roberts was done with it, the young fellas spewing within half an hour. Get off that, drive an hour or so, stop for some lunch, set off again and an hour later the wife asks if I’ve seen her phone, we figure out it is still at the lunch spot, so we turn around and add 2 hours into the journey home. An hour from home, get a phone call that my uncle is on his way out and it may happen that night

Finally get home around 8pm, absolutely shattered, but have avoided the score. Tempted to check the score before i start watching given I had no expectations of a win, but stick it out, and got rewarded with a great Manly effort, the Schuster ball to Ben T to get in front and then the awesome scrambling D to save the game at the end was a sensational end to a **** day, and will stick in my memory for a long time

Moment of the year, the immediate standout for me, was in an isolated incident the huge tackle on Olam at Brookie, but the whole defensive style and effort in that game gave me great hope, sadly it wasn’t repeated again

The two games Turbo showed up for before Origin 1 and Origin 2. 42-14 away at Canberra and 58-18 vs the Dolphins. Especially the Phins game, Friday night of a long weekend at a packed Brookie, Garrick having a blinder in the centres, Koula scoring his first tries of the season outside Schuey, some great tries including the one where Croker kicked whilst being tackled.

A great night that one, but was followed up by a dreadful loss at Parra then Turbo getting injured in origin. All over from there

I’ve really enjoyed the last 4 games. Not so much as individual moments, more for the fact the boys have basically had nothing to play for other than pride, yet they have still got stuck in and worked hard for one another in those games and shown sone strong camaraderie. Certainly a positive heading into 2024.

More individually the hit on Olam (which I truly don’t believe he’s recovered from mentally yet).

And as noted above the game v Dolphins at home. That one really sent Wayne and Redcliffe crashing back to earth.

A few to mention for me.

1) Seeing Justin Olam charging into our defence but getting completely folded backwards by 2 of our players. Ola being the main contributor. One of the biggest tackles in recent memory

2) Really enjoyed being the first team to put 50 points on the Dolphins in a game. We were very close to making it 60

3) Beating the Dragons in Wollongong with a lopsided possession percentage against us was special too

1) the inside ball to an explosive koula and him then busting the line with speed.. easily the best footy instincts in a manly jersey this year and further, demonstrates players finally developing ‘footy smarts‘
**very patient, but it has been a while coming
2) Justin Olam getting crushed and reportedly hasn’t been good since lol

Great topic @Kiwi Eagle and you really set the scene beautifully, top post!

More individually the hit on Olam (which I truly don’t believe he’s recovered from mentally yet).
Possibly physically as much as mentally, it was a truly monstrous shot that basically wiped out his season. I hope he eventually makes a full recovery (seemed to run strongly when called up for the last round).

The win against Melbourne for me. That match proved that this team is good enough, the end of the season reinforced it too.

A bit of better roster balance and some luck with injuries will be all we need to be right up there next year.

In hindsight my favourite game was way back in our second game, a strong win against the Eels.
Aside from being our tradtional rivals they were coming off a grand final appearance in 2022 and were absolutely desperate, having lost their 2 opening games.

There had been plenty pointing out our sad record v top sides, so that win felt like a bit of breakthrough moment and showed what Manly is capable of. We led from the start but they threw everything at us and each time we looked clear they came back within striking distance. But, as if to show this was a new year and a different tougher Manly, we held on for the win.

My other best games were beating Storm, beating Raiders, and the second win v Dogs. Because in each case, we'd stumbled with a few losses but showed we could come back strongly, all the way to the end of the season, which I thought showed good heart and improvement.

Best single moment, this one from a couple of days ago, a timely reminder for me, that although the club is still scratching around trying to find the magic formula, we've got some real stars and, with a bit of luck, we'll be right in the hunt next year.

Last edited:
That brief moment when the stars aligned for Schu and Tom and it seemed like we were serious contenders.

DCE standing tall all year.

How they showed up for the last four games + tried something different.

Definitely the Storm game and the big win at GIO Stadium Faders game, the Raiders preeser afterwards was priceless. Ricky didn't say a lot think he was just to stunned and defeated to say anything meaningful..lol.

First 50 min against the gummies was the stuff that dreams are made of… we played expansive and everything stuck… last 30 not so much…

Schusters kick for Parker - just an all-time WTF moment that will live in my memory for way too long…

I’ve really enjoyed the last 4 games. Not so much as individual moments, more for the fact the boys have basically had nothing to play for other than pride, yet they have still got stuck in and worked hard for one another in those games and shown sone strong camaraderie. Certainly a positive heading into 2024.

And as noted above the game v Dolphins at home. That one really sent Wayne and Redcliffe crashing back to earth.
As regards to Olam, Cam Smith said on Friday night, the reason why Olam hasn't played much 1st grade was because of that big double tackle and the loss of confidence thereafter.

Thanks so much for this @Kiwi Eagle - great topic and very timely...boosts the spirits whilst dampening the disappointment of missing the finals.

Highlight games for me are 'that' Storm game, vs Raiders at GIO and beating the Dragons in the 'Gong, finally.

Highlight event was winning the Pre-Season Challenge and a special moment was DCE 'gifting' Jake his try in his milestone game and a fitting way to end the season.

Highlight event was winning the Pre-Season Challenge and a special moment was DCE 'gifting' Jake his try in his milestone game and a fitting way to end the season.
That was pretty awesome… I was having dinner at a friends and about 6 adults all got excited by Jake getting the meat pie… 5 of those are not Manly but appreciate what a great human the bloke is…

Was a nice moment…

Actually think that one of the better and impressive efforts was that quite tenacious comeback against the Knights [ i st game ] in the latter stages to almost pip them when the game seemed well out of reach at that point .
Showed some serious fight back qualities and ability , not always replicated through the season but nevertheless , an indication that there were some fighting qualities there somewhere ..
Certainly also excellent results against the Storm [ i st game ] and Raiders but those wins against the Eels and Sharks again exposed Manly "s vulnerability to give up comfortable leads and almost concede games then , like a couple of games last season .
Anyway just my take .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8