Garrick...apology

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I know this has been posted in the Rumoured signing thread, however I thought I’d throw it out here for discussion.

WINGER IN DEMAND

Manly winger Reuben Garrick is off contract and attracting much attention from rival clubs, according to his agent David Riolo. “We’ve spoken to Manly but they’re not where we want to be at this stage.” Being such an accomplished goal-kicker adds to Garrick’s value. He has an 80 per cent strike rate this year going into the game against the Knights.

With Koula coming through and likely to be pushing hard for a spot in 2022, is Reuben going to unfortunately be one to make way?

With Garrick, Parker and Walker all off contract clearly not all will be staying on.
Happy to keep Garrick and Parker if the price is right - no need to break the bank for either though imo!
As for Walker... we have not really missed him and feel like we could spend his high dollars elsewhere!

This compounds the Garrick situation but I’ve had intel that we where in talks with Blake Ferguson around 2 months ago. I’m not sure if it’s still on the cards but this could explain what is going on with Garrick.

LOL. Your intel must have been completely bonkers wrong. Why would Manly even think of signing Fergo?
Yes his performance against Manly two weekends ago should have put paid to any thoughts on that front!

The obvious one to lose is Walker. There is little to show for his 5+ seasons at Manly other than a stint pockmarked by off-field incidents and the odd brain explosion onfield, serving in stark contrast to Gutherson’s problem free and successful stint at Parramatta.

Yes his performance against Manly two weekends ago should have put paid to any thoughts on that front!

The obvious one to lose is Walker. There is little to show for his 5+ seasons at Manly other than a stint pockmarked by off-field incidents and the odd brain explosion onfield, serving in stark contrast to Gutherson’s problem free and successful stint at Parramatta.

Although I like Walker, I tend to agree with you.
Harper and Parker show commitment and tenacity in defence.
Walker and Suli do not.

Gutherson does suffer from being a right royal wanker though.
I think that's why they call him King.

Gutherson does suffer from being a right royal wanker though.
I think that's why they call him King.
Depends what you prefer - a bloke who is putting on a bit of gamesmanship on behalf of his team? Something he is presumably encouraged to do in that environment.

Or a flog who more than once has soiled the reputation of the club he represents, with appearances in court before a magistrate?

I know which one I prefer.

Last edited:
You don't pay overs for wingers, they are a dime a dozen. Any outside back can play wing. If Garrick wasn't kicking goals he really isn't a big value add in my opinion. He doesn't do anything that 90% of the wingers in the comp can't do. Not saying he is bad but he isn't a game breaker by any means.

You don't pay overs for wingers, they are a dime a dozen. Any outside back can play wing. If Garrick wasn't kicking goals he really isn't a big value add in my opinion. He doesn't do anything that 90% of the wingers in the comp can't do. Not saying he is bad but he isn't a game breaker by any means.
That’s very true which is why he will either stay or go. They will not break the bank to keep him. If he is offered big money elsewhere, he would be mad not to take it.

Harper Saab combo is our premiership winning combo. We have to keep that in tact. That left hand side has some question. Would love to resign garrick and parker for cheap and let go off walker. But i think that Tuipulutua and Koula can be the future of that left hand side, great young talents with the speed and x factor of the modern day outside back. Both can also develop well to become a fullback cover for Tom incase of injuries or origin. But we can't just let go off three of our outside backs, not ideal for our depth. I really am warming up to Parker, he is sooooo good defensively that is almost makes me forget how slow he is for us in attack. But he is not as error prone as he used to be and he isn't doing much wrong in attack, it's just most of his half chances are created into real chances by any other talented modern day outside back. With Garrick, 2020 aside, been solid during our season revival with Tom and has been improving game by game. Especially with the goalkicking, probably only goalkicker we have in our top 30. Walker I would let go off instantly, not worth the trouble he has put us through.

I know this has been posted in the Rumoured signing thread, however I thought I’d throw it out here for discussion.

WINGER IN DEMAND

Manly winger Reuben Garrick is off contract and attracting much attention from rival clubs, according to his agent David Riolo. “We’ve spoken to Manly but they’re not where we want to be at this stage.” Being such an accomplished goal-kicker adds to Garrick’s value. He has an 80 per cent strike rate this year going into the game against the Knights.

With Koula coming through and likely to be pushing hard for a spot in 2022, is Reuben going to unfortunately be one to make way?

With Garrick, Parker and Walker all off contract clearly not all will be staying on.

And also in here for discussion

so at least plenty of us wanna discuss it, which is a good thing!

Understandable that there would be a certain limit that Manly would be prepared to outlay for a type of player such as Reuben and when an obvious talent like Koula is emerging . Plenty of good attributes with Reuben , good club man , certainly playing well this season again , recognized goal kicker and obviously likes being with the club . Tough one , Saab a real weapon now , Koula pretty close to a must keep category , be good to retain him and he has a bit of versatility as well but only at a realistic contract level for Manly .

I am not advocating Manly pulling out the cheque book to retain Sandwich but he is another good example of a player finding form when they are playing for a contract...

...I swear if clubs only offered 1 year deals we would have the most amazing football played every week...
maybe its a case of him getting better quality ball this year than last year i.e. the players inside him are giving him more opportunities.
also his goal kicking haas improved this year as well

maybe its a case of him getting better quality ball this year than last year i.e. the players inside him are giving him more opportunities.
also his goal kicking haas improved this year as well
quite possibly but, as you say, his game has improved overall... nobody was taking the (sh*t) hit-ups for him last year or kicking the (terrible) goals...

I am sure he was trying last year too, I just find it amazing that sooooo many players start playing out of their skin when their livelihood goes on the line... well not amazing, more typical of humans generally....

Garrick has improved a lot since the beginning of the season. His contributions lately have been very good. We can't pay overs for him, but if he is prepared to take reasonable money to stay with us (on a two year deal), then we should keep him. Any longer then that we should say no. It's up to him and his manager, and the club to agree to a realistic contract value.

We have options which means Garrick is holding a pair of 3's and trying to bluff his way out.

This is just a manager trying to maximise his clients pay packet and in turn his commission.

If he can get some club to pay overs, he should take it. He's good. But Ken Irvine he aint.

DCE hasn't been great all year even in the wins. Yes he has moments where his long kicking game gets Manly in good field position, yes he has some nice early long flat balls to his outside backs on the right (that are sometimes overdone and overused out of franticness) but he still looks like he is lacking confidence and running directness.

Now i know running directness has never been DCE's strong point, DCE can crab and beat a defender several times sideways and still not penetrate the line with the best of them---it can look good from an adlib perspective but that's about it.

A technically good ball playing runner of the ball will "quickly" engage a defender at pace in the most direct manner possible(especially when there is numbers and space) but DCE will over complicate either through a rash hard long pass, crab sideways too much and cramp his options or generally overplay his hand.

Take for example Tom's pass for Jake's try at Brisbane, DCE is in the usual position on the right (yes this helps Tom by attracting defenders on DCE's side---but i doubt this is DCE's reasoning just more where he positions himself in this instance) but it is Tom playing like a good half should by getting in short at pace stepping to the side to engage the defender and hitting the short pass early and direct to Jake----this is what DCE should be doing more often and owning the middle when there is a fast play the ball and especially against a team down on numbers.

The Croker try short at the line to me was not a pass intended for Croker, it was delivered at such pace for a further in option----great hands from Croker though, could easily have dropped the ball due to an overly frantic hard pass aimed for someone else---again over complicating the simple.

By the way on a side note Tom's try off Josh's inside pass to me was forward but i have no problem backing the Ref as he was in line with the pass.(i still think refs just take the easy safe "backed in science option" of momentum to not call it as it is plus why ruin a nice long range try when the game was already over) Josh was running at pace(so yeah momentum has a big part) but is running ever so slightly diagonal and away from Tom making a pass back inside almost impossible at pace, along with the short distance of the pass.
I agree obviously, pretty much been harping on about it for years but many people swear black and blue that he engages the line directly every game frequently. What am i missing because what i see is him avoiding the line and direct is not a word i associate with DCE. Been one of our best apart from the first 4 games also......apparently. I missed that too

He and sirro/ lane used to have a play where he would fade accross the line and put sirro in gaps from 10 out but he is no luke keary in terms of committing defenders.

He has some moves but a traditional number 7 role he doesnt provide often and our team needs it.

It was a nice play last week to commit players in to provide a gap, sweet move but very rare.we miss someone who makes the defence worry right now

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12