Genuine Thoughts about Hasler 12 months on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Let's look at the other Grand Final teams that changed coaches in 2012

1 - Warriors, their transition was not clean. But we knew it was going to happen. The guy inherited a team many thought could take it out - DUCK EGG for that guy. If I am not mistaken first NRL coach to go in 2012

2 - Collingwood. The highly esteemed Mick Malthouse led the Pies to back to back GF's after the most exciting GF in recent memory (2010) they went into 2011 with high expectations, it was well known that his assistant was going to take the reins in 2012. Despite this the team performed well during the year, and were beaten by sublime team in the GF. Their transition was "clean" but Malthouse did start taking pot shots mid season (2012).

How would Buckley go in 2012? with a team by and large made up of the same players? Well bugger me they went out in the QF. How out their supporters reacting? well there is the obvious ones saying IF ONLY! But I like this quote from a poster named burnsy17

"Sometimes you need to stick your hand up and acknowledge ITS NOT YOUR YEAR"

This year is not our year, and I sincerley doubt it would have been. I suspect that Melbourne is and always was the team

There was just so much underhanded crap going on, he was plotting his escape from the club long before anyone caught wind of it. He is a very calculated man that cannot be trusted in my opinion. He betrayed us all, fans, club and players alike.

Overall I think he is a wanker - great coach, yup but more a wanker.

Do I wish him well in his future career - nope he doesn't deserve it. The way he left was unprofessional and disgusting in my eyes.

Bring on the Toovey era I say !!

sean1976 said:
Ryan said:
Hamster Huey said:
Ryan said:
DSM5 said:
Did we ever finish higher than fourth the year after we won a GF?

Who cares. We are talking about this past season. No more, no less. Just because of a result four, eight, ten years ago, doesn't mean that should relate to this past season.

Also has nothing to do with losing the best coach, recruitment & supplementary staff in the game.

I reckon The Bulldogs will go pretty well next year as well.

I also hate them more than The Storm, who I will be barracking for this Sunday while I down a thousand cold ones.

I thinks it means a lot, Ryan. Most 'experts' had Manly gone before the season started, then started on the conjecture about Des moving on our playing group. More board room ruptures, runs of injuries and suspensions and some horror scheduling at various times of the year.

You could be forgiven that the club sans Des was ready to give up without firing a shot on the 2012 season and people would be ready to accept that as the likely outcome.

But it didn't happen.

We had some inconsistancy a times but we also saw a rookie coaching group pull the on-field and support elements of the club together, enough to see us retain the key players we were supposed to have lost (because of Des, apparantly).

Like a young talent in the game having a scratchy season after missing a good pre-season, we've now got the key players on and off the field more prepared and hungry for a better result next season.

Des was never the be-all and end-all of the club, just as no one person has ever been for us. He leaves a legacy that can be built on, but he also developed those traits during his time at the club over two decades...it works both ways.

The positive to take is that for every great that moves on in the game, there is a future champion waiting for his chance to show his worth.

Now is Toovey's time.

I don't know mate. I shudder to think what Toovey would look like if he inherited the 2012 Parramatta Eels squad on paper.

I've said it plenty - this team of our is / WAS an all star mob. At the start of the season, with nominal players going, I thought we should and could be minor premiers and go back to back.

With Des at the helm, I don't think we would have lost to Canberra, Parra and Penrith in the season proper whilst they were struggling. I don't think we'd have lost the WCC. I don't think we'd have lost two finals matches out of three. Losing both our trials though, yeah, I'd assume they are ok to lose - Des really used them as that - trials.

You seem to have forgotten 09 and 10, forgettable years when we had a number of bad loses. We went out in 2010 exactly the same way as this year - thrashed by the Storm. Des was the coach then wasn't he. Lets not get too carried away with all this 'supercoach' bull****.

Sean in 2010 wecam 8th under Ha$ler, and played Dragons (1st) in the finals - but yes we were smashed. We had so many injuries we could barley field a team (although no excuses) - I remember it well . It was 2009 we were thrashed by the Storm (4th vs 5th) & we were eliminated.

If he wasn't so good.... if he wasn't the best there is.... I probably wouldn't hate him so much. But he is... so I do.

bones said:
If he wasn't so good.... if he wasn't the best there is.... I probably wouldn't hate him so much. But he is... so I do.

You are right - but I argue if he inherited what Tooves did he would not have done better, but these are hypotheticals. the difference being we can use Haslers history to point to his performance under similar circumstances

****ing germ, the look at his team at the dogs, they have 6 internationals?plus 3 soo reps. Still I hope storm pump them. We will be back, need some new blood in pigs.

Where I lost all respect for Hasler was in the stories the came out about how he was harrassing staff to go with him, sitting out the front of their houses for hours in his car waiting for them to come home and waving contracts at them, screaming his head off when they didnt sign. He's an obsessive personality who basically eats, sleeps, dreams and ****s football and nothing he does isn't calculated to the nth degree to promote his own interests.

Manly made him - took him from a nothing penrith disregard to international and from a club bus boy to head coach. Everything he is as a coach and everything he knows about football he got from the Manly club and manly culture. In this light, the way he exited and attempted to trash the joint is unforgivable.

Never forgive the Dogs...

But not for signing Des for 2013 and announcing it two days after the grand final. That was hard to stomach but fair enough.

What I can't forgive is the way that they then set about whiteanting Manly's premiership celebration week trying to get Des out for 2012.

The Dogs could have waited a month to do that. Instead they acted selfishly and in the process wrecked Manly's time to celebrate & to bring in more sponsors & members & sell merchandise.

That was gutless & disgusting behaviour.

De$ during the ticker tape parade through Manly after the GF said to reporters when asked about his coaching position "Show me the money". Very poor taste from a man with low morals. Let's now forget he had 18 months to run on his existing deal.

Good riddance to De$ the dog. The way he exited the club was utterly disgraceful. Maybe the board did not help matters but De$ can not blame the board for his lack of integrity and the way he carried on. Generally speaking, mature adults can eventually work out things amicably.

Des however showed no loyalty to Manly, the fans or his team members, whatsoever. De$ wanted what De$ wanted.

He tried to take as many people with him as he possibly could, showing disrespect for the club that literally helped him to get where he was. He was a talented player and then coach, but he also had some talented people around him and it was the team as a whole that were crowned Premier's in 2008 and 2011. I really question his integrity as a person and at the end of the day, who you are as a person and what you stand for in my book is far more important than money. Business is business De$, o.k. fair enough, go to the dog$, a club which will forever be marked in history as having cheated, a club with a bottomless pit of money (at the moment anyway), that can buy your ego and where you can have your dummy spits and get your way.

In the end De$ could not even have been trusted to perform his role with professionalism in 2012 at Manly, if he were to stay. This for a person who had been with Manly for so long, for any person actually contracted to do a job, is a disgrace, shame, shame, shame on you De$.

As far as the dog$ performance this year, well before De$ even came on board at the dog$ they had a playing roster with potential. So De$ is definitely not the sole reason for the dog$ getting to the grand final this year. If he had worked with a below average roster to make the GF then that is another story, but this is simply not the case.

Toovey and our boys have done us very proud this year, one game away from the GF, considering the circumstances, is an incredible achievement. Toovey was a better player, is a better man and I believe will be a better coach and is proving so, than Ha$ler, Toovey will go far. I look forward to supporting the Mighty Sea Eagles next year, the year after that and so on, ad infinitum.

Egocentric De$ tried to rip apart a great team, but he could not, he was defeated big time, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles are the true winners of the 2012 season.

Therefore even if for some reason the $torm fall completely apart and the scoreboard indicates a dog$ win on Sunday, they will not be the real winners of 2012, for this team, the coach and the board have proved what total losers they really are.

One word - Despot.

In the Tele today there was an article on Geoff Bugden.
He descibed Warren Ryan as "a great coach, a great tactical coach"
and Jack Gibson as "a great man who coached a football team".

Yes, Mr Hasler is a great coach but Tooves is a great man ( and bleeds maroon and white )

When you look reflect on your life, what would you rather be? A great coach or a great man.

It is highly likely that his manager approached Greenberg in March when it was obvious that he could only get a 1 year extension at Manly. He wanted at least 3 years .Forget all this rubbish about Greenberg chasing and getting his man. It was the other way around . There's nothing wrong of course with wanting security of tenure . However , all these "get out" clauses were just insurance for "father figure" Hasler in case he got sacked. Manly's recruitment was sabotaged by Hasler prioritising the resigning of ageing players.

He was as smug as I've ever seen him at the 2 press conferences following Canterbury's wins over Manly. When asked in the DT last Monday "Why do you love Canterbury so much?" his reply included "Canterbury is very fortunate that the Football Club Board and Leagues Club Board understand Rugby League." So he doesn't mind putting the boot in .

He will more than likely win the Grand Final with a chronically offside defensive line which the referees are too scared to penalise more than a couple of times a match . A few days later we'll have the obligatory story about how Des was back at work the very next day (even though it was a public Holiday) looking for an edge and this is what makes him so special (rather than...that's a bit strange...it puts the OC into obsessive compulsive).

At the end of the day to League aficionados he'll be judged by the number of premierships he's won . To Manly fans he'll polarise opinion. Maybe his book should be re-titled The Futility Player .

Earnie the Eagle said:
The way he left Manly will take more than 12 months to be forgotten, if ever.

To be ever be forgiven...not in my lifetime.

edit... and I hope he and Greenturd get shafted by the $torm on Sunday.

This

I'm not saying I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, I'm just saying I'd avoid the burning bits

Mr Krabs said:
What an ungrateful lot we are , he won us 2 comps as a player and 2 as a coach - you dont ever hear the broncos bag out wayne bennett

You're a dogs supporter.

We all know this.

So why keep pretending?

edit: KE and pepi beat me to it and covered off your dogness.

Sheesh, although Mr I spews hatred and vitriol against us on his own site (and I wish he would stay there for that reason), at least he doesn't try to pretend lamely that he is one of us on here.

edit edit: Oh yeah, Des. In one way I'm glad he kept things quiet until after the GF. St George didn't go to well when they found out Bennett was leaving. However for things that happened later, etc etc my mood ring and colour changing t-shirt agrees with the general consensus of this thread.

As the dust has now settled I can still look back at his achievements at our club - there is no question he was instrumental us a force again - and thank him for his role.

He is a skilled person and deserves to earn as much money as he can so I can't blame him for taking the cash offered at the Bulldogs. Maybe if we had different people on the Board we could have kept him, maybe not - who knows.

The way he left lacks class - taking our coaching staff, trying to take our best players, pot shots at the Board - he basically tried to dismantle our club on the way out.

He was destined to become one of the Manly greats, but as a result of the way he left he will never be thought of by me as being anywhere near the level of the likes of Arko and Beaver. I think that is a great shame for all concerned.

driftout said:
It is highly likely that his manager approached Greenberg in March when it was obvious that he could only get a 1 year extension at Manly. He wanted at least 3 years .Forget all this rubbish about Greenberg chasing and getting his man. It was the other way around . There's nothing wrong of course with wanting security of tenure . However , all these "get out" clauses were just insurance for "father figure" Hasler in case he got sacked. Manly's recruitment was sabotaged by Hasler prioritising the resigning of ageing players.

He was as smug as I've ever seen him at the 2 press conferences following Canterbury's wins over Manly. When asked in the DT last Monday "Why do you love Canterbury so much?" his reply included "Canterbury is very fortunate that the Football Club Board and Leagues Club Board understand Rugby League." So he doesn't mind putting the boot in .

He will more than likely win the Grand Final with a chronically offside defensive line which the referees are too scared to penalise more than a couple of times a match . A few days later we'll have the obligatory story about how Des was back at work the very next day (even though it was a public Holiday) looking for an edge and this is what makes him so special (rather than...that's a bit strange...it puts the OC into obsessive compulsive).

At the end of the day to League aficionados he'll be judged by the number of premierships he's won . To Manly fans he'll polarise opinion. Maybe his book should be re-titled The Futility Player .

Hasler initiated contact with the Dogs in June

driftout said:
A few days later we'll have the obligatory story about how Des was back at work the very next day (even though it was a public Holiday) looking for an edge and this is what makes him so special (rather than...that's a bit strange...it puts the OC into obsessive compulsive).

I wonder how his wife copes?

Phantar said:
driftout said:
A few days later we'll have the obligatory story about how Des was back at work the very next day (even though it was a public Holiday) looking for an edge and this is what makes him so special (rather than...that's a bit strange...it puts the OC into obsessive compulsive).

I wonder how his wife copes?

Maybe she prefers it that way?

I wonder if Adam Lucius is reading this, if he is I think you might have your answer Adam......we are NOT over it and NOT likely to be in the next 100 years!!

Print that if you wish, I won't be here in a hundred years to check but I bet Eagles fans still won't like the bastard!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6